Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 08:57 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think the thing to remember is that the OP actually has a rather high yearly income.
The op doesn't have a high income. She stated her husband (not her) has $100K income which isn't very much at all among 6 people in Hawaii.

They've tried to move to Seattle, Orange County, and Alpharetta - and none of those panned out - nor did the $150K income she said the recruiters said he was worth. So that makes it 0 for 4 on move places and income - I don't know what makes you think a Hawaii move is realistic or why you'd even try to bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 10:11 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
No, what I truly believe is that the Big Island has become such a mecca for the "minimalists" that if it continues to go down that route - it will never dig itself out of the huge hole it is currently in while the rest of the state thrives. But hey, that is the brutally honest opinion per the thread title.

And I don't think "minimalists" are all poor - but in my opinion a toxic environment for the Big Island when overdone with no balance - "minimalists" are never going to stimulate the BI economy which it so desperately needs.
I've been trying to say this for a while, but I've given up. I don't want to be called names etc., just because I am realistic and hold the interest of the state (even though I don't currently live there) over the questionable "dreams" of individuals. I have a full-time job, a full-time business and a bucket list that has 1 item that involves a sailboat and a year or two making the passage from So Cal to Hawaii and a bit of island hopping with a possible run to Tahiti. You have the Deck and the Con.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:17 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,172 times
Trixie,

I think you forgot that you asked people to be brutally honest! I don't think you should be so shocked or appalled, after all you asked for it!

Thanks for clarifying the remote IT work. I think that's the only way that you could afford to live in Hawaii, if you actually live there and still work in the mainland. I heard about Maui county IT workers only making $32k, which would be a drastic cut in pay if the salary was so low. Because of the time difference, your husband might turn into a third shift worker, which is a pain. I used to work third shift for years, switching back and forth between third shift during the work week and being awake on weekend during the daytime hours when your friends and family are awake. It's harder to switch back and forth the longer you work the graveyard shift.

It's still not clear about how you plan to educate your children. I don't think it would be legal anywhere in the United States for a parent to simply say they are not going to send their children to school because they don't believe in the education system. Although you could home school your children, but there may be some legal minimum requirements to home school your children.

You should do some research about the Big Island by reading a couple of inexpensive books written by people who moved to the Big Island. You can find the books by Googling "Your ideal Hawaii home" and "Your ideal Hawaii move".

Old 06-09-2013, 11:40 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Default A circle tour orientation around the Big Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie4 View Post
We are zooming in on Hilo at the moment - do you have any personal insight into this area as far as criminal activity goes? I think I have established that we will live simply - we have nice quality possessions but too few for any criminal to bother with!
Like any other town its size (44,000) Hilo has nice areas and not so nice areas. The nicer areas tend to be expensive, as you might expect. Since you are familiar with Google Maps, I suggest you "drive around" in Street View to check out any neighborhoods which have listings that appear promising to you. That should help you decide how much real life exploration time to plan there when you get to the island.

To be entirely forthright, Hilo itself and Puna District (South and East of Hilo) are the highest crime areas on the island... also the wettest... head to the opposite side of the island and the crime rates in both North and South Kona Districts are maybe 1/3 as high, (and the rainfall less than 1/3 as much)... but it's all relative, and I personally feel safer in Hilo than I did in many of the bigger mainland cities I've lived in. Just don't leave packages in your car, and stay away from dark corners if you're alone and been drinking... that about covers it. Oh, and carry an umbrella.

Heading north and west from Hilo along Highway 19 you go through a lot of little villages along the Hamakua Coast that vary in charm and cost, but are all pretty safe. Since you don't need schools or proximity to work this area might be attractive to you. But access to decent shopping requires a drive. Laupahoehoe is about 600 people and gets 96" of rain a year... about double what Asheville does. Honoka'a is about 2,300 people and gets an average of about 100" of rain annually.

Keep on going to Waimea, in the south Kohala District, and you'll find it to be a very nice little town of about 7,000. Longtime HQ of Parker Ranch, this is very popular with tourists, has lots of shops, and is quite safe. Getting to a beach takes some effort. The east side of town is rainy, the west side is dry... take your pick. A lot of it is light mists, let's call it 31" One of our regulars here can tell you much more if you're interested.

From Waimea you can take Highway 250 up to Hawi (54" rain), a chaming little town in the North Kohala District, up near the northenmost tip of the island. Expensive. Lots of retirees. Or you can take 60 across and 19 down the Kohala coast to the most expensive resorts on the island and some of the most expensive homes in the entire state (Michael Dell and Sergey Brin expensive). At the north end they only get 7" a year. All that lushness you see around the resorts? Very extensive irrigation.

Or just take 190 south. This drive down to Kona airport and Kailua-Kona goes through the driest section of the island. Much of it is actually classed as arrid desert, and some looks like the surface of the moon.

The north end of Kailua itself is actually in desert, and receives only 18" of rain annually, on average. The town itself is about 12,000 population, with maybe double that in the District overall, and a lot of its economic activity revolves around the tourist trade, because it has the best beaches and sunsets. So, lots of restaurants and stores hotels and people who work in them. Also lots of retirees. Quite safe. Several regulars here live in that area, and they'll probably chime in at some point.

A little further south is Captain Cook (45" annually) , about 3,500 residents, and now you're in the South Kona district where much of the famous coffee is grown. It's less densely populated than the Kailua area is, but still quite safe.

Then as everything thins out approaching the south end of the island, everything becomes more remote and crime starts to rise again. Hawaiian Ocean View Estates (HOVE) has been a bit of a hot spot for a long time, due to a lot of illegal construction, squats in the area, and drug activity, but I know people who have lived there a long time without problems.

Rounding Southpoint and heading up the Windward side you come to Naalehu, a sweet little town of about 1,000, 49" rain (just about the same as Asheville, NC, safe, but about as far from major shopping as you can get. Two nearby beaches, one black sand and one rocky, neither are good for swimming.

Another 10 miles or so north is Pahala, population 1,400, elevation 920 (on the highway climb up to Volcano). An old sugar mill town, temperature in the 70s year around, not much rain (25"?), safe, would probably be much more populous if it were not downwind of the volcano and catching so much of the vog.

25 miles north, at almost 4,000' elevation, the village of Volcano, population about 1,500. Too rainy for many people, Volcano gets about 100" a year, and also too cool for many, the area has long been a renowned arts colony, and is home to many scientists, attorneys, and other professionals. Safe, and unique, but definitely not for everyone. It's at the southern border of Puna District, and as you head northeast along the Belt Highway (11) you travel through what were once sugar fields, now carved up into cheap lots, with a few small congested areas (not really villages) along the way.

To the right as you head north (we say mauka, or towards the coast) are the first of the rough areas to avoid... Glenwood, Fern Forest, Eden Roc. There's a little area right around Mountain View where the schools are that's OK, but it gets a lot of rain. (129" annual)... ditto Keau'u (100"), which is 9 miles south of Hilo, and is a popular shopping area, as well as the turnoff point to head down into lower Puna on Highway 130.

Pahoa is another former sugar town, now about 1,000 residents, (133" rain annually) but with the fastest growing area in the county surrounding it. It's an odd push/pull, with wealthy owners of expensive homes rubbing shoulders with Nuevo Hippies in non-ironic tie-dyes and dreadlocks at the health food store. Quaint old time covered sidewalks on some shops delight the tourists, but locals complain that drug dealers hang out on the steps of First Hawaiian Bank every morning and block access to the ATMs and bank. The new Pahoa police station is not far away, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Keep heading down to the coast and hang a right and you'll come to Kalapana, the village that was burned out by volcanic eruptions several years ago. You can park and walk down to where the fresh lava spills into the ocean if you like. Safe during the day, but watch yourself at night.

Or turn to the left at the coast road instead, and take an absolutely lovely drive up the scenic Kahena-Pahoiki coastal drive. There are some lovely homes in the area, but probably out of your league. And when you get back away from the coast road it turns fairly rough pretty fast. But it sure is a pretty area.

Then drive back up Highway 130 to 11, turn right and 9 miles later you're in South Hilo, where the average rainfall is 126" annually.

So to recap, the Windward (East) side of the island, and the North Coast are wet, the Leeward (West) side and south end are dry. Puna District is where crime is highest. There's a lot of variety on the Big Island, and as the saying goes, different strokes for different folks, so maybe you'll find something you like.

I hope you find this useful.

Last edited by OpenD; 06-09-2013 at 11:58 PM..

Old 06-10-2013, 12:03 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Like any other town its size (44,000) Hilo has nice areas and not so nice areas. The nicer areas tend to be expensive, as you might expect. Since you are familiar with Google Maps, I suggest you "drive around" in Street View to check out any neighborhoods which have listings that appear promising to you. That should help you decide how much real life exploration time to plan there when you get to the island.

To be entirely forthright, Hilo itself and Puna District (South and East of Hilo) are the highest crime areas on the island... also the wettest... head to the opposite side of the island and the crime rates in both North and South Kona Districts are maybe 1/3 as high, (and the rainfall less than 1/3 as much)... but it's all relative, and I personally feel safer in Hilo than I did in many of the bigger mainland cities I've lived in. Just don't leave packages in your car, and stay away from dark corners if you're alone and been drinking... that about covers it. Oh, and carry an umbrella.

Heading north and west from Hilo along Highway 19 you go through a lot of little villages along the Hamakua Coast that vary in charm and cost, but are all pretty safe. Since you don't need schools or proximity to work this area might be attractive to you. But access to decent shopping requires a drive. Laupahoehoe is about 600 people and gets 96" of rain a year... about double what Asheville does. Honoka'a is about 2,300 people and gets an average of about 100" of rain annually.

Keep on going to Waimea, in the south Kohala District, and you'll find it to be a very nice little town of about 7,000. Longtime HQ of Parker Ranch, this is very popular with tourists, has lots of shops, and is quite safe. Getting to a beach takes some effort. The east side of town is rainy, the west side is dry... take your pick. A lot of it is light mists, let's call it 31" One of our regulars here can tell you much more if you're interested.

From Waimea you can take Highway 250 up to Hawi (54" rain), a chaming little town in the North Kohala District, up near the northenmost tip of the island. Expensive. Lots of retirees. Or you can take 60 across and 19 down the Kohala coast to the most expensive resorts on the island and some of the most expensive homes in the entire state (Michael Dell and Sergey Brin expensive). At the north end they only get 7" a year. All that lushness you see around the resorts? Very extensive irrigation.

Or just take 190 south. This drive down to Kona airport and Kailua-Kona goes through the driest section of the island. Much of it is actually classed as arrid desert, and some looks like the surface of the moon.

The north end of Kailua itself is actually in desert, and receives only 18" of rain annually, on average. The town itself is about 12,000 population, with maybe double that in the District overall, and a lot of its economic activity revolves around the tourist trade, because it has the best beaches and sunsets. So, lots of restaurants and stores hotels and people who work in them. Also lots of retirees. Quite safe. Several regulars here live in that area, and they'll probably chime in at some point.

A little further south is Captain Cook (45" annually) , about 3,500 residents, and now you're in the South Kona district where much of the famous coffee is grown. It's less densely populated than the Kailua area is, but still quite safe.

Then as everything thins out approaching the south end of the island, everything becomes more remote and crime starts to rise again. Hawaiian Ocean View Estates (HOVE) has been a bit of a hot spot for a long time, due to a lot of illegal construction, squats in the area, and drug activity, but I know people who have lived there a long time without problems.

Rounding Southpoint and heading up the Windward side you come to Naalehu, a sweet little town of about 1,000, 49" rain (just about the same as Asheville, NC, safe, but about as far from major shopping as you can get. Two nearby beaches, one black sand and one rocky, neither are good for swimming.

Another 10 miles or so north is Pahala, population 1,400, elevation 920 (on the highway climb up to Volcano). An old sugar mill town, temperature in the 70s year around, not much rain (25"?), safe, would probably be much more populous if it were not downwind of the volcano and catching so much of the vog.

25 miles north, at almost 4,000' elevation, the village of Volcano, population about 1,500. Too rainy for many people, Volcano gets about 100" a year, and also too cool for many, the area has long been a renowned arts colony, and is home to many scientists, attorneys, and other professionals. Safe, and unique, but definitely not for everyone. It's at the southern border of Puna District, and as you head northeast along the Belt Highway (11) you travel through what were once sugar fields, now carved up into cheap lots, with a few small congested areas (not really villages) along the way.

To the right as you head north (we say mauka, or towards the coast) are the first of the rough areas to avoid... Glenwood, Fern Forest, Eden Roc. There's a little area right around Mountain View where the schools are that's OK, but it gets a lot of rain. (129" annual)... ditto Keau'u (100"), which is 9 miles south of Hilo, and is a popular shopping area, as well as the turnoff point to head down into lower Puna on Highway 130.

Pahoa is another former sugar town, now about 1,000 residents, (133" rain annually) but with the fastest growing area in the county surrounding it. It's an odd push/pull, with wealthy owners of expensive homes rubbing shoulders with Nuevo Hippies in non-ironic tie-dyes and dreadlocks at the health food store. Quaint old time covered sidewalks on some shops delight the tourists, but locals complain that drug dealers hang out on the steps of First Hawaiian Bank every morning and block access to the ATMs and bank. The new Pahoa police station is not far away, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Keep heading down to the coast and hang a right and you'll come to Kalapana, the village that was burned out by volcanic eruptions several years ago. You can park and walk down to where the fresh lava spills into the ocean if you like. Safe during the day, but watch yourself at night.

Or turn to the left at the coast road instead, and take an absolutely lovely drive up the scenic Kahena-Pahoiki coastal drive. There are some lovely homes in the area, but probably out of your league. And when you get back away from the coast road it turns fairly rough pretty fast. But it sure is a pretty area.

Then drive back up Highway 130 to 11, turn right and 9 miles later you're in South Hilo, where the average rainfall is 126" annually.

So to recap, the Windward (East) side of the island, and the North Coast are wet, the Leeward (West) side and south end are dry. Puna District is where crime is highest. There's a lot of variety on the Big Island, and as the saying goes, different strokes for different folks, so maybe you'll find something you like.

I hope you find this useful.
OpenD,

I have to admire the effort you expend on this issue. Yeoman's duty, to say the least.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:21 AM

97 posts, read 279,313 times
Quote:
To the right as you head north (we say mauka, or towards the coast)
Likely just a typo by OpenD.
mauka - towards the mountain
makai - towards the ocean

Old 06-10-2013, 12:30 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIslandBum View Post
Likely just a typo by OpenD.
mauka - towards the mountain
makai - towards the ocean
He'll have a sleepless night over that one!!!!!!!

Old 06-10-2013, 12:31 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
THAT'S A JOKE OD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOHAL

Old 06-10-2013, 12:44 AM

97 posts, read 279,313 times
Trixie4,

I see a couple of red flags with your plan. First it is apparent you've never visited Hawaii which tends to make the dream of living in Hawaii all the more dreamier. Second, is finding a rental that will allow you to have 3 pets. Obviously the first issue is easily remedied but the second could be a problem. Also, don't forget about the rabies quarantine regulations when moving pets to Hawaii: http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/files/2013/01/aqsbrochure.pdf

Living in Hawaii is pretty much like living anywhere else... except for the nicest weather on the planet.

“And remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” -Confucius

Old 06-10-2013, 01:15 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
Like any other town its size (44,000) Hilo has nice areas and not so nice areas....

...I hope you find this useful.
Great post OpenD! Wish I could give you more Rep points!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island