Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 08:20 PM

7 posts, read 12,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer1235 View Post
Thanks EVERYONE!!!! After seeing the videos of those floods ... I guess i am gonna walk away with my tail between my legs. I appreciate all the great advice, but think we will try after saving a little more money and have a better plan than a tent. I talked to the airlines and got my tickets refunded ... You haven't gotten rid of me, just going to save up more money first.
i think you made a wise decision.we are planning a move to the big island.
but we have already made numerous trips.purchased land.cleared land.
received building permits.etc.etc.

we are taking our time our land and house will be payed in full before the move.
it takes time but it is the only way we can see this working for us.

i wish you well and hope one day your dream of big island living comes true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 10:58 PM

189 posts, read 283,005 times
Quote:
Thanks EVERYONE!!!! After seeing the videos of those floods ... I guess i am gonna walk away with my tail between my legs. I appreciate all the great advice, but think we will try after saving a little more money and have a better plan than a tent
I wasn't trying to get rid of you with that information, but if you were seriously considering 'living' on the beach, someone had to show you the realities of living in one of the rainiest spots on this earth. That's not everyday life of course, but you'd have little time to get to higher ground after an earthquake or tsunami, both of which happen here with varying amounts of frequency.

Wait until you build up some resources and can actually enjoy that same precipitation, which once may have drowned you on that beach. We had a tin roof cabin as a kid and the sound of that rain was so pleasant - so lush and green and flowery here. In a tent, that would be not so fun

It is beautiful, Ill give you that. BI life is unique for sure, and I respect your want to be here. But do it with respect and love, not on the last money you've got.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:59 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
A little late to the game, but I didn't see why not? This is an entirely different scenario from some of the other "dreamers".

His wife was born here - probably meaning that there is some family.

It didn't appear to me that they would be "moving" anything other than themselves, so no need for anything but a plane ticket.

While $1,400 a month isn't much, they would immediately qualify for SNAP (aka food stamps) for somewhere around $700 a month for the couple. Even if he gets a part-time job, they wouldn't lose that benefit.
I assume she has medical coverage and if not, with that income, they would both qualify for Medicaid, which provides surprisingly well for people here. Their medical bills would then be zero.
While they would qualify for housing assistance, they simply can't get it. It has a 2+ year waiting list on the island!
However, $400 a month ohanas and cabins are all over the place in Puna District, many off-grid, meaning no electric bill to pay.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
A little late to the game, but I didn't see why not? This is an entirely different scenario from some of the other "dreamers".
Um, I think you missed something pretty major with a glib looking over of the thread, mdand3boys: the major problem was that the OP wanted to "live indefinitely" in a tent on the bay WITHOUT having any knowledge of our interesting local weather regime. It wasn't just a 'dreamer' post, this was really someone who didn't even realize the amount of rain we get there. OP never said they were interested in 'ohana or cabins if you read the posts, more like plopping a tent 'by the beach' and 'living indefinitely'. Once he understand the weather they'd be dealing with, he's going to retool his plan, which is an excellent idea, one which we ended up supporting him on.

It's a little different than one of the typical 'I want to move to Hawai'i and live in a cabin growing my own food' posts. At least I see the difference here - do you see the difference? weather is weather, but living in a 'ohana off the grid is (to me at least) miles different than plopping a tent by the bay indefinitely with no understanding of the sheer amount of water that falls from the skies there.

Then again, maybe you don't see the difference in which case I'd chalk it up to difference in opinion.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:24 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,072,481 times
Quote:
I know it sounds crazy .... and I know I might be crazy, but here it goes ....... My wife has a small retirement around $1400 a month. I am a hard worker. I currently work in the timeshare Industry and have 22 years of customer service. We have about $5,000 in the bank. She was born there and wants to return. TO START .. I found a Hostel where I can pitch a tent for $112 a week. With my wifes retirement we can afford to stay there indefinitely if need be. I see cheap cars on Craigslist and studios for $700-$800. It seems like that we could afford to make it while I find work. I am looking at the Hilo side obviously. so with $800 rent, her retirement, a car and me working ..... it just seems quite possible to me. BUT I have seen people with way more money talking about moving to the Island and they seem to be getting roasted. Advice is welcome. and so are the nasty comments.
Both you AND Hawaii will be better of, if you go to Quartzite AZ, instead.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:28 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,072,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I am a landlord and I require 3 times the rent in verifiable take-home income. So for an $800 a month studio, you would have to have $2400 a month, net. You are a little short.

The majority of landlords use the same rule for income to rent ratio.

I have never heard of a hostel that will allow clients to pitch a tent and stay indefinitely. Where did you find it? A tent in Hilo would be rather wet all the time. Most hostels are short term stay only. So I suggest that you double check.

Perhaps if you are such a hard worker, you could get a place as a wwoofer.
Maybe it was a Hospice?

Old 06-23-2013, 07:41 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I am a landlord and I require 3 times the rent in verifiable take-home income. So for an $800 a month studio, you would have to have $2400 a month, net. You are a little short.

The majority of landlords use the same rule for income to rent ratio.

I have never heard of a hostel that will allow clients to pitch a tent and stay indefinitely. Where did you find it? A tent in Hilo would be rather wet all the time. Most hostels are short term stay only. So I suggest that you double check.

Perhaps if you are such a hard worker, you could get a place as a wwoofer.
Here's another thing that's different in Hawaii. The hostel where Boomer was planning to stay has no maximum time limit. Yes, Hawaii is different in many, many ways from the mainland.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Here's another thing that's different in Hawaii. The hostel where Boomer was planning to stay has no maximum time limit. Yes, Hawaii is different in many, many ways from the mainland.
It's true, DoH! And I guess the maximum time limit is really governed by how quickly we see their green tent floating around Moku Ola and Hilo Bay

Old 06-23-2013, 12:23 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyDave View Post
Um, I think you missed something pretty major with a glib looking over of the thread, mdand3boys: the major problem was that the OP wanted to "live indefinitely" in a tent on the bay WITHOUT having any knowledge of our interesting local weather regime. It wasn't just a 'dreamer' post, this was really someone who didn't even realize the amount of rain we get there. OP never said they were interested in 'ohana or cabins if you read the posts, more like plopping a tent 'by the beach' and 'living indefinitely'. Once he understand the weather they'd be dealing with, he's going to retool his plan, which is an excellent idea, one which we ended up supporting him on.

It's a little different than one of the typical 'I want to move to Hawai'i and live in a cabin growing my own food' posts. At least I see the difference here - do you see the difference? weather is weather, but living in a 'ohana off the grid is (to me at least) miles different than plopping a tent by the bay indefinitely with no understanding of the sheer amount of water that falls from the skies there.

Then again, maybe you don't see the difference in which case I'd chalk it up to difference in opinion.
I didn't miss the tent bit...

I was assuming that the OP didn't realize they would not have to live in a tent, because there are plenty of valid housing options instead. Probably assumed that the hostel he came across would be less expensive than a "real" place in which to live.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:17 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
A

...............they would immediately qualify for SNAP (aka food stamps) for somewhere around $700 a month for the couple. ...................they would both qualify for Medicaid, which provides surprisingly well for people here. .............. they would qualify for housing assistance,...............
The state of Hawaii is already foundering under the weight of the local welfare recipients. No need to encourage more of them to move to Hawaii with their hands stretched out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island