Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:21 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,010,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
This is a dirty little secret the Obama "Administration" (as if), won't tell you. They simply don't count people whose unemployment comp has run out as umemployed. They just conclude that they are no longer interested in work, so they take them out of the pool of unemployed, as if someone who has spent a year fruitlesslessly looking for waork is "employed"

Properly calculated the unemployment rate nationally is in the low teens.

Hawaii, unfortunately, isn't immune from the ugly and evil influence of Democrats anymore than the rest of America is.
Kind of an odd statement as the unemployment rate is calculated the same way now as the Bush years. Here are some helpful FAQ's for you.

How the Government Measures Unemployment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 12:50 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,080,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Kind of an odd statement as the unemployment rate is calculated the same way now as the Bush years. Here are some helpful FAQ's for you.

[URL="http://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm"]How the Government Measures Unemployment[/URL]
That is true, except now, the numbers that are not counted are massive. Before, it was pretty inconsequential. It should be counted properly regardless of administration, but Politicians are rarely honest.

Another trick the "administraton" does, it to release a figure, then quietly revise it upwards a few days later. Say they release unemployment at 8%. A few days later, they'll release the "real" numbers, say 8.3%. Then when the next numbers are released, they compare the new "surpressed" numbers against the revised rate, and then a few days later revise the new numbers upwards one again.

This, like pretty much everything this administration does, is one huge ongoing LIE.

What part of my statement did you find "odd"?

Old 06-24-2013, 01:03 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,010,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
What part of my statement did you find "odd"?
That the numbers are calculated in some secret fashion (they aren't) - and implying they are calculated differently under Obama than previous administrations.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:08 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,080,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
That the numbers are calculated in some secret fashion (they aren't) - and implying they are calculated differently under Obama than previous administrations.
That comes from your imagination, not my keyboard. Obama happens to be in office currently. I could have said "Bush", but then, he isn't in office.

The method used IS disingenuous. It fails to take into account those unemployed so long that they have given up and/or expended their UE benefits. It is the unemployment rate, but they calculate it, in many ways, as if it is the "currently looking for work" rate.

Also, I believe, but could be wrong on this, but this administration is the only one that publishes "lower-than-actual" figures and then a couple days later when few people are watching, revises them upwards, time after time after time.

Last edited by Robin Rossi; 06-24-2013 at 02:32 PM..

Old 06-24-2013, 05:57 PM

106 posts, read 231,153 times
well regardless of whether one thinks the books are cooked or thinking about somebodys 'dirty little secret', just walk around Honolulu and see the Help Wanted signs all over the place. Everywhere. There are many white haole faces dishing up Japanese and Korean food because of what I would consider a need for workers. Now the topic is not what kind of jobs nor if those are well paying jobs lol. , but is Honolulu's UI rate lower than BI and is it true. I'm guessing it could be.

I'm only basing it on walking around Waikiki, Ala Moana and the usual King St. and Beretania corridors that I frequent. Have not been to Pearlridge in a while or the windward side.

I very well much remember the early 2000s when there was a shortage of workers some places had to close down.

My impression of most major places (ie. cities whether in Hawaii or mainland), if you want to work, you can.

Last edited by manapua12; 06-24-2013 at 06:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: