Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 08:23 PM

17 posts, read 25,764 times

Advertisements

So, if you found yourself visiting Puna and Ka'u with no husband or child, with about $200 and a day or two ALONE, how would you treat yourself? Is there a yoga studio, craft gallery, spa, outdoor adventure, or overnight stay you'd enjoy? Maybe some eclectic, out-there deal that you'd hit?

Two things I came across with high regard within my budget were Spa Paradissimo in Pahoa, and an overnight stay in a VW bus for only $40!

Discuss...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 10:38 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,521,103 times
This previous thread has lots of excellent suggestions.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/big-i...l#post26305338

In particular, I would highlight the Volcano Arts Council gallery inside Volcanoes National Park, and the Garden Arts Gallery at the other end of Volcano, for my money the two finest arts and crafts galleries on the Big Island. Akatsuka Orchid Gardens, just north of Volcano is world class and unforgettable.

For inexpensive accomodations, it's hard to beat the campground cabins in the park for $55, but they're popular, so dates are limited. And nearby Holoholo In offers rustic Japanese country style accomodations for $56 private room, $22 dorm style bed. Very clean, wonderful hot showers and communal kitchen with handthrown raku dishware, cutest young innkeeper's daughters on the island. Don't let the cat in!

http://www.hawaiivolcanohouse.com/ (page through for cabins)
Volcano Hostel | Holo Holo In: Budget Inn and Hostel in Volcano on the Big Island of Hawaii

Old 06-27-2013, 12:05 PM

32,728 posts, read 48,355,590 times
If I had a babysitter, I'd do the boat to watch the lava hit the water.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:04 PM

941 posts, read 1,972,777 times
I would do an overnight backpacking trip to the Volcanoes NP coast (Halape or Ka'aha), or try to summit Mauna Loa.

Backcountry Hikes - Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park

I found the campground cabins do be very small and dingy for $55 (but that was 5 years ago). Here's the direct link, it does say new mattresses and linens provided, so it seems better: http://www.hawaiivolcanohouse.com/cabins-campsites/

Old 06-27-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I found the campground cabins do be very small and dingy for $55 (but that was 5 years ago). Here's the direct link, it does say new mattresses and linens provided, so it seems better:
It is much better. Five years ago was right at the end of the NPS contract with the previous vendor/operator of the Volcano House Inn and the campgrounds, and he is notorious for running properties he manages into to the ground. Then the Volcano House was closed for over three years while seismic upgrades were being made, and a new vendor selected to rehabilitate the property and operate the lodgings and the restaurant, which finally reopened just a few weeks ago.

The cabins and campground actually reopened first, a few months ago, and they are quite clean and nice now, and are already heavily booked well into the future. Though small (200 sq ft), they do sleep four... one double bed, two bunks... so for a single person they are fine. The Inn itself is quite lovely, but it's a budget buster for the OP, starting at $280/night. ($185 Kamaaina rate)

Oh, and $55 is the rate for a cabin now, and in July, but when I checked an August date the rate it currently shows is $80 and ditto for November, so I guess $55 is just an introductory rate. Oh, well.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I would do an overnight backpacking trip to the Volcanoes NP coast (Halape or Ka'aha), or try to summit Mauna Loa.
As a single traveling female, and out of an abundance of caution, I think I'd skip the overnight part - but would definitely consider a solo day hike.

Quote:
In particular, I would highlight the Volcano Arts Council gallery inside Volcanoes National Park, and the Garden Arts Gallery at the other end of Volcano, for my money the two finest arts and crafts galleries on the Big Island. Akatsuka Orchid Gardens, just north of Volcano is world class and unforgettable.
Sounds awesome! do you know anything about the Artist's Retreat at the Garden Arts Gallery (I think it's there, could be another arts center).

Quote:
If I had a babysitter, I'd do the boat to watch the lava hit the water.
Yessssss....I'm gonna check out the price. Sounds AWESOME.

Quote:
The Inn itself is quite lovely, but it's a budget buster for the OP, starting at $280/night. ($185 Kamaaina rate)
I'd be happy having dinner at the restaurant, for the view. Any thoughts on the establishment? The breakfast buffet looks divine!

Thanks, guys, for all your suggestions!

Old 06-27-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillylilybaby View Post
Sounds awesome! do you know anything about the Artist's Retreat at the Garden Arts Gallery (I think it's there, could be another arts center).
If you mean the Artist's Cottage at Garden Arts, it's lovely, but at $159 + tax for a single night it would bust your budget. But if you mean the Zen Meditation and Retreat garden at the rear of the property, it's very peaceful and absolutely free to enjoy. The owner of Garden Arts, Ira Ono, is a known artist in his own name, and quite a free spirit. I always enjoy talking with Ira. Besides the inside art galleries and a gourmet cafe, he also has outside art and wonderful plants for sale. Don't miss the goat tethered in back near the Chinese Immortals sculptures.

If you do want to stay overnight in the Volcano area and don't like the Cabins or hostel (which are very grown up, btw, not crawling with surfer dudes) then look online for a B&B that appeals to you. There are supposedly over 250 available beds in just the immediate village area, and some are as little as $75 a night.

Quote:
I'd be happy having dinner at the restaurant, for the view. Any thoughts on the establishment? The breakfast buffet looks divine!
It's pricy, but quite lovely. The new operator is doing a great job with it.

Keep in mind that until about 6pm you will have to pay the $10 park entrance fee to get to it. After six it's free. But check the NPS site for events for your dates, because they have various free concerts and hula performances and other interesting events throughout the year, and you might get lucky with your schedule. And if you are interested in safe hiking, there are a number of very interesting self-guided hikes, as well as a few guided hikes, within the park. You can find out more at the Visitors Center.

Schedule Of Events - Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park

Old 06-27-2013, 08:43 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,712,700 times
I LOVE Ira Ono. The gallery always has such interesting stuff -- art work, jewelry, plants. And the restaurant has really good food.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:15 AM

I'll certainly have to meet Ira Ono, sounds like a great person to run into! I'm so enticed with all the wonderful suggestions and beauty around Volcano, I'm going to have to go. With the prices though, it might be a better trip to take with Dad, so we can both pitch in. And by that I mean I offer to pay and he doesn't let me.

I think I'm going to to a spa for mommy time, then I'll go read a book and sip some cocktails until I get antsy and want to hang with my aunties. I can spend $100 and get some serious relaxing in, which will make my entire visit all the better.

What are your favorite local kine eateries around? I'm perfectly happy with a take-out window, food truck, or a guy on the highway!

Thanks again!

Old 06-28-2013, 12:06 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,712,700 times
If you are going to be in Ka'u, I recommend coffee from Flying Hawaiian at the Farmer's market in Na'alehu on Wednesday and Sunday. She serves local Ka'u coffee. Also, have breakfast or lunch at the Hana Hou in Na'alehu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island