Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 05:41 PM

13 posts, read 16,762 times

Advertisements

My friend is coming from the mainland and this will be here 5th summer on the BI. Every year we try to find new and better snorkeling spots we haven't visited yet. Got any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 10:14 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,701,319 times
Tell us which areas you've been to, so that we don't suggest someplace you've already been.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:45 AM

13 posts, read 16,762 times
Waio pai ponda, champagne ponds, Richardson's beach, a bay in kona, hapuna, captain cook, all the common places. I'm looking for secret places that not everyone knows about.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:36 AM

32,703 posts, read 48,272,649 times
Well now, they wouldn't be secret if they got published on a forum that goes out to the entire world.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:29 AM

4,416 posts, read 4,940,135 times
My favorite snorkeling place is that one between the ice caves and the bomber crash.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:55 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,078,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
My favorite snorkeling place is that one between the ice caves and the bomber crash.
Do you do so with benefit of wet suit, or au natural`?

I saw a picture of the bomber. Didn't look like good snorkeling to me! Actually, looked like an excellent place to get killed.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:44 PM

834 posts, read 1,221,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Intended pun taken

To the topic: I wouldn't say there's a sure spot. The 'good', accessible spots are all known, but differ greatly from day to day. I was just down at the Captain Cook Memorial in Kealakekua BAy, and it was pretty boring in terms of marine life. Unlike last weeks Saturday where the fish were really plenty.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:33 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,090,289 times
Mahukona maybe? Not a very large area, but there's folks who snorkel there.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:11 AM

36 posts, read 57,425 times
Beach 69 is always a good snorkeling place I like to visit when I take the drive across to the other side of the island.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:25 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,380,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Well now, they wouldn't be secret if they got published on a forum that goes out to the entire world.
Great point!

To the OP: If you want to find a secret place, just get yourself to a rocky beach where you don't see anyone out there and where you can safely get out through nay waves and start snorkeling... then call that your own 'secret place'.

Seriously, the entire Kona coastline offers some world-class snorkeling, so just about anywhere you get your head in the water will be good as long as you're not out too far. The 'best' spots are usually more a matter of accessibility and underwater geography than anything. Kahaluu is packed with tourists, but for good reason... because it's super easy to get to, shallow enough to see everything, and the turtles are usually basking/swimming right there for you. Two step is a little further to get to, and gets crowded with divers, but is a really fun spot with lots to see at various depths. There's also a feeding station on a rock outcropping off of the old airport, but you need a boat (and probably a guide) to get there and it's a ways down, so it's mostly divers there. Some of the best snorkeling I've enjoyed is just swimming out over the main reef at places like Kealakekua SP or Honokohau preserve and just free diving along the edges for as long as I can. You usually don't see much past 20-30 feet below the surface anyways. But if you're looking for some special, secret, epic place where you can snorkel and see turtles, dolphins, whales, and topless hula dancers all day long with no one else around, it really doesn't exist. ...or maybe it does, and we're just not telling you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island