Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 02:30 PM

892 posts, read 2,391,833 times

Advertisements

Greetings island neighbors! I'm over on Oahu, but I'd really like to buy one of these for some friends of mine as a present. They are moving to Hilo soon and ideally I'd like to order it online or by phone and have it sent to me so I can put it in a nice card and send it to them.

Every mention I can find online anywhere within the NPS series of web sites that mentions online pass purchases links to a web page that only includes the national passes, no specific regional ones like the Hawai`i Tri-Park Pass (or other similar regionally specific passes that I know are offered in other states).

Does anyone know if there's any way at all to buy these passes without physically being present on the Big Island? For example, is there any sort of office or visitor center in Honolulu that sells them?

Mahalo for any help you can provide! I feel like this would be a fun, unique present for my friends that only someone already in Hawaii would think of (everyone else will be sending them plenty of nuts and chocolates and coffee, I'm sure).
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 02:56 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
It looks like it has to be purchased at one of the three parks where it can be used. The website also says that it is non-transferable. Perhaps you could call the HVNP Visitor information line at 808-985-6000 for clarification.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:11 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
I don't think it is possible, because you have to show ID when you purchase the pass, they scan the pass when you use it, and periodically they ask to see ID to validate that it's your pass.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I don't think it is possible, because you have to show ID when you purchase the pass, they scan the pass when you use it, and periodically they ask to see ID to validate that it's your pass.
Interesting, you don't have to show any ID to purchase the $80 pass that lets you into every park in the country but you have to do so to purchase one that only allows you into three parks on an island? I must be missing something.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
It looks like it has to be purchased at one of the three parks where it can be used. The website also says that it is non-transferable. Perhaps you could call the HVNP Visitor information line at 808-985-6000 for clarification.
Thanks, I'll give them a call as a last resort if I can't get responses to the e-mails I've sent. The only time during business hours I can really track this stuff down is while my daughter is sleeping and I try to avoid yakking at the phone during those precious minutes.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
Interesting, you don't have to show any ID to purchase the $80 pass that lets you into every park in the country but you have to do so to purchase one that only allows you into three parks on an island? I must be missing something.
Here's what NPS has to say about the $80 annual pass...

Quote:
Valid for one full year from month of purchase (through last day of that month).
Allows pass owner and accompanying passengers in a single, private, non-commercial vehicle to enter Federally operated recreation sites across the country.
Covers the pass owner and three (3) accompanying adults age 16 and older at sites where per person entrance fees are charged. No entry fee charged for children 15 and under.
Photo identification will be required to verify ownership.
Passes are non-refundable, non-transferable and cannot be replaced if lost or stolen.

America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass

Old 08-20-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Here's what NPS has to say about the $80 annual pass...
If you look around the NPS web site you'll find all over the place that they encourage ordering the passes as they make great gifts. Also, the online ordering process never asks for any sort of "proof" of identification. Anyways, thanks...I guess I'll just have to call one of the parks over there. I really can read web pages on my own, I was hoping someone here might actually know the answer definitively from experience.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:18 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Quote:
Every time we use our Senior Parks Pass at any national park in the country, they ask for our ID. Each pass is issued to a specific name, and the ID has to match that name.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
If you look around the NPS web site you'll find all over the place that they encourage ordering the passes as they make great gifts. Also, the online ordering process never asks for any sort of "proof" of identification. Anyways, thanks...I guess I'll just have to call one of the parks over there. I really can read web pages on my own, I was hoping someone here might actually know the answer definitively from experience.
I did base my comment on my personal experiences buying and using a pass at Volcanoes National Park, including needing to show my ID when using my pass. I went looking for the website to confirm my memory and to ensure I was giving an accurate answer.

Perhaps you can order a pass in another person's name. Good luck.

Last edited by OpenD; 08-20-2013 at 10:45 PM..

Old 08-25-2013, 02:18 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Please let us know how it turns out. What a thoughtful gift. If it doesn't work out you may want to consider a membership to the botanical garden. Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden Store: Garden Memberships
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: