Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 08:55 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,410 times

Advertisements

Ti tree oil works well as a deterrent and an itch reliever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 10:19 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
Ti tree oil works well as a deterrent and an itch reliever.
For accuracy, what Sherwoody means is the fragrant malaleuca oil, primarily from Australia, also known as Tea Tree oil and yes it is good for relieving itch and keeping the buggahs away in the first place.

The endemic Hawaiian Ti, one of the traditional 'Canoe plants" however, is a completely different plant. It's used to make the Hawaiian moonshine known as okolehau (iron butt), which is more effective for alleviating pain and itch if taken internally than if rubbed on the skin. You might still itch, but you don't care.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:38 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,410 times
Yes, tea tree oil. Thank you for correcting my spelling error.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:59 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,071 times
Just live downtown in Hilo. I lived there for a long time and barely saw them. One you cross the Wainaku bridge, which is as close to downtown as you could get, watch out though. Of course, not having a problem w/ them besides the usual annoyances everyone gets, maybe they were there and it never registered. The little darlings are really everywhere, you understand that of course. Maybe not in Alaska, but I saw them in every state that I lived in, including arid places like Arizona and New Mexico. All it takes is a small, and I mean small, bit of standing water and they will come 'round.

But, me, I would not move someplace where there were more than the usual amount if I had your wife's condition.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:05 PM

6 posts, read 3,871 times
Default mausqutios

Hi MR IN between, posted 2015. Any how people with problems with mausqutios, if you take mutiable B vitamans they will not bite you. I have let other people know, campers, and it does help. As long as I am taking this I do not get bit. Easy , and the health food store is best to get them! I know my spelling is not so great!

Old 11-02-2018, 12:14 AM

6 posts, read 3,871 times
Default mausqutios

I have told people to use multible B vitamin and they will not bite you. I had a friend see me at the gas station and brought her hubby over to meet me and tell him that I let her know about the B, he was so happy for the info!! Francie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island