Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 01:14 AM

29 posts, read 58,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
When I came over here, more or less on a whim, well, a jet actually,Aloha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 11:39 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusoe View Post
Has anyone who hoped, dreamed, strategized before coming to Hawaii wish they had not spent as much time arranging, just came over?
Everyone has their own preferences and needs. I for one am glad that I took a lot of time to think it over... and then decided against it. But I'm happy for those who are all settled in and really enjoy it there. Especially the ones that have Ohanas for me to stay in!

Old 09-17-2013, 12:49 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Quote:
SNIP - Considering 200 years ago natives were eating Captain Cook there is outstanding civility on the islands.SNIP
Actually, they didn't eat him. They very respectfully removed the flesh from the bones the same as they would for any other ali'i. They then gave the bones to the ship's crew so they could be respectfully interred in the proper sort of spot. The didn't eat him, they just followed Hawaiian rites instead of European rites. I'm not sure what the process of removing the bones is, though, they may have cooked Cook which may be why everyone thinks he got eaten as well.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:35 AM

317 posts, read 747,617 times
Quote:
Exciting, which island are you considering? What is your time line for relocating? Do you have family coming with you? You are going to LOVE living in Hawaii!!!
I've been comming out from the bitter cold winters here for a month at a time usually mid January to mid February for over a decade now and think at some point I'll call it home. Any island would be great!
No family just me.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:30 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
I'm confused. Did you ever get your wallet back? Weren't you concerned about your ID and CC theft?

And you don't earn your living in Hawaii but in Alaska?

Old 09-18-2013, 05:16 PM

42 posts, read 64,760 times
Crusoe, I love this topic! Hubby and I are retiring in 3 years, and starting to dream of moving SOMEWHERE, other than California. We are going to the Big Island this December, for a vacation, and will be checking it out. I have ALREADY been over-researching this potential move, but I like to know what I'm getting into, lol. I will try REALLY hard not to talk myself out of it!

Thanks for posting! I love stories about the kindness of the Hawaiian people.

Lorinda

Old 09-18-2013, 06:13 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Lorinda, I think that doing careful research helps insure a successful move. One reason that people who move here don't last long is that they move over thinking that living in Hawaii will be like vacationing in Hawaii, and then they have a rude awakening.

We did a lot of research before moving and found that people didn't last long here because either (1) needed a higher level of medical care than available, (2) couldn't get work or enough work to afford to live, (3) they miss their family back on the mainland. So we planned to not get sick , were retired when we moved, and were retired with enough money to travel back to the mainland every summer to see family. We also realize that there will be some emergency travel to deal with aging parents or a serious health concern, so we programmed that into our budget.

I believe in the saying "knowledge is power". Different people on this forum have a variety of different thoughts about living in Hawaii, and you just need to be able to figure out what will really apply to your situation.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:11 PM

42 posts, read 64,760 times
Thank you, I agree whole heartily, knowledge is power! Your situation sounds just like ours. My husband and I are fortunate enough to be govt. employees with decent pensions. AND, if we miss the kids back in CA, there's always Skype

Old 09-25-2013, 12:05 AM

293 posts, read 361,679 times
Well, everyone is going to think I am a nut, or a fruitcake for what I am going to say. But, I swear it's all true.
I was stationed at Schofield for almost a year before being shipped off to Viet Nam back in the early 60's. While there, I did see a bit of the Big Island too. I liked it enough that I wanted to move there, but life has funny twist and turns as you travel her highways.

After several marriages and a bunch of kids, I never did make it back, even though I can fly there and back for free. My current wife who is forty-four years younger than I am, wants to move there bad. Though she has never been there, she want’s to live there. We have a three year old daughter and I just had my 67th birthday last week. (Okay Open D & White Viper, let me have it...lol)

We own a house in Texas and one in Oregon. If I could get rid of the house in Texas I would consider the move, But, I had a heart attack ten years ago and a quadruple bypass at that time. Over all, I am now in good health, I just need to consider that I would probably need to live on Oahu near one of the military bases so that I could get good medical care that would be free to me.

Being military retired, we can fly back and forth to the mainland or any where else that we wanted to go, plus buy all our food and whatever else we needed at the base. I am very close to making that jump to be there. I’m not worried about the cost once I get rid of this one house. I would probably ship every thing I need that would cost extra there and just lock up this house and use it four or five months of the year.

I’m not nuts for having a younger wife, just very lucky. I do want to make sure that she and our daughter will be able to survive there once I am gone and I think they can from my research. Anyone military retired using any of the bases there have any input into the cost buying on base verses off base?

Old 09-25-2013, 12:15 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPILOT View Post
My current wife who is forty-four years younger than I am, wants to move there bad. Though she has never been there, she want’s to live there.
Yes, you are a nut and a fruitcake!

I am curious, if she has never even been to Hawaii, why does she think she wants to move to Hawaii?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island