Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 12:40 PM

29 posts, read 58,214 times

Advertisements

Our family never considered Hawaii as a permanent home location. We came here for an extended vacation preparing to settle down in the North West. Everyday we wake up in disbelief we are living in an ideal of heaven on Earth. Words cannot describe the appreciation we have for the kindnesses we are shown. Each day is truly a gift. However the fates played in the past they lead us here, no regrets.

I am reading dozens of threads from individuals, couples, families dreaming of Hawaii. They know more of Hawaii where they are now than we did stepping off the plane when we landed. When we found a rental we did not hesitate to turn our vacation into residency. I am glad Hawaii was not on our list of potential places to dwell. Like many I would have spent years researching, saving, preparing, scared of the seclusion of being on a rock in the great Pacific Ocean. Eventually I would have talked ourselves out of paradise.

Has anyone who hoped, dreamed, strategized before coming to Hawaii wish they had not spent as much time arranging, just came over?

No regrets how we got here but if I knew years ago what I know now I would have been living Aloha ten years ago.

I have learned being here saving for Hawaii is like having to have a child. There will never be enough money (Unless you are independently wealthy or win a lottery) to have everything you want but living here, this island has everything you need. So sad to read a few threads where families left the island because their fantasies did not live up to the dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 01:20 PM

317 posts, read 748,172 times
“Hope is a waking dream.”
Aristotle

Glad it worked out for you.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmioquartiere View Post
“Hope is a waking dream.”
Aristotle

Glad it worked out for you.
So far, great!

Are you living on the island now?

Old 09-15-2013, 04:04 PM

317 posts, read 748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusoe View Post
So far, great!

Are you living on the island now?

No, I'm still in the "planning" stages!

Old 09-15-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmioquartiere View Post
No, I'm still in the "planning" stages!
Exciting, which island are you considering? What is your time line for relocating? Do you have family coming with you? You are going to LOVE living in Hawaii!!!

Old 09-15-2013, 10:11 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,677,841 times
Kimberly, my husband and I spent many years in researching and planning our move. This included two exploratory trips to check out different areas of the island. I feel that it was all worth it and would never have made the move without prior proper planning.

Perhaps the difference between you and me is that my husband and I are in our mid 60s. For us to make such a big investment and major life change, we wanted to be sure that we fully researched all the pros and cons. Maybe if we had been in our mid 20s I would have been happy to jump quicker.

Another difference between you and me is that you fear that too much knowledge would have made you end up not moving. I need knowledge to help me made an informed decision, and the help that we got from various forums meant that we made our decision based on realities instead of an empty dream.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:16 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,576,023 times
When I came over here, more or less on a whim, well, a jet actually, I couldn't have picked Maui out on the state map. It's OK though, I'm just here temporarily anyways..

Aloha

Old 09-16-2013, 12:06 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
Ditto to JJ. I'd kinda thought Honolulu was in Japan or China or somewhere mere months - no, make that weeks, before I lived there. Although that was pre-internet, one had to go to a library to find out things like "where is Honolulu." I did zero planning although I was only moving me and a couple of suitcases.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:02 AM

438 posts, read 660,928 times
I had never been to Hawaii, job app was accepted and moved within 3 weeks. 26 years later I am still here. It's my home.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Another difference between you and me is that you fear that too much knowledge would have made you end up not moving. I need knowledge to help me made an informed decision, and the help that we got from various forums meant that we made our decision based on realities instead of an empty dream.
Yes, I would have way over thought what I read or was told. Will I get mugged driving through Puna, can I afford a $300 electric bill, how much is gas, can I live without museums. I would have rationalized Hawaii was just any other place to live except with beach access. I would have been wrong.

Our family knew once our feet hit the sand at Mauna Kea beach we wanted to stay as long as possible. The third day on the island we never wanted to leave. There is no road rage, no ridiculous honking to move quicker, courtesy is a lifestyle. Grabbing fresh ripe papaya 6/$1 at the farmers market, honey from the fields, sitting down in Honomu as family with people we met five minutes before, this is the life we tried to live elsewhere (Not everyone was cooperating, particularly in Seattle. Those city dwellers can really get upset in traffic). My family is very pro guns. I believe we have every right to own firearms yet I LOVE how here there is not a constant threat of some young punk who just heard no for the first time pulling out a gun. Yes there is crime. However there is a life & death difference in safety between walking a mall in Portland and going to Macy's here. Most altercations here are domestic involving people who are close to one another. Considering 200 years ago natives were eating Captain Cook there is outstanding civility on the islands.

Maybe what I meant to say originally is on the mainland we work extra hours, struggle, stress, plot and plan our everyday lives to be healthier by trying to eat right, living in areas with lower pollution, make time for family, for ourselves, stay alert for danger and dream someday of moving to Hawaii after saving when in reality (Depending on how quickly you accept island bounties) you can eat nutritiously from foods growing wild all over the island saving money too. You can buy fresh produce for pennies at the farmers markets if you do not want to grow your own or pick. You can leave your windows open letting the breeze cool you off saving electric, with a smile, a wave & a hug you are as safe as you would ever be in the lower 48 packing a 38. And, although there are Kapu signs or laws supposedly against camping we have been to enough of the island to know in the event of an unexpected hardship or turn of events we could easily live on this island with a disabled child in a van if we absolutely had to till we were able to establish ourselves & feel pretty good about doing so. But we would never have to because the Ohana from the people who live here returns twice what is given. Anyone who is hungry or lost is welcome to sit at a neighbors table, have a place to sleep, supported without judgement or blame.

As an example, my husband left last Wednesday for Alaska to work for three weeks. He told me he checked the rental car for any of our belongings before he left to Kona. We live on the other side of the island. Of course I get a text two hours later he forgot my wallet was in the glove box. Great, no time for him to drive back to drop it off. No time for him to mail it, he had to get on his plane. The next day I mentioned to our land lady how foolish he was. She told me not to worry, relax, do not stress. She than asked me if I wanted to go to town, she said we could stop at her bank to get money for me to shop. Who does that? Anywhere? During our extended hospitals stays families of children bound together to help one another. If one parent ran to the store they would grab whatever another child's parent needed too so they could stay with their little person. Everyday life without crisis how often does this happen? We are well stocked and thankfully my older son is here, we are fine. But if we were not prepared or if I was alone with our disabled son, my neighbor would have saved me.

I could have spent years trying to save to live this life and I am ever so amazed everyday I already am.

There are concessions to make and yes you do have to be prepared to live here but gosh the sooner the better you can get on a plane, I encourage anyone with doubt do it. In the least come visit to give yourself inspiration, to see first hand what you can live with and learn what you can live without.

Sweet Dreams
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island