Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:31 PM

6 posts, read 17,138 times

Advertisements

We're considering moving to Waimea. I've read some about the changing standards for building permits/code. How restrictive is it for existing houses? Can you install your own ceiling fan? Replace a toilet? Build a deck, covered porch? Sounds like major renovations you'll be waiting many months for approval.

Is Hamakua Coast any different? N Kohala?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 11:52 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribelle View Post
We're considering moving to Waimea. I've read some about the changing standards for building permits/code. How restrictive is it for existing houses?
Like almost anywhere else, if you make structural changes, or a major addition, or changes in electrical wiring or plumbing you will need a building permit, and THAT opens you up to the possibility that you might have to upgrade other things to bring the whole structure up to current code.

One of my neighbors wanted to add another bedroom to his 1920s era home, but when he found out the cost of bringing everything up to code he shifted gears and built a separate ohana unit instead. It was far cheaper that way.

Quote:
Can you install your own ceiling fan?
using existing wiring? You should be ok.

Quote:
Replace a toilet?
Probably ok. Move it? No.

Quote:
Build a deck, covered porch?
You can do the carpentry yourself, but check with the County about whether or not you'll need a permit.

Quote:
Sounds like major renovations you'll be waiting many months for approval.
Yeah, approvals for permits are slow.

Quote:
Is Hamakua Coast any different? N Kohala?
Nope. It's all the same county, as is the rest of the island. There is no local government anywhere.

Just another one of the 1,001 ways Hawai'i is different.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:03 PM

Excellent info. Thanks D!Any estimates on permit approval wait? We're also tempted to build a kit house, but it seems like there's not many rental options near Waimea and the question is where do you live in the meantime. Maybe the internet just isn't the best source for rental houses or apartments.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:35 PM

Although there are a lot of different viewpoints represented and various opinions expressed here, probably the closest thing to a consensus among us is the advice not to buy anything until you have lived here for at least a few months, and not to buy or rent a place sight unseen.

So the most workable plan seems to be: start with a vacation rental for a couple of weeks, which you can find through vrbo.com or airbnb.com or other web sites, and use that time to look for a longer term rental, which can be your base to look for a place to buy or build.

Good luck.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:47 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
The current building code isn't all that restrictive. It's the IBC instead of the UBC but things are pretty much what they've always been. Things modify a bit here and there, but it's generally a fairly gradual change. Compared to many places on the mainland, building permits in Hawaii are easy. Also, compared to building a house to withstand winter conditions, building a house in Hawaii is much less complicated.

Live in the area you want to build for awhile first if you can. Also be aware that the climate can do a drastic change in a short distance. The climatic differences between the "dry" side and the "wet" side of Waimea come to mind. Or compare Waikoloa to Honokaa. They are roughly the same distance from each side of Waimea, but the climate is hugely different.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:48 PM

Yes, I've gathered it's best to test the waters, and agree that would be best, but the draw on savings makes me wish I could just jump in and get it right. Still, I see three clear options to investigate, and that would take time

We're quite sure we want to green side Waimea or the Hamakua Coast. We prefer the cool, the rain and the gardening. Living in/near town would save on commute, gas, etc (although not supply runs to Hilo or Kona), but if moving to Hawaii, it might be worth our time to try to "live the dream."

On the coast, two options are buy existing or build. I wasn't going to consider it, but land off the grid is super cheap and sometimes fantastic. With the high cost of electricity, I figure building w/ solar and wind has got to break even pretty quick. I have a whole page of small notes on the huge pain it would be to orchestrate, but it's exciting too. Plus, at the end of the day would be huge "life well lived" points.

I'm reading the entire Questions about building a small cabin in Fern Acres Hawaii post. I'll hope to answer a lot of questions, or save them if we don't go the hard route, but maybe you all will hear from me again.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribelle View Post
Yes, I've gathered it's best to test the waters, and agree that would be best, but the draw on savings makes me wish I could just jump in and get it right.
Understandable, but that's what leads people to just jump in and get get it wrong.

Quote:
Still, I see three clear options to investigate, and that would take time
Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner! There is no substitute for boots-on-the ground time, which is why so many of us advise taking plenty of time to decide. And if you choose your interim housing prudently, it shouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
We're quite sure we want to green side Waimea or the Hamakua Coast. We prefer the cool, the rain and the gardening. Living in/near town would save on commute, gas, etc (although not supply runs to Hilo or Kona), but if moving to Hawaii, it might be worth our time to try to "live the dream."
One last lecture, and then I'll let you ponder.

You THINK you're sure you want green side, cool, rain et al. But that's largely in the realm of fantasy at this point. But until you confront the reality... it has its good points, and its bad, and you need to consider both... you're mostly in the space of illusion. The first time you slide your feet into a pair of shoes and find mold in them, or pull a towel off the rod and discover the back is black with mildew, or step on a centipede in your bare feet, I guarantee "Living the dream!" will not be the first words on your lips!

Personally I absolutely love the cool misty rain forest at 4,000' in Volcano, with all the richness of the flowers and birds and the hapu'u ferns and the rainbows, but I am abundantly clear it is not for everybody. Some people absolutely hate it, while some of us love it. My point is, you don't even know what you don't know about a place that is so different from what you've known before, and the only answer is to experience it. Renting for a while will allow you to do that without making any serious mistakes.

Quote:
On the coast, two options are buy existing or build. I wasn't going to consider it, but land off the grid is super cheap and sometimes fantastic. With the high cost of electricity, I figure building w/ solar and wind has got to break even pretty quick.
IIRC, HELCO says an average customer bill is about $275/month. Using less is the best way to contain costs. An off-grid solar install will take years to pay back, my rule of thumb is 7, because you've got to factor in a battery bank and maintenance. And you won't want electric appliances, for sure. Propane for the stove, dryer, maybe the refrigerator. Water heater must be solar for new construction, but it needs a backup for periods of cloudy weather, and gas will be best for that too. Not to say it's not doable to go off-grid, because probably a thousand homes have done it, but it imposes certain changes on your lifestyle that not everyone is happy with. Check Hotzcatz's back posts for good real-life info on living off-grid.

And ask away with your questions. That's what we're here for.

Last edited by OpenD; 10-30-2013 at 03:53 PM..

Old 10-30-2013, 05:45 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
My point is, you don't even know what you don't know about a place that is so different from what you've known before, and the only answer is to experience it. Renting for a while will allow you to do that without making any serious mistakes.

This should be the motto for every relocation forum here.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:47 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

This should be the motto for every relocation forum here.
Agreed! But are you sure your qualified to make that statement? Did you get your local Hawai'i cdf decoder ring yet? You know you can't make statements intell the locals of cdf Hawaii say you can make statements and they give you the ring. Dang bruddah wat wrong wit you?

Old 10-31-2013, 12:10 AM

189 posts, read 260,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
You THINK you're sure you want green side, cool, rain et al. But that's largely in the realm of fantasy at this point. But until you confront the reality... it has its good points, and its bad, and you need to consider both... you're mostly in the space of illusion. The first time you slide your feet into a pair of shoes and find mold in them, or pull a towel off the rod and discover the back is black with mildew, or step on a centipede in your bare feet, I guarantee "Living the dream!" will not be the first words on your lips!
...and he is only talking about the climate issues here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island