Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 05:09 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,996 times

Advertisements

Wow, I'm impressed by all the info from OpenD, way to go. This is THE Definitive HI Volcano Thread.

So it wouldn't be complete without my favorite link. How to see the volcano if you can't go there:

HVO Photos & Video

OK, one more because I just love maps:

HVO Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 05:34 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
Wow, I'm impressed by all the info from OpenD, way to go. This is THE Definitive HI Volcano Thread.
He mea iki.

I've posted much of this before, but once I got started somehow I just got into updating it all today, now that Volcano House has reopened and my beloved Kiawe Kitchens has closed, and besides I was in avoidance mode on a chore I really didn't feel like tackling today.

Quote:
So it wouldn't be complete without my favorite link. How to see the volcano if you can't go there:

HVO Photos & Video

OK, one more because I just love maps:

HVO Maps
Yayyy. Thanks for those. I meant to post the East Rift Zone map myself, but forgot. It shows pretty clearly why you can't hike or bike or moto in to a viable viewing site at the moment. Click on the map to enlarge it. August 22 there was a lava tube breakout that diverted the lava flow away from where it had been entering the sea, and now you can't see anything. It's just spreading out across the rift zone.

Oh, here's a goody... look at this sunrise lavaboat photo! Criminies that's gorgeous.
Kalapana Lava Boat Volcano Ocean Tour General Information Page

And here's more on available tours. Book early, because they fill up early. Talk to them about CURRENT viewing conditions. It can change daily, hourly even. The Big Island is like that.

Hawaii Volcano Tour - Kalapana Lava Boat Ocean Adventure and Guided Lava Hike Big Island

Last edited by OpenD; 11-05-2013 at 05:45 PM..

Old 11-06-2013, 11:04 AM

Default Hawai'i "hotel tax"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Since it's 45 minutes drive back to Hilo, on a dark narrow road, after a night-time volcano viewing or a concert in the park I recommend staying overnight in Volcano.
Apologies... to be thorough and complete, I should have mentioned that all Transient Accomodations (rentals under 6 months duration, if you have residence elsewhere) have two taxes added:

The General Excise Tax (GET) is not a sales tax, but a transaction tax, which effectively is similar to sales tax in Hawai'i... it's added to everything you buy and every service you pay for. On Oahu it is figured at 4.712%, on all other islands at 4.166%.

To that is added the 9.25% Transient Accomodations Tax. So on the Big Island or sister islands a hotel room, or B&B or resort room or other accommodations will have a 13.416% tax added to your room rate. On Oahu the combined rate is currently 13.962%.

Why don't they just call it a hotel tax, like every other state does?

Because they don't. It's just another one of the 1,001 ways Hawai'i is different. Besides, it's not just for hotels, it's actually for any kind of short term rental, including ohanas and condos, though there's a lot of tax evasion on this matter.

In any case, better to be informed than surprised, yes or not?

Good luck.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:13 AM

34 posts, read 73,256 times
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker

Me too, OpenD thank you for posting so much great info!!
All the information you have posted has definitely helped me and I hope it helps others too!

Old 11-08-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha88 View Post
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker

Me too, OpenD thank you for posting so much great info!!
All the information you have posted has definitely helped me and I hope it helps others too!

He me iki ia (You're welcome) I am deeply satisfied when I can be of assistance.

Enjoy Hawai'i

Old 11-08-2013, 01:07 PM

189 posts, read 260,665 times
How about you just write a book?...or a web.page. It feels like i'm reding from one when i read your posts.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:50 PM

Default Tickling ribs for your pleasure, since the dial-up era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.ca View Post
How about you just write a book?...or a web.page. It feels like i'm reding from one when i read your posts.
Mahalo for your kind thoughts. To tell you the truth, when I post here I'm mostly playing hooky from my regular writing.

I have a long term personal project writing a book that is half personal memoirs / half exploration of the seismic cultural shifts in America since WWII, with the former hopefully illustrating the latter. And this month I also committed to a NaNoWriMo project to write at least a 50,000 word novel by the end of November. So far I am behind schedule on that self-imposed schedule, largely because I can't resist stopping to share what I know and love about Hawai'i with others. In another life, I might have been a Roberts tour guide.

As I have since I led my first big workshop in Chicago in my early 20s, I share what I have learned with others because it gives me pleasure to be of service to them. And it gives me even more pleasure when what I share here entertains those folks at least a little. A smile, a smirk, a giggle or two, they're like candy to me. I tickle ribs for your pleasure. That's a very solid secondary motivation for me.

To my grandchildren's and exes' despair, piling up financial gain has always been in a distant third place for my attention. Idiosyncratic soul of the artiste, and all that jazz, know what I mean?

So, ennaways, you make my heart happy when you let me know that what I do here works for you, in whatever way it does. My stuff doesn't work for everyone, sadly, but global conquest always starts from modest beginnings, eh? Viva la raza!

I'm OpenD, and I approve this message. Aloha, y'all.

Last edited by OpenD; 11-08-2013 at 05:02 PM..

Old 11-08-2013, 08:20 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,117 times
I'm going to have to bookmark this thread as I won't remember this stuff come our April visit.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:47 PM

76 posts, read 154,216 times
I Just printed it out myself. Mahalo OpenD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island