Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 04:03 PM

35 posts, read 49,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If you can afford in town, that would be lovely. There are a couple of new subdivision areas going up on the dry side of Waimea. Dunno what the prices are, though, since it's way out of our price range. There are some tiny lots right across from Waimea Park (the one next to Parker School) that would be nice to build on if you didn't mind tiny lots. Those are right in the center of town and you could walk everywhere.
I actually liked those houses in Waimea Parkside (well based on the pics! lol). But there are just a little out of our price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 04:10 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin-pie View Post
Too many houses for sale in that one neighborhood and I am wondering if this is a good or a bad sign. I think it is Lualai??
Lulai at Parker Ranch is a new development by builder D.R. Horton.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:27 PM

51 posts, read 98,383 times
Pumpkin- Take a look at Alaska Airlines they have direct flights from San Jose, CA (this airport is small/efficient probably my favorite in CA next to OC) to Kona at very reasonable prices. I think I saw $250 per ticket on certain days in May. Good luck with your move.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C92653 View Post
Pumpkin- Take a look at Alaska Airlines they have direct flights from San Jose, CA (this airport is small/efficient probably my favorite in CA next to OC) to Kona at very reasonable prices. I think I saw $250 per ticket on certain days in May. Good luck with your move.
Thanks for the tip I will look into this flight! We were already considering driving 24 hrs to LA so the dogs have a shorter flight to Kona

Old 01-13-2014, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,081 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tip I will look into this flight! We were already considering driving 24 hrs to LA so the dogs have a shorter flight to Kona
Hi Pumpkin, please consider the following a respectful perspective. You are recklessly endangering the welfare of your pets arriving in Hawaii without a clue. Your posts have not indicated you have any idea whatsoever about where to live, how long it will take to find shelter, if you can find a dwelling for yourself. Let's pretend you were wealthy with terrific references and resources you still would be pressed to find a comfortable situation. Why are you not calling a property management company in advance to secure a rental? Why are you not flying in advance of your pets to prepare a home for them? It is not a given someone will offer you a place to live. What will you do for weeks, months while applying for tenancy? Are you really willing to put your pets through all the stresses of such a drastic move, unprepared as you are? If yes, you are not a very good owner.

How long do you think you could live out of a rental car (That is HUGE IF you can find an agency that will let you lease knowing you have animals that will be traveling with you)? Should you not get into a rental quickly are you expecting on leaving your dogs in a car while you submit applications? Do you have a concept how hot inside a car will be for them? Do you believe leaving a window down is doable? First if I were your dogs and you just threw me on a plane I would run from you the second opportunity presented itself. In Hawaii that escape will get them killed. Traffic, wild pigs, uneven terrain, dehydration, starvation, those are real possibilities. Even considering your dogs might be docile wait til they see mongoose. You could not catch up fast enough when they give chase.

I am hoping you are one of those dreamer posters with no sincere attempts to board a plane, however if you are for real leave your pets where they are until you can establish a proper home for them. Anything less than traveling before them is cruel.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatAreYouThinking View Post
Hi Pumpkin, please consider the following a respectful perspective. You are recklessly endangering the welfare of your pets arriving in Hawaii without a clue. Your posts have not indicated you have any idea whatsoever about where to live, how long it will take to find shelter, if you can find a dwelling for yourself. Let's pretend you were wealthy with terrific references and resources you still would be pressed to find a comfortable situation. Why are you not calling a property management company in advance to secure a rental? Why are you not flying in advance of your pets to prepare a home for them? It is not a given someone will offer you a place to live. What will you do for weeks, months while applying for tenancy? Are you really willing to put your pets through all the stresses of such a drastic move, unprepared as you are? If yes, you are not a very good owner.

How long do you think you could live out of a rental car (That is HUGE IF you can find an agency that will let you lease knowing you have animals that will be traveling with you)? Should you not get into a rental quickly are you expecting on leaving your dogs in a car while you submit applications? Do you have a concept how hot inside a car will be for them? Do you believe leaving a window down is doable? First if I were your dogs and you just threw me on a plane I would run from you the second opportunity presented itself. In Hawaii that escape will get them killed. Traffic, wild pigs, uneven terrain, dehydration, starvation, those are real possibilities. Even considering your dogs might be docile wait til they see mongoose. You could not catch up fast enough when they give chase.

I am hoping you are one of those dreamer posters with no sincere attempts to board a plane, however if you are for real leave your pets where they are until you can establish a proper home for them. Anything less than traveling before them is cruel.
Wow! This is totally unnecessary! We are not showing up in Waimea without housing with a 7-month old let alone two dogs. We are moving in May (maybe June) not next month and we are already looking for a place NOW! JFC I/we am not that irresponsible to do that to the dogs and my baby!!! Live in a rental car??? Seriously?! We just talked to a realtor and a lender today. Tomorrow I am getting in touch with a property management and I have already potential VRBO in place that will consider dogs! WTF! I really appreciate all the concern that is why the have spent a lot of time researching. I am working on a back-up plan to leave one of the dogs with a friend (this is the only option) other than a boarding facility.

Leaving the dogs is just not night and day in our case that is why we are trying out best to find what is best for us.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:04 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,834,185 times
Quote:
Wow! This is totally unnecessary! We are not showing up in Waimea without housing with a 7-month old let alone two dogs. We are moving in May (maybe June) not next month and we are already looking for a place NOW! JFC I/we am not that irresponsible to do that to the dogs and my baby!!! Live in a rental car??? Seriously?! We just talked to a realtor and a lender today. Tomorrow I am getting in touch with a property management and I have already potential VRBO in place that will consider dogs! WTF! I really appreciate all the concern that is why the have spent a lot of time researching. I am working on a back-up plan to leave one of the dogs with a friend (this is the only option) other than a boarding facility.

Leaving the dogs is just not night and day in our case that is why we are trying out best to find what is best for us.
Pumpkin Pie, you come across as a responsible person. The post by "WhatAreYouThinking" is a first post by someone probably trolling. You have to ignore posts like that one.
There are some mean, drunk, and surly people on here at times.
Best of luck to you!

Old 01-13-2014, 08:59 PM

phew! I mean I know a week ago I knew very little about housing and relocating to the BI but geez I know more now especially from the suggestions I found here

We are trying our best, we really are. We are not one of those well we have 10K and we'll see what happens when we get there kind of people.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:12 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
There are two or three new subdivision areas being built in Waimea. There's Lualai which is just outside of the center of town over by the Parker Ranch Rodeo Arena side of town. Not a bad area, actually, although all the houses are the same (well, three or maybe four different models) and the trim is a touch cheesy. Horse head silhouettes on the shutters, horse weather vanes and that sort of thing. There is another newish subdivision on the road to Kawaihae which seems a little more exposed, windy and dry than Lualai. Might even be the same developer, though, I haven't looked. Given a choice between the one on the road to Kawaihae and Lualai, I'd probably choose Lualai.

The Parkside lots are the smallest - they are very tiny - but the location is great.

There will probably be houses available in these three areas since they are building new ones fairly slowly but consistently. The Parkside is a slower build out, though. But it was already too pricey.

Quote:
Thanks! I have been keeping an eye on a few listings that fits the criteria, two are new construction. But it seems that houses are moving fast they may not even be on the market when we get there. haha! Anyways, I am keeping a close eye for anything that comes up. Too many houses for sale in that one neighborhood and I am wondering if this is a good or a bad sign. I think it is Lualai??

Old 01-28-2014, 02:19 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,344,334 times
As others have wisely suggested, you want to RENT, not BUY. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. What if you buy your "dream" home only to discover after the fact that it's party time every night at the house next door? Got quiet neighbors? That could change overnight if they rent it out. And dogs.....we had to give ours away when we had to move when we sold our house. No one would take a dog, not even places in the boonies. My first hand experience is that some of the agencies, Jan Mahuna for instance, can be big trouble to deal with. Private rentals are on a case by case basis. Basically, there is a very, very tight housing market and people can, and will, decide who they wish to rent to based on who knows what criteria? They can and will play hardball because they don't care whether they rent to you or not, there are people in line. It's similar to the San Francisco rental market, but is otherwise nothing like the mainland. Just be creative and patient, and don't expect things to work like they did back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island