Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 03:27 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,591,649 times

Advertisements

How do you pack light for a dream vacation to Hawaii for one week in March?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 03:34 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,938,193 times
Hmmm, wear the same clothes over and over again?

U.S. News Travel: How to Pack Light: 9 Tips to Lighten Your Load

Old 03-01-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Hmmm, wear the same clothes over and over again?

U.S. News Travel: How to Pack Light: 9 Tips to Lighten Your Load
I was thinking about that. Thanks for the link!

Old 03-01-2014, 05:16 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,685,696 times
The Big Island is very casual unless you are staying at one of the expensive fancy resorts, where you may need more than a tee shirt and shorts.

I would bring tee shirts, shorts, bathing suit, slippers (aka flip flops), sneakers if you plan to do any hiking, and a light sweater or jacket. Depending on where you are staying they may provide a beach towel, which will save you room in your suitcase. You also want to leave plenty of room for all of the Hawaiiana stuff that you are going to buy here.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:33 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,280,636 times
Depending on where you go, you might need one long pair of pants and a fairly heavy jacket. If you go to the higher elevations, it can be too cold and nasty for a T-shirt and shorts. If you stay in a VRBO rental, you'll likely have your own washer and drier, so you won't need to bring too many sets of clothes. It's a good idea to bring the heavier clothes with you when you drive around the island, since you can easily go between radically different climate areas within a day. Don't forget umbrellas for when you go over to the rainy side of the island. It rarely rained when we were visiting the Hilo area.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:43 PM

Thank you, we are using a by owner rental. We will be doing a bike ride up the volcano(?).
Thanks everyone, your feedback is appreciated.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:53 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,060,220 times
Natural fibers wear better over here than synthetic fabrics, at least as far as comfort go.

Volcano you'll probably want a sweater/windbreaker and or raincoat. If you had a waterproof windbreaker that might solve the which one to pack dilemma.

Folks don't dress up much at all. For men, long shorts (aka "pants" to the mainland types) and aloha shirts pretty much cover almost any "dress up" event. Sometimes the guys will wear shoes, too, but slippers (flip flops) are standard footwear. Folks have nice slippers, though, and they are sort of formal, usually black or dark colors. Not bright flashy beach wear sort of slippers. Scott slippers are nice: https://scotthawaii.com/ For Aloha shirts, there's quite a few, although the nicer ones are expensive.

Women wear casual dresses or nicer shorts/slacks and shirts for dress up. Sandals work well. Tee shirts and shorts works for most everyone. Some of the younger crowd in Honolulu or in the heart of the resorts might dress up with heels and more bling, but that's not the usual style.

Although I did see some young women wearing sequined bikinis today. That's not all that typical, though. They'd also had tattoos on their okoles, which might be why the okole-floss bikinis.

There are clothing stores here as well as thrift shops and such, should you not pack enough, you could go buy one. What with the new baggage restrictions and also we are generally vacationing somewhere outside of our usual climate (and wardrobe) zone, we generally just go to a thrift shop in the area we are visiting and get the wardrobe we need there. After the vacation, we just drop it off there again and don't have to worry about dragging it along on airplanes or keeping it in a climate where we probably won't wear it again.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:34 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,765,373 times
Wow everyone just about covered it except bring or buy good sun tan lotion. Its very easy to burn bad in Hawai'i. Good luck, Aloha

Old 03-02-2014, 12:47 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,468,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Volcano you'll probably want a sweater/windbreaker and or raincoat. If you had a waterproof windbreaker that might solve the which one to pack dilemma.
Indeed. Volcano is at nearly 4,000' altitude, and sits on a pressure ridge that concentrates the wind. In March the average daytime temperature is about 58 F, and can be below 50 at night. It's also the second rainiest month of the year. Bottom line, while it can be warm in the sun on a nice day, it can also be windy and cold and wet, so be prepared. Think layers, and think waterproof shell, and a hat. Peel them off when you get someplace warmer.

PS, my personal secret weapon is a Totes Titanium compact auto-open, auto-close umbrella. It's very small, but rugged, and it works just as well as a parasol in hot sun as it does to deal with sudden rain showers in Hilo.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:03 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,225,470 times
No matter how long or short I vacation there I end up wearing bathing suits with t's and shorts over them. Always have to have my bathing on to take advantage of all the great beaches, don't want to pass them up. Rarely dress up, maybe for church or a fancy dinner. I always overpack and never wear half the stuff I bring. I end up shopping at night and buying fun new clothes there.

It depends on your lifestyle and how much you like to dress up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island