Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 12:24 PM

4 posts, read 4,135 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Thinking of making the move with nothing lined up job wise- no too smart i know, leaving East Coast behind-but i need to scratch this itch..

I have a truck and Harley motorcycle. should i bring both or only one or none ??

Thank You---you can smack me around if you like-- Bunky

Last edited by markdupell; 03-21-2014 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 01:53 PM

834 posts, read 1,222,617 times
Bring the truck. So you got something to sell to pay for the flight back home. Harleys we have too many and you'll end up giving her away.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:45 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,521,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Bring the truck. So you got something to sell to pay for the flight back home. Harleys we have too many and you'll end up giving her away.
^^^^^ Took the words right out of my mouth!

For many Americans the words March Madness refers to college basketball playoffs. Around here it's the time of year people who are really sick of snow and cold start posting really crazy stuff about moving to Hawai'i.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:59 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,112,534 times
Oh, I dunno, move over and bring them both. You may have to sell one or both to get back to the mainland, but someone here will get a sweet ride out of it. Or perhaps, you'll find a job and figure out how to make a go of it.

If it's just you and no kids, why not? Keep enough in reserve to get back to where you started and don't burn any bridges along the way and it should be an adventure.

Come to think of it, the Harley folk always ride in groups, is there a Harley group who will help you relocate?

Old 03-25-2014, 06:44 AM

Wow, thanks for great info--- I'm sure that EVERY person that moves to Islands leave.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:31 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,539,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdupell View Post
Wow, thanks for great info--- I'm sure that EVERY person that moves to Islands leave.
It was great info. Its just that most people don't want to hear it.

Being a newbie without a job isn't in your favor either. Employers here like to hire established people because of the large number of people who get here and run back to the mainland.
I read some stats from the State on how more people move away each month than arrive here! While that sounds odd, the population is still growing because of the large number of families having babies.

It will cost you maybe $2,000+ to get the truck here and another $1,000 or maybe a little more to get the bike here.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:08 AM

67 posts, read 159,826 times
I think that bringing the truck or the motorcycle really depends on where you want to live. If you choose a place in town on the east side of the island, by all means bring both because you will want the truck on rainy days and the motorcycle on clear days. If you are planning to move to a place in the country without paved roads, bring the truck and not the motorcycle as the Harley will not last long. If you are moving to the west side, you can get away with just bringing the bike, although it is always nice to have a truck, especially if you want to get to some great spots (must be 4x4). It rains much less over there and fuel is more expensive than on the east side.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:54 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,355,964 times
Yes, you are correct. Every person that comes w/ no plan, no job, no source of reliable and more than adequate income, no idea of what they're getting into, (it's not the mainland, and does not work like the mainland), and no appreciation for the experience of others, leaves. Sooner or later. I'd bet the farm on it, after seeing it happen over, and over, and over again.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:13 PM

30 posts, read 53,945 times
You should check out the Big Island just to trash all the mental fantasies you have about 'Hawaii the paradise, etc' based on a few photographs and cheesy TV shows. You should definitely visit before moving out here. The two big towns are Hilo (East, rainy) and Kona (West, hot/dry/expensive). Both towns have cheap hostels for people in transit. you can find all this stuff on the web. Also camping is cheap, again on the web.

Basically, when you get off the plane in Hilo or Kona, this place will either grab you with both arms and claim you as its own, or it won't. I'm sort of a mystical sort myself and this place just grabbed me like it had been waiting for me with the first deep breath of air I took here. I will never forget that experience. Your experience may differ.

Finding a job here is tough. REal tough. I've known people who were born here who have moved to N. Dakota to find work. It is that bad. You pretty much need to come here with the idea of creating your own employment somehow. That means having a skill and being willing to work hard and establish a reputation. Easier said than done.

Do not come here without an exit strategy. Nobody freezes here but life under a tarp in the rain/hot sun is no picnic. But test fate and give it a try. You might get lucky. Fate works in strange ways. Worst case scenario is your visit turns into a pleasant vacation on a round trip ticket.

Hawaii is not paradise because it has people on it. But it is as nice a place as exists on this earth. It really is. Coming out here and managing to stick is a real trick.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:19 PM

Thank You, NOW thats what I really needed to hear, have been to Maui 3 times but that is the extent of my expeirences..And I have the ability to embrace anything and anyone. Respect to you all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: