Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 11:53 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
Just another state with its pluses and minuses, and its own unique form of bigotry. Putrid, grotesque, vile bigotry, hiding behind "aloha", "Mahalo" and other terms of endearment. A bifold bigotry of culture and race simmering together in a cesspool of animus.
Opinions very, so i guess you will be moving from hawaii soon or not moving there at all?

Yeah those mainlander can be pretty racist and intolerant huh?

Old 04-07-2014, 12:06 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Quote:

But then, again, if you have nothing else of significance on your side, hiding behind culturism and racism is about all you have.
Now THAT'S a kao..........................................

Old 04-07-2014, 12:19 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I think the terms "local" and "Hawaiian" are difficult since folks don't realize they mean different things to other folks when they use them.

If you're on the mainland and you say someone is "local", that means they live in the area. Here, I suppose we would call them kama'aina or malihini depending on their length of residency. Frequently - but not always - when we use the term "local" in Hawaii, it means folks who are born here, are usually some shade of brown and are usually - although not always - a mix of different races. Frequently, even when using the term "local" one splits out the haoles and a haole born in Hawaii or even a long term resident would be a "local haole".

Then we get to that other often mis-used label of "Hawaiian". For the folks who are on the mainland and other places, they are used to names like a "New Yorker" or a "Floridian" or a "Californian". So, logically, they would expect anyone living in the state of Hawaii to be a "Hawaiian". But if you live in Hawaii, you know that to be a "Hawaiian" you must be a descendant of one of the original peoples that were here before the rest of the world realized the islands existed. Although I don't know if they differentiate between if you are a descendant from the original Micronesians or a descendant of the Polynesians who wiped them out (if one follows several histories). Anyway, having the state named after the indigenous folks who live here as well as naming the entire state the same as one of the islands of the state sure has made for a lot of confusion.

And what's Costco got to do with it?
Thanks, hotzcatz. This issue seems to keep coming up, and your explanation is one of the best I've seen. Hopefully you'll save that to use again, because it WILL come up again. (I'm not talking about Costco).

Old 04-07-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Opinions VARY, do they? Who knew??

Where I live - now, previously and in the future - is irrelevant to the issue. MainlanderS can be racist as well, but there, is it is frowned upon, not worn as a badge of worth.

But then, again, if you have nothing else of significance on your side, hiding behind culturism and racism is about all you have.
Unfortantly im not a racist, but ive been called one because i don't believe making our islands like the mainland is co-existence, I believe the mainland way of life, culture etc has its place in the melting pot of Hawai'i. But whats funny is caucasian people are 25% of the population, but somehow our laidback lifestyles keep getting faster and faster, local culture is disappearing, our unique neighborhoods despite protest are being genterfied. Our heiaus are being dugup and desecratted. And somehow with a simple message of preservation of aina, culture etc its intolerance and racism.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:24 AM

I guess im a racist if i don't want to see our unique home looking and being like any large mainland city only with tropical sun and blue oceans.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Depends on your reason for not wanting to see the change. If it is because you hate the race(s) making the changes, it IS racism. From your earlier mention of "...25% Caucasian...", It would appear that in your case, it almost certainly IS racism, or at least race-based.

Did you object to the changes to Hawaiian culture brought about by the influx of Asians, such as Japanese?
No i thought evolution and progress was when all the cultures and races got together and formed pidgin english and localism? These were japanese, hawaiians, polynesians, filipinos, whites etc etc, it looked like Hawai'i. Nope i don't have alot of problems with asians who live on the islands, they have lived on the islands alot longer then mainlanders but for some reason you drive thru oahu and it doesn't look like tokyo but it does look like any major mainland city! I do have alot of issues with haole asian investors and mainland investors who come over and build resorts destroying sacred heiaus

Old 04-07-2014, 02:41 AM

destroying native ancestors bones, hurting the land, destroying or genterfying neighborhoods even when locals say no. So does this make me a racist? or intolerant against other cultures? And i didn't mention anything about native hawai'ian culture.

And sorry if i over reactted im usually the one on here that talks about preserving aina, culture etc. Im used to being called racist because i didn't believe making our once very unique island home into the mainland is co-existence but a hostle take over. I believe mainland culture has a place within our hawaii melting pot.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 04-07-2014 at 02:53 AM..

Old 04-07-2014, 09:31 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Just a guess. I'd say 80%+ people who live in Hawaii were born here - considered "local". This phobia of mainland people overrunning Hawaii is odd to me.
My experience also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island