Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 08:13 PM

19 posts, read 24,673 times

Advertisements

Is there any shipping companies that ship by the pound and have no minimum weight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 08:43 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,897,043 times
You mean besides the postal service, UPS, FedEx, and all the rest? What are your requirements?

Old 04-15-2014, 08:45 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Nope. Too many people would be shipping potato chips and popcorn. The air freight has weight concerns as well as some volume concerns. The ocean freight folks don't care so much about weight but get fussy about volume. There are also categories each freight fits into and prices are different for each category. Household goods are one of the more expensive categories.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:03 PM

All I'm looking to possibly ship would be some TVs books, movies, & important paperwork.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:04 PM

I looked at royal Hawaiian. But it would be about $3000 from where I live to where I'm moving with 1000lb minimum and I don't have that much stuff.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:32 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
This is the third thread you have opened on the same topic... shipping companies. You don't need to do that, and I think it's less confusing to others if you keep them together. Just add a new comment or question onto a thread you've already opened.

Also, you seem to be skipping over answers you've already been given or been pointed to. That wastes people's time and can burn out their interest in helping you.

Here are a couple of basics you've missed... there are only three shipping companies that serve Hawai'i from the US Mainland... Matson, Pasha, and Horizon. If you ship a car or container it will be transported by one of those three companies. If you rent a POD or ship a crate or a pallet, it will be put on one of their ships to be transported to Hawai'i. If you hire a moving company or a freight forwarder, they will put your goods on a ship operated by one of those three companies.

Since these three handle lots of large shipments, they're not good with very small shipments, such as what you seem to be describing, which is where freight forwarders and freight aggregators come in. You can stack boxes up on a 4' x 4' pallet as much as 6' or 7' feet high... check with them for specifics... then wrap it all up in shrinkwrap plastic and arrange to get it on a ship, probably inside a container with other small shipments. Their charges depend on weight, size, and how fast you need it to go.

Quote:
All I'm looking to possibly ship would be some TVs books, movies, & important paperwork.
Important papers should accompany you as baggage. Books and movies can be shipped least expensively by US Media Mail. Small household items can be mailed in Flat-Rate boxes, a bargain service if there ever was one. If that just leaves you with TVs I'd consider replacing them when you get here. Items like that don't always ship well anyway. There's a WalMart, a Target, a Costco, etc. so it's not a big deal to find new stuff.

And if you've been reading through the forum, as i suggested, you'll also find a lot of comments about finding what you need at garage sales, which is a popular sport on the Big Island.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:32 AM

Books, movies and paperwork if it's "media" type, can be sent via USPS "Media" rate. That's some of the least expensive shipping available, however, they do monitor the packages and make sure that only "media" is being shipped. So, the books and movies and such should be inexpensive enough.

TVs are tough, they are heavy and fragile. Might be worthwhile to sell them there and replace them here from Craig's List or even buy more new.

If it is important enough paperwork, you may want to do carry on.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:39 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Here we go again, Hotzcatz, giving pretty much the same advice at the same time... maybe it's the eclipse... or at least the full moon...

Old 04-16-2014, 12:50 AM

Or the okolehau!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island