Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2014, 05:40 PM

47 posts, read 69,881 times

Advertisements

Aloha! Great information and experience here, Mahalo!
My wife and I are planning a move to the Big Island in the next couple of years. We have an unimproved lot in HPP where we plan on building a small dwelling, and are in the planning stages. I am a carpenter and maintenance professional as well as a licensed contractor for the last 30 years in CA. I have been downsizing my business here to where I am just doing small jobs on my own as well as maintenance jobs for local B&B's and property managers and I am as busy as I want to be. I am not interested in contracting or doing large jobs on the Big Island and imagine there are plenty of good builders around to do as much work there as there is. I am curious if there is a niche for a guy like me locally, doing small jobs, recognizing that it takes some time and hustle to get to know people and establish some relationships in the community. But I am good at what I do, easy going and personable and I think I can get a toehold. What you t'ink?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 05:55 PM

834 posts, read 1,219,364 times
You plan to move to Puna for the same reason other folks have gone there: To live cheap and do things by themselves whenever possible. You may get to do some work here and there, but to get paid properly and on time will be a struggle.

The real work is on the Kona side where people have second homes and vacation rentals, meaning they have jobs, money and little time to fix things.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:19 AM

Mahalo, Kara, yes that is pretty much what I am envisioning.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:27 AM

It occurs to me I might do just as well working at Home depot....

Old 06-01-2014, 12:10 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,920,198 times
There are very few jobs in Puna. Literally a handful. Most people drive into Hilo for work.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:36 PM

I assumed that also...as it is now I drive from Big Sur to Santa Cruz at times. Gotta go where the work is.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:54 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
If you're planning on working in Hilo, might be worthwhile to consider living in Hilo. If your lot is unimproved, it could either be kept for something later or sold for about what you paid for it, perhaps.

Even though you now have a commute to work, that doesn't mean commuting is something you'd want to continue if you can get around it. Before you have much invested in an area or friends to move away from, it might be worthwhile to look into living where the work will be.

I'm really surprised a second road into HPP hasn't been built yet. Having pretty much the entire Puna area go through that big bypass around Kea'au and then only having one road into the area just doesn't seem safe, IMHO. Not to mention that bit of lava slowly working it's way toward the one and only road into Pahoa. But, maybe it will work for you and you won't mind the one road.

Although they have fixed up the Kea'au - Pahoa road a lot in the past couple of decades. It used to be very small, narrow, full of potholes and you had to drive through Pahoa to get to the other side. The Pahoa bypass was a good idea. But the whole area all feeds through the Kea'au - Pahoa road and that's not big enough for the amount of cars on it now.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:33 PM

My idea is to wait until social security kicks in, work a little to supplement our income and enjoy Puna...if there was lots of local work I'd run right over but there's time to get some plans ready, maybe get the septic in....start the Hale in a couple of years and get to know the area better. No rush!

Old 06-06-2014, 09:34 PM

And if we decide to come sooner, rent in Hilo for a while and work on the HPP place as time and money allow.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:10 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,684,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchanmer View Post
My idea is to wait until social security kicks in, work a little to supplement our income and enjoy Puna...if there was lots of local work I'd run right over but there's time to get some plans ready, maybe get the septic in....start the Hale in a couple of years and get to know the area better. No rush!
Excellent plan We had a seven year plan when we moved, because that's how long my husband had to work to be eligible for full pension. Really glad we did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: