Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 10:39 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Flat rate boxes from USPS. Happens to be one of the very few things that are not more expensive to ship to Hawaii.
I personally can't imagine going to all the trouble and expense ($12.35 postage on Medium Flat Rate box) to mail shampoo to myself in Hawai'i just to save $3 a bottle on the purchase price, but if I did, I'd be sure to carefully follow the rules...

Quote:
General Liquid Mailing Guidelines

Always label boxes containing liquids.
There must be a sticker or stamp on the outside of the package that tells the postal service that liquids are inside, even with Priority Mail Flat Rate packaging.

All liquids over four ounces in glass or breakable containers must have the original container sealed within another container that won't leak, such as a plastic bag or can. Liquids mailed in glass containers must also be cushioned so they don't break. The outer mailing container must be strong enough to protect glass containers from crushing or breaking. Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes provided by the USPS are generally strong enough to contain liquids with appropriate cushioning, while Priority Mail Flat Rate envelopes aren't recommended for shipping liquids.

For more information: https://www.usps.com/ship/can-you-ship-it.htm
Shlepping a bunch of bottles of liquid in my suitcases doesn't sound to me like a bucket of chuckles either. Every 32 oz weighs about 2.3 pounds, so it would be easy to go overweight, and incur a surcharge, wiping out the savings. Not to mention that when wrestling three suitcases apiece, loading them up with extra weight doesn't sound like the best travel strategy. Oh, and then there's the increased odds that TSA will pull your suitcases for manual inspection once they spot those big bottles of liquid in the X-Ray inspection.

And let's not forget, if a bottle breaks or a cap works loose, you could wind up with a suitcase full of regret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 08:58 PM

15 posts, read 20,497 times
Thanks everyone. Great advice!

Old 06-30-2014, 02:10 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Hey! Your big move is tomorrow! Good luck and travel safely! We will be interested to hear any updates on how it is going or how it went!

Old 07-26-2016, 11:03 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times
Why do I get the feeling that someone who is moving from San Diego to Kona can afford whatever it is they're asking for shampoo in Hawaii? Jeeez. Might as well grab some gratis rolls of toilet paper off the plane while you're at it.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:45 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Why do I get the feeling that someone who is moving from San Diego to Kona can afford whatever it is they're asking for shampoo in Hawaii? Jeeez. Might as well grab some gratis rolls of toilet paper off the plane while you're at it.
For me it's not a matter of "affording" (we do have WalMart, Target, and Costco!) but it's a matter of choice. The brands of shampoo and facial care just are not available for purchase anywhere on the Big Island. One of the luxuries that I allow myself later in life.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:36 AM

101 posts, read 138,560 times
For God's sake bring toilet paper. It's constantly sold out everywhere. So tired of Ti leaves.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:38 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonaunauLove View Post
For God's sake bring toilet paper. It's constantly sold out everywhere. So tired of Ti leaves.
And, of course, there's always the inherent danger associated with banana peels.....

Don't ask me how I,,,, uuuurrrrrppppp, know

Old 07-28-2016, 11:32 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
And, of course, there's always the inherent danger associated with banana peels.....

Don't ask me how I,,,, uuuurrrrrppppp, know
It's true desperation once you have worked your way down and only have rambutan hulls and pineapple rinds left.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:36 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
It's true desperation once you have worked your way down and only have rambutan hulls and pineapple rinds left.
You need to go for a swim in the ocean. It works miracles!

Old 07-30-2016, 06:35 PM

101 posts, read 138,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
You need to go for a swim in the ocean. It works miracles!
Nothing gets rid of a level 4 squirrel tail or code 5 monkey butt like a good salt dip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: