Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:05 PM

10 posts, read 13,176 times

Advertisements

I have sentimental snow globes and antiques that I want to take with me. What's the best way of getting it there? I will not be shipping furniture or anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 08:22 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,800 times
Having just moved to the BI with a limited number of items (mostly documents, family heirlooms, pictures and tools) I'll weigh in.
I shipped a single 3' X 4' X 7'/1800 lb pallet using a freight forwarder (Aloha Freight).
It was picked up at my house in California and delivered to my house in Ocean View. Total cost was $1,200 and it actually arrived before my car did (shipped via Matson).
Aloha was very professional; I received daily e-mail updates on my shipments status and can't say enough good things about their level of communication and customer service.

Now, as far as packing for survivability of the items I shipped. I have worked in distribution and know how to build a load that will survive transit. I had many breakable items, these were packed low on the pallet and in the center of the load, surrounded by less breakable items such as tools and other household goods.

The whole load was wrapped with pallet stretch wrap, then wrapped with landscaping fabric (for added strength and to masque pallet contents) and then wrapped again with pallet wrap. I used almost a whole roll of pallet wrap and also wrapped completely over the top of the pallet.

I had one broken picture frame out of the entire load.

I'm sure you could also ship via USPS/FedEx or UPS as well. But since I didn't use any of those I'll leave it for others to comment on those methods.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:38 PM

I go back and forth with shipping more household goods. It's expensive to ship that's for sure!

Old 07-15-2014, 09:04 PM

I had considered shipping a container, but in the end, took the general forum advice that it's easier to replace items once there.
Also, I must say, it was quite cathartic to sell, give or throw away the bulk of 27 years' worth of accumulated possessions. I really came to realize what a slave I had become to much of what I owned.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:06 PM

Oh yeah, and you want expensive, start shipping pets. Two cats and a dog at nearly $1,000 each total cost.
Lucky for them they are like family.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:08 PM

Thank goodness I have no pets!

Old 07-16-2014, 11:50 AM
Due

245 posts, read 380,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Oh yeah, and you want expensive, start shipping pets. Two cats and a dog at nearly $1,000 each total cost.
Lucky for them they are like family.
If the Vet work & Lab rabies testing, Vet final health checkups and letters, HI permits, Pet Safe shipping, Vet meeting us in Kona, and other costs (3 kennels) are included (not counting countless personal hours):
3 dogs cost us about $5,000.

Yes: they are family.
PS: they love it here.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Due View Post
If the Vet work & Lab rabies testing, Vet final health checkups and letters, HI permits, Pet Safe shipping, Vet meeting us in Kona, and other costs (3 kennels) are included (not counting countless personal hours):
3 dogs cost us about $5,000.

Yes: they are family.
PS: they love it here.
True Due, I didn't include incidnetals in my figure.
And for anyone shipping pets (well at least dogs). Make sure you bring cleaning supplies for the arrival (wet-wpies, water, paper towels and plastic bags). One thing nobody mentioned, your dogs will likely defecate from the stress.
I arrived in Kona and was like "huh, I thought I shipped a Border Collie and an Aussie, not two Chocolate Labs".
Yeah, it was just that bad.
And tying to dissasemble and clean the kennels and both dogs before putting them in the car, in the sun and heat of mid-day Kona, fun fun.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:24 PM

I hear pros and cons about shipping household goods. It's expensive but you will not have to shop and look for replacement items at twice the cost of things. I think most of us are pack rats to a certain point but sentimental things can't be replaced.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:28 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Most likely, you will have a smaller house than what you have on the mainland - including smaller room sizes, so take that into consideration. Also - if on the Hilo side - humidity is a real issue and some furniture types simply won't hold up. Leather is a real problem. Mold seems to love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: