Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:11 AM

8 posts, read 11,351 times

Advertisements

Hi folks:

I think I'm about to be offered a job in Hilo, and am seriously considering the move (I live in Pennsylvania, and if I never see another "polar vortex" it will be too soon). But the guy who interviewed me told me I really needed to do a "gut check" because actually living on Hawaii is probably not the "living on Hawaii" I have in my mind.

Most of the concerns he mentioned aren't big deals to me, but one is: The weather in Hilo, i.e. what sounds like unremitting rain. My wife and I both agree that to live in a place where it's gray and raining all the time simply won't work for us, so for those who know Hilo - is that how you'd describe it?

Alternately, how far does one have to get outside Hilo to find a community within commuting distance that gets noticeably less rain? I've read some of the threads about commuting on here, I currently have a 20-30 minute commute time so that, or even a little longer, is no big deal to me (I realize the cost of gas on the island is much higher than I'm used to, but I'd basically ditch the truck I have now for something far smaller and more fuel-efficient for that purpose).

Lastly, if we'd choose to rent instead of buy, which I think is likely, what will $1,200 per month or so get you, and are housing prices significantly less outside of Hilo?

-thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 08:36 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
As part of your gut check, read the many posts here about why it's different to live in Hawaii. OpenD started a discussion about the 1001 things different about living in Hawaii, and we add to that often.

We have also had some discussions here about how much does it really rain in Hilo. I live 50 miles away and go to Hilo about once a month, and it rarely rains when I'm there. So the rain is not unremitting. Also, even though they do seem to get a lot of rain, it seems to happen more in late afternoon or early evening, so at least a part of the day is sunny. This year has been particularly wet, even in the arid part of the island where I live.

Regarding places to live in the area, you could go north, south, or west (or east if you have a houseboat). North along the coast is beautiful, but very rainy. Some people like going west to Mountain View or Volcano, but those areas are always rainy when we go through there. Lots of people live south, which seems less rainy, but a killer of a commute into Hilo.

If you do decide to rent never, ever, ever, ever, rent a place until you see it in person.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:49 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
I won't pull any punches... Hilo is a very rainy city. Very very. One of the rainiest.

For comparison, most people think Seattle is a rainy city, with an average of 140 rainy days a year, and 37" of rainfall total. Hilo averages 278 rainy days and 157" of rainfall.

On the other hand, Seattle gets a lot of days when it just drizzles all day, and it can be grey and gloomy for a week at a time, whereas in Hilo the rain has more of a tendency to dump hard for half an hour and then clear up, leaving everything fresh and shiny and lush. Or to rain at night, clearing by morning, due to the way the air comes down off the slopes in the late afternoon and evening, bringing moisture with it and dropping it on the town.

This old article explains it pretty well, but ignore the comments about Kaikodo Restaurant. Sadly, it's closed.

FRUGAL TRAVELER - On the Big Island, Hilo Is the Perfect Rainy-Day Place - NYTimes.com

Old 07-24-2014, 10:24 AM

8 posts, read 11,351 times
Thanks for the responses. I'd seen that NYT article, and that would be key difference. I/we can deal with intense downpours followed by periods of sun. The long periods of grey and gloom, no interest in that at all.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:39 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
"Most of the concerns he mentioned aren't big deals to me, but one is: The weather in Hilo, i.e. what sounds like unremitting rain. My wife and I both agree that to live in a place where it's gray and raining all the time simply won't work for us, so for those who know Hilo - is that how you'd describe it?"

In Hilo, it rains almost every day, and it's sunny almost every day. Sometimes its not sunny for several days, and sometimes it doesn't rain for several days. If you feel "rained out" you can usually drive for about 2 hours and be either in Kona or the Ka'u desert where it seldom rains. Of course, think about gas prices... ($3.91 per gallon cash price at Safeway today, BTW).

"Alternately, how far does one have to get outside Hilo to find a community within commuting distance that gets noticeably less rain? I've read some of the threads about commuting on here, I currently have a 20-30 minute commute time so that, or even a little longer, is no big deal to me (I realize the cost of gas on the island is much higher than I'm used to, but I'd basically ditch the truck I have now for something far smaller and more fuel-efficient for that purpose)."

There's LOTS of places within 20-30 minutes that have less rain... some of the time... microclimates here can't be covered in a post like this. Really more of a textbook type subject.

"Lastly, if we'd choose to rent instead of buy, which I think is likely, what will $1,200 per month or so get you, and are housing prices significantly less outside of Hilo?"

Housing prices can be significantly less outside of Hilo.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:02 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Nope, no long periods of gray and gloom. It will be rainy, it is Hilo, after all, but it won't do the drizzle thing for days on end. At least, not usually. If there's a storm front or some such, then you may have a few days of drizzle but that's not the typical weather pattern.

If it were me, I'd choose housing as close to work and Hilo as possible. There's so many things to do in Hilo and if you have to drive half an hour to do them, you'll not do as many things.

If you live fifteen miles from work and your car gets thirty miles a gallon, then you'll use a gallon of gas a day getting to and from work. Twenty working days a month times $4.50 a gallon means you can spend $90 more per month to live in Hilo and break even because of the amount you save in gas. If your car only gets 20 miles a gallon, then you can spend $135 more per month to live in Hilo and still break even. If you have a hotrod that only gets 10 miles per gallon, then you can afford $270 more per month to live in Hilo. Hmm, these numbers assume only one car is going to town each day, too. If you have two cars going into town each day, then double the numbers.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:41 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times
Gasoline is the most visible cost of driving, but actually other costs are more than the gasoline component for the cost of driving. The average cost is 60 cents per mile. However, this includes purchase, depreciation, maintenance, and insurance. Some of the costs are "sunk" costs which you still have to pay if you own a car, but don't drive it much.

It Costs More To Own And Operate Your Car, AAA Says

Another thing people don't think about is how much it costs in terms of their time. After working a full day, your computing time is probably 'worth' at least your hourly pay at the time and a half rate. So, the cost in terms of your person time is probably the largest cost of driving.

I work with a lot of people who commute 60 minutes each way. They complain about traffic and driving a lot. When it snows a lot that 60 minute commute and turn into a 2 to 4 hour commute each way (no snow in Hawaii ). When they get home after a workday, they don't have time for much except to eat and go to bed because they are 'shot' from the long commutes. The only time they have to relax and work around their homes are the weekends. So, the longer commutes can degrade your quality of life too.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:20 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
The Pacific Tsunami Museum Hilo Bay Webcam

That is about the only live webcam for Hilo. Check it out to see what the weather is.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:23 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
The webcam is on top of the Masonic building near the stop light right before you get to singing bridge as you're leaving Hilo and heading up the Hamakua coast. I always try to wave at it when going by, seems friendlier, although I don't know if anyone is watching at that particular time.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:50 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
The webcam is on top of the Masonic building near the stop light right before you get to singing bridge as you're leaving Hilo and heading up the Hamakua coast. I always try to wave at it when going by, seems friendlier, although I don't know if anyone is watching at that particular time.
Give us a heads up, next time, and we'll look out for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: