Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 01:11 PM

6 posts, read 6,223 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have trolled for a little while here and have learned that most of you believe it is best to move to Hilo with a job lined up. But also that most businesses won't hire you if you don't already live there. Not just moved there new to town but lived there 6 months or a year. So do I understand this right? If I move there I need to be prepared to not find work for the first year?

I have 6 years experience installing solar power systems of all kind. Domestic hot water, pool heating, off-grid power, and grid tied power. I have sent resumes to every solar contractor on the Big Island. And am trying to plan my move or next spring.

No responses from any solar contractors. But I look on Craigslist and see adds for solar sales people. Anyone have advice on how I can break into the solar hot water field there?

I am discouraged slightly by all the negative stories about people not making it on the island. But at the same time I have lived in ski resort based towns for 25 years. I see a lot of people come to town thinking life is like what they see in the magazines, then give up after a year or two and go back to where ever. Cause they miss their friends, find out they really have to work hard to live in a resort community, didn't become a factory sponsored snowboarder as planned, or did something foolish and physically hurt themselves. I moved 25 years ago with no job and knowing not one person in this area. I always found that you can find work if you are dependable, consistent, respectful, drama free, and will work hard.

I don't think I have any false illusions about Hawaii. I know it will be hard work. I feel like I am bringing a needed skill with me and I should be able to find work in my field. What you say? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 01:19 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,690,061 times
You say you've sent resumes. Have you tried calling the solar contractors? It's really easy for them to toss your letter in the trash, but at least with a phone call you have a chance to talk with someone for a few minutes. Especially the ones running the ads on CL.

Do I understand you right that you won't be moving until next Spring? I think it's going to be really hard to get a company to commit to hiring someone who won't be there for seven months or so.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:22 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,524,884 times
Are you certified in the solar industry? That would be a big plus, but your experience alone should be good.

on the other hand, since you are not already here, most employers simply file mainland resumes directly to the circular bin.
They get so many resumes from "dreamers" that it simply isn't worth their time to pursue them.

The best way for you to get hired here is to save up a bunch of cash, then move here, immediately thereafter getting a Hawaii driver's license, local 808 phone number and local address.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the responses.

Dreaming of Hawaii - I did call two. They both said the same thing I hear looking for a job anywhere these days, "Have you filled out an app on-line?" No one wants to talk to anyone these days because they get so many applicants for work. Most companies are using a computer program to sort through the resumes so there is a high probability that you can be rejected without anyone ever seeing your resume. I know it is a long shot to set up work so far in advance. But I feel like I should at least try. I have found the support of nobody for just moving there and hope it works out. -

md and 3boys- not NABCEP certified, but union apprenticed as well as power company code compliance training, industry mfg sponsored workshops, OSHA 10, and seminars with John Wiles (he wrote the NEC code on solar).

It really seems like the only way you can live in Hawaii is either have a company on the mainland send you there, or just decide that's where you want to be and go hoping it will all work out. No one is going to hire you before you have lived there for awhile. Am I wrong?

Old 08-23-2014, 03:27 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavinJ View Post
I don't think I have any false illusions about Hawaii. I know it will be hard work. I feel like I am bringing a needed skill with me and I should be able to find work in my field. What you say? Thanks.
Aloha,

I think your experience so far reflects two key truths... in Hawai'i there is a strong bias in many fields against hiring anyone who is not already living in the state, for a variety of completely valid reasons... and simply sending out unrequested resumes is nearly a useless exercise.

Read up on modern hiring practices. Unless an employment ad specifically requests that resumes be submitted, sending a resume is normally something you should do after you've spoken to someone at the company, and it should be sent along with a cover letter addressed to that person, or to another they direct you to. Merely mailing a resume will likely land it in the trash. It's not worth the postage or the effort.

And unless you have experience and skills the company just can't find locally, there's almost no percentage in them responding to you. First, if they have a current need, why should they wait for you to get your life together and get moved and settled and maybe hate it and want to leave, as so many do? Second, why should they take a chance and make you an offer and hold the position open for you when based on experience they know that you are highly likely to flake out out and never show up? It's just a sad reality that a lot of employers have gotten burned trying to hire people who say they want to live in Hawai'i but who are living elsewhere.

Add to that the very strong cultural bias towards hiring people the boss knows, or the other employees know, or who have members of their ohana (extended family) willing to recommend them, and you'll be at the bottom of the pile... even once you move to Hawai'i.

And that's why it can take a long time, on average, to find a job... even once you're here.

Yes, solar installations are booming. The Big Island has one of the highest installed bases in residential solar energy in the country. But you'll need an electrician's license to install electric, and a plumber's license to install solar water heaters, so that's a another potential barrier to just jumping in.

You could try calling some of the listed installation companies, to see if anyone will talk to you, but another "reality bite" is, a lot of them won't call you back at a mainland phone number.

Good luck!

Old 08-23-2014, 03:48 PM

Open D - I feel what you are saying, I sent resumes with cover letter explaining my situation. Well versed in modern practices but I still feel like I have to try everything I can if I want to move. Honestly I am not seeking a position to be held open for me. I am trying to fit in to a plan a business may have for expanding, and letting them know I would be available. That is one tactic I have decided to try. I am getting a clear picture that efforts made at planning to move with a job in hand are not realistic. I must be willing to just show up, then build a strong network of local friends to find work.

Hawaii requires all installers to be a licensed electrician? I suppose that there are probably enough of them fighting for work that that is industry standard for Hawaii. Usually there is one licensed electrician required and apprentices or labor is used to build the racking and wire the array. My experience has been that I did all racking, module install, the ac and dc wiring, and the final connection to the grid, then a full cert would inspect my work and put his name on it.

Did try calling two companies. They did not want to talk at all. I get it. I understand family taking care of family. I get people being skeptical of outsiders. The ski resort community is the same way.

I come to the conclusion that if I want to live in Hawaii I just have to roll the dice and do it. If I can build strong networks with locals and other transplants I will survive and possibly thrive. Sound right?

I think meand3boys spoke the plain, correct, truth when he said "The best way for you to get hired here is to save up a bunch of cash, then move here, immediately thereafter getting a Hawaii driver's license, local 808 phone number and local address."

Last edited by NavinJ; 08-23-2014 at 05:02 PM..

Old 08-23-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Open D - I feel what you are saying, I sent resumes with cover letter explaining my situation.
To whom? Unless it was addressed to a specific person and tailored around a specific conversation you had with a specific person, I doubt if anyone got past the first paragraph. Sorry, that's the reality.

Quote:
I am getting a clear picture that efforts made at planning to move with a job in hand are not realistic. I must be willing to just show up, then build a strong network of local friends to find work.
Sorry to say, I think that's true. Then once you show up you'll be dealing with the cultural factor that many people will be surface-friendly but hold you at arms length until you've been here long enough to seem like you might stay. If attending church and getting involved in church activities is something you're open to, it does seem to be one way people find to shorten the acceptance cycle.

Quote:
My experience has been that I did all racking, module install, the ac and dc wiring, and the final connection to the grid, then a full cert would inspect my work and put his name on it.
You can do the racking without a license. Other than that I think you'll need to be at least an apprentice.

Quote:
Did try calling two companies. They did not want to talk at all. I get it. I understand family taking care of family. I get people being skeptical of outsiders. The ski resort community is the same way.
OK, good. Understanding that reality can save you a lot of grief.

Quote:
I come to the conclusion that if I want to live in Hawaii I just have to roll the dice and do it. If I can build strong networks with locals and other transplants I will survive and possibly thrive. Sound right?
Yes, and building strong networks with locals and others may prove tougher than you think, so be prepared.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:11 AM

Open-D -Are you a native Hawaiian? How did you get there if not?

Do you know from experience that all the contractors and installers are union only?

Old 08-24-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Open-D -Are you a native Hawaiian? How did you get there if not?
The old fashioned way. I retired.

Quote:
Do you know from experience that all the contractors and installers are union only?
I didn't say that, nor is that the case. But electricians and plumbers must be licensed, and an approved apprenticeship is part of the license requirement.

Quote:
Hawai‘i’s journeyman electrician requirements are one of the most stringent among states that license journeyman electricians. In eighteen states journeyman electricians are not licensed or are regulated at the local government level. Of the thirty-two states that issue a license comparable to Hawai‘i’s, twenty-nine require four years of apprenticeship; two, including Hawai‘i require five years; and one requires two years.

Journeyman electrician summary

Old 08-24-2014, 12:52 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,068,351 times
Not all the installers on a job site are licensed nor union. The job will be signed off by a licensed plumber/electrician, but the helpers and general gudoots (go-do-it) aren't necessarily licensed.

Construction industry in Hawaii is extremely cyclical. It's either boom or bust, there's not much of a neutral state. There's also not a neighboring state to go find work at so when it's bust, it's bust all over. Generally, though, the construction guys find a second job during down times and wait for it to get busy again. Usta run a seven year cycle, the latest recession changed that, though, and I don't know if it still cyclical or what the duration will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: