Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 12:46 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times

Advertisements

Water in South Hawaii Yikes, you want to get really scared, read all the diseases in the PDF that catchment water can provide.......literally too many to list in a post.

"The state considers the use of catchment water to be the personal responsibility of the homeowner and states clearly that it does not consider catchment water to be potable (drinkable).

In Hawai‘i, there are no government agencies overseeing the safety of your catchment system.

Some problems may take years to show up, and then it is too late"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 02:16 PM

252 posts, read 659,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.vick View Post

Oh ... Is Hawaiian Shores Rec in l.
Yes Beaches, Shores, Shores Rec, are all in Lava Zone 2. Most of Nanawale lava zone 2 (small portion 1), Lelani lave zone 1.

Anialoa, HHP lave zone 1 I believe.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:33 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Water in South Hawaii Yikes, you want to get really scared, read all the diseases in the PDF that catchment water can provide.......literally too many to list in a post.

"The state considers the use of catchment water to be the personal responsibility of the homeowner and states clearly that it does not consider catchment water to be potable (drinkable).

In Hawai‘i, there are no government agencies overseeing the safety of your catchment system.

It was much worse when lead flashing was used on all the roof valleys and ridges. But, I don't believe anyone was ever short part of an ear because of it.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:28 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
whtviper1 - I think you are right on because one of the 1st questions every nurse/doctor in every clinic, emergency room, etc. here will ask a patient on the Big Island is, "Are you on catchment water?"
Mine is triple filtered (one of which is a carbon filter), plus UV, plus I have a pool floaty thing in the tank with chlorine tabs in it. I test it every few months and still wouldn't drink it. Way too many variables.
I agree with you on this to, that all the google searches with cut'n'paste responses in the world won't prove to me that it is safer than the municipal supply. I actually find that irresponsible.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:38 PM

252 posts, read 659,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1freespirit View Post
Yes Beaches, Shores, Shores Rec, are all in Lava Zone 2. Most of Nanawale lava zone 2 (small portion 1), Lelani lave zone 1.

Ainaloa, HHP lava zone 1 I believe.
I meant Ainaloa, HHP lava zone 3 not 1

Old 09-01-2014, 06:17 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
OK, now THIS is funny!

I have posted authoritative material from the EPA, from the Honolulu Board of Water Supply, from the Hawai'i Board of Health, from CTAHR, from the Hawai'i County Water Supply... and your big rebuttal to all that is an opinion piece written in 2005 by Andrea Lee Peace, a Realtor from Kailua-Kona, who is obviously not personally experienced with rainwater harvesting and who is clearly not a fan, containing broken links that are years out of date, and a restatement/misquote from the CTAHR manual.

I was also somewhat amused by her breathless mention of the county emergency water spigots, further on down the page...

Quote:
Peace said
Some people buy bottled water for drinking, and others go to one of several public county water spigots and haul their water home in large containers.

Public "Emergency" water spigots like this one are available in Waiohinu and at the Hookena Beach turn off on Highway 11. The distance between these two facilities is about 32 miles!! The water at these "watering holes" is treated and specified as safe for consumption.
She makes the same mistake you do, of thinking the "treatment" at these County spigots must be something special, when that treatment, the same as it is at all County spigots... where people line up to fill up their water jugs every day... is really just a sediment filter and addition of chlorine. And that bottled water in the 5 gallon jugs comes from the exact same kind of source. What, you were expecting lab technicians in white smocks utilizing NASA technology?

Quote:
Whtviper1 said
Yikes, you want to get really scared, read all the diseases in the PDF that catchment water can provide.......literally too many to list in a post.
Oooga booga, scary scary. Sure, it contains a list of all the possible hazards from untreated catchment water. The manual is an encyclopedic reference, meant to be complete, and so it puts everything remotely or theoretically possible out there, including rat lungworm... with the note that it can be caught from unclean, unwashed vegetables, but "As of this writing, human infections have not been linked to drinking water"... as well as e coli, with the notation that "getting this disease via your water system is unlikely."

Quote:
Peace said
That's a misquote/restatement that largely misses the point of the actual obligatory "CYA" statement which actually was made in the intro to the CTAHR Rainwater Catchment Manual, which I accurately quote as follows... (emphasis added)

Quote:
Disclaimer: The views and recommendations contained in this document are the views and recommendations of the author, not of the Hawai‘i Department of Health. Because many variables affect the quality of water generated by a rainwater catchment system, the Hawai‘i Department of Health does not endorse the concept that water of drinking-water quality may be achieved or maintained in all instances through compliance with the recommendations contained in this document.

www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/rm-12.pdf
In other words, the State doesn't guarantee anything... as if that were news.

Let me add, I don't consider is wise to consume untreated rainwater, and I would never advocate doing that. But the issue to be concerned with here, to be clear, is not the rainwater itself, which is purer than any groundwater can be, but the catchment system itself, which can get contaminated in various ways... all of which can be handled by proper home treatment.

Quote:
In Puna, many residents don't see this as a problem, but as a benefit.

Quote:
This primarily refers to lead poisoning from old style roofs, rare today, which education and regular testing can eliminate.

In any case, yes, those are both true statements, which Andrea cherry picked out of a whole page of material, the purpose of which material is to encourage people to pay attention to the proper management of their rainwater harvesting system. In other words...
Take this seriously. Plan your rainwater system well and maintain it properly!
If you do, the reward is water for your household that is better quality than any typical American "city water" system can possibly deliver.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:03 PM

Ok. I'm on board!!! Been trying to find a Doctor in Hawaii who recommends catchment water as my new lifestyle choice. I'll keep looking. I feel so much healthier already. Rain from the sky!! Yay!! Of course I can treat it better than people who spend their careers treating water supplies. Yum!

Treated city water - another mainland conspiracy!

Maybe HMSA can give a special discount to us who drink this rain from the sky and treated by individuals?

I'm even going to jump on the bandwagon - it doesn't rain a lot in Hilo (uh oh - there goes my tasty water) - and the frogs aren't loud!

Last edited by whtviper1; 09-01-2014 at 07:19 PM..

Old 09-01-2014, 07:13 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Quote:
Ok. I'm on board!!! Been trying to find a Doctor in Hawaii who recommends catchment water as my new lifestyle choice. I'll keep looking. I feel so much healthier already. Rain from the sky!! Yay!! Of course I can treat it better than people who spend their careers treating water supplies. Yum!

Treated city water - another mainland conspiracy!

Maybe HMSA can give a special discount to us who drink this rain from the sky and treated by individuals?
This is cracking me up !

Old 09-01-2014, 08:51 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
whtviper1 - I think you are right on because one of the 1st questions every nurse/doctor in every clinic, emergency room, etc. here will ask a patient on the Big Island is, "Are you on catchment water?"
There's a simple but dumb reason for that, and it's because there are still a lot of people who live alternative lifestyles in Puna and Ka'u who simply don't treat their harvested rainwater at all, due to poverty or ignorance or both. People who live off the grid in lean-tos or old schoolbuses and just set up a Doughboy swimming pool for water and dig a pit for sewage can definitely expect challenges to their health as a result of their poor practices. The point of my posts, however, and indeed the purpose for the CTAHR manual, is to highlight the fact that normal people, managing their systems properly, can be perfectly healthy on rainwater catchment systems. There is nothing to fear, and much to be gained from the absence of groundwater pollutants.

Quote:
Mine is triple filtered (one of which is a carbon filter), plus UV, plus I have a pool floaty thing in the tank with chlorine tabs in it. I test it every few months and still wouldn't drink it. Way too many variables
Boy, if I were you, I'd sure stay away from flying in airplanes then... there are not only lots and lots of variables, but you have absolutely no control over any of them. Whoooeee. Scary! And good Godamighty, don't ever think about eating oysters!

Quote:
I agree with you on this to, that all the google searches with cut'n'paste responses in the world won't prove to me that it is safer than the municipal supply. I actually find that irresponsible.
Au contraire. Stating provable facts to foster better understanding is not irresponsible. What IS truly irresponsible is casting shade on perfectly good homes for no good reason just because they have rainwater catchment systems. For example, there's absolutely nothing wrong with those houses Hotzcatz mentioned in Volcano Golf & Country Club Estates, and much to recommend them. They're even eligible for VA loans now. That wouldn't have happened if there was a problem with their catchment systems for domestic water supply.

Last edited by OpenD; 09-01-2014 at 09:11 PM..

Old 09-01-2014, 09:17 PM

I was wondering, is there high speed internet in Puna or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island