Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 09:03 PM

13 posts, read 23,926 times

Advertisements

What are the rules relating to all the political signs that are still in the hilo area?
Do they get fined if not taken down?
What steps can we take to have them removed ?
I'm sure everyone is sick of looking at them !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 09:10 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linrobark View Post
What are the rules relating to all the political signs that are still in the hilo area?
Do they get fined if not taken down?
What steps can we take to have them removed ?
I'm sure everyone is sick of looking at them !
The election is not until November.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:34 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,602,126 times
I think the OP is referring to all the losers, who need to take their signs down.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:33 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,920,198 times
Call up the candidates and ask them what their stance is on litter, and when they are done with their spiel, remind them that their derelict signs are littering the island, and ask them what kind of message they are sending when they say one thing but do another.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:24 PM

575 posts, read 1,199,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Call up the candidates and ask them what their stance is on litter, and when they are done with their spiel, remind them that their derelict signs are littering the island, and ask them what kind of message they are sending when they say one thing but do another.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:23 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,347,365 times
I'm sure they're biodegradable. After all, there's not ONE thing in this universe that is permanent. What's the big deal? So it rots and decays in a land fill instead of on a dead tree w/ electrical wires on it. You tell me what's the difference?

I have a different take on this "litter" thing. The idea that someone w/ a gun can write you a ticket, or haul you before a judge and jail for throwing a candy bar wrapper on the ground, is absolutely insane. What someone calls litter, I may call adding a temporary splash of color to an otherwise drab area. But then I'm nearly always ahead of the curve, while most people don't use their brains for much besides growing hair.

It's a good time to remember something John Lennon once said. "Our society is run by insane people, for insane objectives". I do not honor those people, or their objectives. It's immensely important, especially in these times, to become the most dangerous thing on earth, that which all governments fear.... an individual that actually can think things out for themselves.

Last edited by smarino; 09-19-2014 at 11:38 AM..

Old 09-19-2014, 11:45 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,684,024 times
Your "temporary splash of color" will NOT biodegrade in your lifetime, or maybe even your kids' lifetime. Litter thrown by the side of the road is not only an eyesore, but can be hazardous to animals and contaminate the ground. I'm part of a volunteer organization that picks up trash along the highway, and we find a lot of soda cans (yeah, they biodegrade REAL quickly), broken glass, cigarette butts, and even large items like tires and a TV.

So, smarino, I hope that you don't drive mile marker 54 to 58 in Ka'u and feel like adding "color" to the scenery!

Old 09-19-2014, 01:32 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,464,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
I have a different take on this "litter" thing. The idea that someone w/ a gun can write you a ticket, or haul you before a judge and jail for throwing a candy bar wrapper on the ground, is absolutely insane.
When have you ever heard of that actually happening? Arlo Guthrie famously got busted for unloading a van load of garbage in a forbidden place, and wrote a hit song about it in 1967, but an actual arrest and an actual court appearance for an actual candy wrapper? I don't think so. And going there in your mind just pollutes your thinking.

Quote:
What someone calls litter, I may call adding a temporary splash of color to an otherwise drab area.
And what you call a temporary splash of color, I call fouling our shared environment. Ours, not yours. Littering is pure irresponsibility in action, in essence saying "Disposing this waste appropriately is my responsibility, but I'm going to shrug it off for someone else to have to deal with."

Quote:
But then I'm nearly always ahead of the curve, while most people don't use their brains for much besides growing hair.
While you're busy preening in the mirror, you might use that pompadour for something meaningful and consider the consequences if everyone shared your philosophy. We'd be deep in refuse, everywhere. Why waste all that energy walking all the way over to a garbage can or bin when you can just plop your junk down right wherever you are? Old tires, broken TVs, dead dogs, heck, they're just contributing a splash of something-or-other on an otherwise drab endless garbage dump.

Quote:
It's a good time to remember something John Lennon once said. "Our society is run by insane people, for insane objectives". I do not honor those people, or their objectives. It's immensely important, especially in these times, to become the most dangerous thing on earth, that which all governments fear.... an individual that actually can think things out for themselves.
Taking people's quotes out of context is unusually dangerous, and in this case you've veered off a high cliff. John Lennon was a lifelong opponent to various kinds of pollution, and littering is one highly visible form of pollution. Various environmental cleanups are still being held in his name, including a big anti-littering campaign in Liverpool.

Sorry, I'm afraid you really didn't think this out well at all.

Last edited by OpenD; 09-19-2014 at 01:47 PM..

Old 09-19-2014, 08:45 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,818,921 times
Quote:
What someone calls litter, I may call adding a temporary splash of color to an otherwise drab area. But then I'm nearly always ahead of the curve, while most people don't use their brains for much besides growing hair.
You can't be serious. However if you are, please post your address so we all know where to go dump our color.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:18 PM

189 posts, read 261,197 times
Quote:
What someone calls litter, I may call adding a temporary splash of color to an otherwise drab area. But then I'm nearly always ahead of the curve, while most people don't use their brains for much besides growing hair.
Clearly your brain is in vacation. This must be one of the most ignorant posts i have seen in a very long time. Congrats for being ahead of the curve but just to be safe check to see if you are still on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island