Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 01:05 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering how many folks here are going to be or have already been affected by the new direction of the Pu'u O'o lava flow? At the moment it looks like the lava could be reaching Pahoa town in possibly several weeks.

Has anyone moved out of Puna because of it?

Has anyone changed their choice of where to move because of it?

Has anyone changed their choice of where to vacation because of it? Chose to vacation there or chose somewhere else to vacation because of it?

A friend and I went to lunch there yesterday just to get lunch at her favorite fish place before it closed or relocated due to encroaching lava. The lava threat is still possibly several weeks away, but she wanted to have at least have one more lunch there while it was still open. It was really good fish and chips, too, I do hope if they have to move they reopen somewhere else.

I'm not sure what most of the folks in that area are gonna do. Many of them don't have deep resources which is why they are in a Lava Zone 1 or 2 in the first place, I'd expect. If they've bought a place there which is going to be affected by the lava, it is quite likely that they've used up enough of their resources that they can't realistically rent somewhere else outside of the lava's path and still afford their existing mortgage. Yet, they can't stay there, so what will they do?

There are also the people who are going to lose easy access between Hilo and their homes in lower Puna. Hilo is the source for many of their jobs and much of their supplies. If the lava goes between Pu'u O'o and the ocean, that pretty much leaves a two and a half hour detour to get to Hilo from lower Puna. Will they stay in lower Puna if they have a two and a half hour commute to their job? Would they even stay if the two and a half hour commute is to their supplies? There aren't any real towns on the other side of the projected lava flow once is goes across the only highway in and out of the area. There aren't that many other routes, either. And the lava is expected to cross the other two routes fairly soon after it takes out the highway, too.

Does this affect anyone here? Has anyone changed their moving to Hawaii plans?

Last edited by hotzcatz; 09-17-2014 at 01:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 01:48 PM

268 posts, read 383,666 times
I don't live there (yet) but have been looking at houses/property all over the east side. My interest has been primarily in the mid/lower Puna area because the environment/climate and real estate cost is in line with what I like and can swing. If I'm honest, recent ongoing events have me rethinking those areas. Of course there is risk everywhere (earthquakes recently in my area of California), and when you live on active volcanoes you have to manage those risks as best you can. The biggest issue for me is that I work from home and need fast, reliable internet and phone service. If I don't have those I don't work and don't have a job. I also occasionally travel for work so If I was cut off from the airport I would have issues.

So I will continue to keep an eye on things, keep Puna as a possibility but also look more in the areas north of Hilo, possibly including Waimea. As everyone is aware those are more costly options and if I decide I need to go that route will need to adjust my financial preparations prior to moving.

I did have a conversation with my boss yesterday and she was supportive of my moving there. So technically I could do it anytime, however I really need to get my "ducks" in a row first.

So a long winded answer to your question. The short version: I still plan on moving to the BI, just may adjust my plans on where I would live.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:48 PM

575 posts, read 1,199,455 times
Wife and I will arrive Dec 31 for a two month visit so the outcome will (should) be known by then. Staying in the Naalehu area again as in 2011 so don't think we'll have any lava issues. However, would like to spend some time in Puna district. When I was on the BI last year for a one month hiking/camping trip I did spend two nights in a neat airbnb house/cabin between Kalapana and Kehena Beach. Was hoping to take my wife there for a brief stay. I guess we'll just wait and see what happens.

I sure hope and pray the occupied areas are spared. In my part of the world we're subjected to floods and tornadoes...I think it would be easier to rebuild from these than recovering from lava!

Old 09-17-2014, 09:37 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
Sounds like a good plan, 67Cam. Moving to the Big Island with a job that pays a mainland salary is always a good thing. I'm not sure how the lava would affect internet and phone services. In any case, you'd probably want to rent in the area first so you'd find out how well you like working long distance as well as how much you like the specific areas.

Recovering from lava frequently means everyone moves away and starts somewhere else. There is usually quite a long period of time between when the lava arrives and when it stops it's activity in an area. So, during that time, nobody wants to build any infrastructure and folks lose their connection to the area.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:06 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cam View Post
My interest has been primarily in the mid/lower Puna area because the environment/climate and real estate cost is in line with what I like and can swing. If I'm honest, recent ongoing events have me rethinking those areas.
So I will continue to keep an eye on things, keep Puna as a possibility but also look more in the areas north of Hilo, possibly including Waimea.
Well, don't forget to look at Upper Puna, and the small communities along Highway 11. They're pretty much all in Lava Zone 3, rather than the Zones 1 & 2 of lower Puna, have easy access to Hilo, and tend to be less expensive then the Northern coast.

Quote:
Zone 3 - Areas less hazardous than zone 2 because of greater distance from recently active vents and (or) because of topography. 1-5% of zone 3 has been covered since 1800, and 15-75% has been covered within the past 750 years.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Well, don't forget to look at Upper Puna, and the small communities along Highway 11. They're pretty much all in Lava Zone 3, rather than the Zones 1 & 2 of lower Puna, have easy access to Hilo, and tend to be less expensive then the Northern coast.
I've absolutely been looking in Volcano (they - you - have a golf course!), Kurtistown, Mountain View, Keaau, and all the other places off the 11. House on a golf course sounds pretty nice, although the lots are smaller. From my research that elevation may be a little cooler than I'd like, I would definitely spend some time there as part of my rental rotation plan.

I use the map function on the Clark real estate site. You zoom into specific areas and filter by $ and other criteria to see all the active listings. Zillow is good to see all the sold listings for the last 3 years. I spend waaaayyyy too much time doing that!

I do have one question: there is an area just south of Hilo, on the right side of 11 as your going into town, that never has any houses listed for sale and no (nada, zip, zero, zilch) history of sold listings. It's the area around Nani Mau Gardens. What's that about?

Old 09-18-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Sounds like a good plan, 67Cam. Moving to the Big Island with a job that pays a mainland salary is always a good thing. I'm not sure how the lava would affect internet and phone services. In any case, you'd probably want to rent in the area first so you'd find out how well you like working long distance as well as how much you like the specific areas.

Recovering from lava frequently means everyone moves away and starts somewhere else. There is usually quite a long period of time between when the lava arrives and when it stops it's activity in an area. So, during that time, nobody wants to build any infrastructure and folks lose their connection to the area.
Thanks Hotcatz - renting for several months is part of the plan. Because of advice from you, OpenD and many others I've learned a lot of what to do and what not to do. I started my Golden Rules of Relocating to the Big Island to keep track. You may have seen these on Punaweb where I first posted them, under the name HI_Someday (had to come up with some name on the fly when I registered and BI_Someday just had some innuendo that isn't accurate!). Here they are again:

GRRBI:

1) Rent before you buy. Try several areas over the course of a few months.
2) The BI is unlike any other place on the earth. Be open to it, go with the flow or be prepared for a hasty exit. Or at least suspension from forums when you act like a mainland jacka** :-)
3) Do not, under any circumstances, say to someone "well, this is the way we do it back in....(mainland location here)". Just don't do it. Keep your pie hole shut.
4) The cost of living is much higher than most other places.
5) Full time jobs with benefits are like the Nene: they may exist but are rare and your not likely to get near one anytime soon!

Old 09-18-2014, 01:36 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
Quote:
I do have one question: there is an area just south of Hilo, on the right side of 11 as your going into town, that never has any houses listed for sale and no (nada, zip, zero, zilch) history of sold listings. It's the area around Nani Mau Gardens. What's that about?
I don't know, old family properties I think, but the 53 acres that make up Nani Mau gardens have a colorful history... here's an article from a couple of years ago... Nani Mau Gardens sold | Hawaii Tribune-Herald

Old 09-18-2014, 08:46 AM

47 posts, read 69,842 times
We're coming in a couple of weeks to wrestle with the albizias (remember those?) on our lot in HPP, which is paid for and awaiting our improvements. Although we are heartbroken by what may happen in Pahoa and lower Puna, we still have intention to put a small dwelling on our lot. (Taking another hard look at a yurt...totally moveable in the event of a lava flow and they did well in the hurricane!). I imagine the lot, worth far less than we paid for it is probably now worth next to nothing with the recent lava activity so nearby. So the real value of it rather than monetary is a place to homestead and hopefully leave for our kids.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:44 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times
Quote:
That's Panaʻewa, which is under the jurisdiction of the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands.
Department of Hawaiian Home Lands - Ag Subdivision Guide Table
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island