Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 12:42 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Wheres Jonah K when you need him lol. He has a bamboo ohana house. Hes the one to talkstory wit Drkahealani.
What, you mean this one? It's not bamboo, and he said it was assembled from a kit.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/36340546-post12.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 01:08 PM

268 posts, read 383,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Use the term "house package" if you don't like the word "kit." In fact they are a set of plans and a fulfilled bill of materials to build the plans with. In other words, they are primarily a lumber package. Careful attention needs to be paid to what they include vs. what they don't. For the most part they are what is needed to build the shell of the house, not including plumbing or electric or fixture or finish or the slab if you are building that way. Also doesn't include permits and inspections. Or site prep. Or nails.

House kits have been popular since the 1920s, when people used to order them from the Sears, Roebuck catalog. If you supply your own labor to construct them they can be a tremendous cash saver. Even if you have them professionally built they can yield a 25% savings on the required materials, and the plans are professional grade.

Funny thing is that the total cost of having a house built from a kit in the 1920s was about 2.75X the kit cost, and that ratio has remained fairly consistent through the years. But to provide a safety margin for budgeting purposes, many use 3X as their costing factor.

So for example having a 672 sq ft 1 BR, 1 BA kit from Argus built for you, that costs $17,800 for the kit in post & pier configuration might be budgeted at $48,950 to $53,400 finished, or $72.84 to $79.46 per sq ft. That's cheap by island standards. And it will take about a month to build the shell - plus any delays for building inspections, etc.

HPM, Honsador and Argus all have a wide variety of plans, which can be customized for you... at extra cost, of course.

There are other kit homes available that are shipped in from other locations, such as cedar homes from the PNW, that are generally more luxurious and costly, and the bamboo homes from Southeast Asia, which are prefabricated there, then disassembled down to panel units for shipment. One advantage they have is faster assembly on site... just a few days assembly for experienced workers after perhaps a 2 month wait for construction and shipping once the order is placed.

Yurts, to close the circle, are a bit less expensive, and are also very quick to build on site. A basic 27' yurt, 572 sq ft, starts at $9,245, not including the deck it will go on, and loaded up with lots of deluxe features and shipping might run $16,450. The deck might take 2 people maybe 4 or 5 days to build, and the yurt 2 days to erect, so a week total to have a weathertight shell. And they have an advantage over the others in that if the lava heads in your direction you can disassemble your house and truck it away to a safer location.

Each style has advantages and disavantages, pros and cons, so it pays to take your time to consider each carefully, and get clear on all the details. Assume nothing.

There are also other discussions on the topic in the archives here, which you can pull up using the Search feature. Here's one... https://www.city-data.com/forum/big-i...kit-homes.html

And here's how to use Search... https://www.city-data.com/forum/36539518-post7.html

Yep. I've looked at most of the suppliers on the island. Some supply the materials to get just a shell built, others just about everything.

The one I have my eye on is from Honsador and is the Oneki 2 model. Nice plantation style. Love the wrap around Lanai. I've spoken with them and had some documents, such as what is/is not included, costs for each package, checklists, etc emailed as part of my research. In this instance they provide just about everything, except appliances, electrical/plumbing rough in. Cabinets, windows, lights, sinks, faucets, drywall, nails, etc... all part of the price.

They supply the plans and materials. Would need engineer stamp and permits. They advertise E. stamp for about $350... Of course they will mod the plans for me at an additional cost (they have in-house draftsmen) :-)

So I know the price for the package and have an idea of land cost and permits. When I spoke with them (really nice lady) she said they have a list of contractors they work with (but I can use anyone) and that their price per sq ft usually includes site prep, catchment and other misc things. But I haven't called on that yet as I know I'm a ways out from pulling the trigger and I imagine now is a crazy busy hectic time for everyone, so I just wanted to get a rough idea for now.

I think the $ per sq ft will end up being the determining factor to being able to go this route or buy pre-existing, which is why I'm itching to get more info.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:43 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
What, you mean this one? It's not bamboo, and he said it was assembled from a kit.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/36340546-post12.html
Wat ever know it all!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/36353193-post19.html

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 09-22-2014 at 03:06 PM..

Old 09-22-2014, 04:03 PM

13 posts, read 46,167 times
I looked at the packaged homes and don't like any of the models. I sketched my dream home: 1700 sq ft., 2 master bedrooms with master bath one with a walk-in closet, 1/2 guest bathroom, laundry, walk in pantry in kitchen, open floorplan, garage, lots of sliding doors. My guess is that it will cost me $150 per sq ft. or more. It will just take me longer to build and I'll just have to keep on renting.

I'm scrapping the idea of a small home and use the money for a larger home.

Does anyone know someone who can help draw up the plans?

I'm going to contact a lender to see how much I would qualify for.

Mahalo for your kokua. It helped me make my decision. i'm no longer confused about what to do. I just have to be patient.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:27 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkahealani View Post
Does anyone know someone who can help draw up the plans?
I'd start with Hotzcatz. She is a draftsperson, she's a straight shooter, and she is also highly knowledgeable about chickens and rabbits and other useful stuff.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:03 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
*blush* Thank you for the kind words, OpenD! Yup, I do drafting. Sometimes it is drafting for critters. I'd drawn goat barns, although not any for rabbits yet. The last set of plans was for a doctor's residence with a great ocean view. The next one will be a big photovoltaic array, haven't a clue about the view on that one since PV arrays don't need site inspections to see what goes where since the roofs usually already exist. Folks always want interesting things drawn up, it's one of the fun things of being a draftsperson.

As an owner builder in Hawaii, anyone can draw up their own plans as well. The current code is IBC 2006 as amended by Hawaii County so as long as the design meets code, it's all good.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:20 PM

4 posts, read 5,944 times
I agree. It doesn't have to be bamboo, right? Just plan out your budget, and stick to it. Some of the posts above have great suggestion, but I really dig the idea of the $6000 barn mentioned by cagary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island