Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2014, 06:24 PM

6 posts, read 12,378 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine living in Kauai recommends that island because of its lust green tropical and cool weather. Unfortunately there is limited inventory of houses. And their prices are too high for my budget. Thus now I am looking at the Big Island. From the initial research, BI has the lowest median housing cost. But it has an active volcano.

I don't know much else about this island. Thus I am hoping someone can give me a recommendation on a subdivision/region of BI that meet the following criteria.

1) Home price between $250K-$300K with an ocean view if such thing exists Safe neighborhood is very important since my mom takes daily walk. Single story house (3bed/2bath/newer built) is very important because my mom knees are weaker now.

2) Beautiful scenery to distract us from feeling secluded for being far away from families and friends.

3) Lust green tropical and plenty of rains so my mom can plant flowers and fruit trees.

4) Fresh and cool weather similar to the Bay Area (San Jose), California. High summer heat and humidity is bad for my mom health

5) Close proximity to town (no more than 30 minute drive) for shopping/dining. Having Costco nearby is a big plus. Because my mom is over 70 years old, having access to a decent hospital nearby is important.

6) Bustling and friendly community since we don't know anyone here.

7) Preferably in Flood Zone X where we don't have to worry about flooding

8) Far away from the active volcano as possible

9) Reliable Internet access for my work at home

10) Not a long drive (~ 30min) to a nice beach & popular touristy area.

If you have read this far, thank you in advance for your time and the recommendation. I do understand that I might not be able to get everything I am looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Due

245 posts, read 380,634 times
Best of luck with your search, but my opinion is what you want might not be possible: especially at the price range you've listed....Even on the Big Island.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:20 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
Sounds like Honokaa to me. You can still find houses in that price range.

Loads of scenery and you'll get new friends pretty soon, some will almost become family. Lots of soil for gardening with sun and enough rain to keep it all green. A little bit of irrigation for a week or two in the summer helps it along, though. Great weather, nice and cool during the summers and not too cold during the winters.

Honokaa is a town in it's own right but also has Waimea/Kamuela within about a fifteen minute drive. Friendly little town that has a touch of liveliness without too much bustling around.

No volcanoes here, haven't a clue about Flood Zone X, but whatever zone that is, we don't have it here. I keep hearing rumors of town wide internet, then you'd be able to work from anywhere in town.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Due

245 posts, read 380,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Sounds like Honokaa to me. You can still find houses in that price range.

Loads of scenery and you'll get new friends pretty soon, some will almost become family. Lots of soil for gardening with sun and enough rain to keep it all green. A little bit of irrigation for a week or two in the summer helps it along, though. Great weather, nice and cool during the summers and not too cold during the winters.

Honokaa is a town in it's own right but also has Waimea/Kamuela within about a fifteen minute drive. Friendly little town that has a touch of liveliness without too much bustling around.

No volcanoes here, haven't a clue about Flood Zone X, but whatever zone that is, we don't have it here. I keep hearing rumors of town wide internet, then you'd be able to work from anywhere in town.

Thanks HC: I stand corrected
Due

Old 10-06-2014, 11:51 AM

189 posts, read 261,197 times
Honokaa is flood zone x. I suspect it may have other flood zones next to rivers and streams but it should be mainly x across the map.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:39 PM

17 posts, read 41,825 times
I have to agree with Honoka'a. I am a real estate agent on the island and Honoka'a will met more of your "wants" than another other place on the island. If your mom has health issues, I always recommend that you make contact with your insurance company and make sure that she can get the care she needs here on the island. I know from experience, when relocating, not all insurance companies have presence on the island. When I moved to the Big Island I needed an optometrist and my insurance company didn't have a single optometrist in their network, on the island. I finally got the issue resolved but not without a lot of work.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:12 AM

8 posts, read 14,293 times
Yes, Honok'a would be good. It is not as big as Hilo but cooler.
Laura

Old 10-08-2014, 12:15 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,464,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurarice View Post
Yes, Honok'a would be good. It is not as big as Hilo but cooler.
Yeah, Honoka'a was listed as Pop. 2,258 at the 2010 census, Hilo at 42,263, so Honoka'a is definitely smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island