Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:37 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Despite the fact that most in Hawaii just want things not to change and want to maintain the simple, aloha lifestyles they known growing up.
That is not true - and you haven't even been in Hawaii in 40 years. You are stuck in some sort of time warp just because you are getting old. People in their teens, 20's 30's, 40's, early 50's can't even relate to anything you are saying of this simple, aloha lifestyle - they don't even know what that is. They didn't live it.

Whenever a store or restaurant that was only available on the mainland opens in Hawaii - it is a massive feeding frenzy - practically a mob scene. People in Hawaii love change and opportunity - and aren't stuck in the status quo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 01:11 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
When you talk about "what people want" consider this -- there are people who grew up in Hilo who never drove over to Kona (other side of the island) UNTIL Costco and Target opened in Kona. The Target store opening was the biggest social event in years, maybe decades. I think the people have spoken!
I'm no luddite, or whatever the equivalent would be in terms of retailing. I think the march to big-box (over 50K sq feet) and mid-box (generally 40 - 70 K) stores which offer minimal service in a predominantly help-yourself mode had to come, in the same way that internet shopping had to come, given the social changes and economic pressures consumers were facing. Toppling the predominant department store model required offering lower prices to draw the customers in, at the expense of lowering service standards, merchandise standards, and staffing levels. And so shopping became a rougher sport, with fewer and lower quality staff to assist, and available level of assistance plummeting.

To be specific, my quarrel is almost entirely with Walmart, because they're proven to be such a horrible "community citizen," and so destructive to small town economies around the country. Shop anywhere else, please. There are choices.

And of course the Costco and Target stores opened in Kona, because the demographics supported them there. There's far more disposable money per capita on the Kona side, that's simple. They also offer better quality merchandise than Walmart, a better fit for Kona lifestyles. So they opened there, and let business from the east side of the island make the drive if they wanted it. So Kona became THE shopping destination for the island, and as a result developed more small independent businesses, which further reinforced Kona's retail strength and diversity, as contrasted with the cheaper options in Hilo.

Ironically, what the U of H study that Jonah shared showed clearly is that the current situation is that there are lines of business that are underserved in Hilo which could be opportunities for entrepreneurs to open new businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
So you think the only things that people buy at the big box stores are things they don't really want? What about the fact that instead of going to the local store and paying $10 for an item, they can go to Target and buy the exact same thing for $7?
Things are starting to change a little, as the economy has rebounded somewhat and a lot of people are tired of being in survival mode and want something a little nicer and are willing to pay a little more to get it... say $8 in your example. or they want a treat, so maybe they'll spend $11 or $12 on a splurge. Both Starbucks and gourmet ice cream stores are examples of winners on that front.

And that's why I think there is finally some room for small specialty stores to make a bit of a comeback. And in fact, that is an emerging trend around the country, as fading big-box stores are closed in droves, for smaller, local businesses to step up to the plate in their place.

Wouldn't that be nice?

Old 10-23-2014, 01:31 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,759,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
That is not true - and you haven't even been in Hawaii in 40 years. You are stuck in some sort of time warp just because you are getting old. People in their teens, 20's 30's, 40's, early 50's can't even relate to anything you are saying of this simple, aloha lifestyle - they don't even know what that is. They didn't live it.

Whenever a store or restaurant that was only available on the mainland opens in Hawaii - it is a massive feeding frenzy - practically a mob scene. People in Hawaii love change and opportunity - and aren't stuck in the status quo.
Prove it? Got stats? I have stats that say Hawaii residents feel that development is moving to fast and nor properly planned. I got articles that Government is not working for them . Too many times government stopped listening to their concern of people in the communities. I have studies and stats about how people are concerned about rising cost of living, traffic, bad infrastructures in Hawaii .

You? Timewarp?

Old 10-23-2014, 01:57 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
As I have shown before - home ownership has steadily risen every decade in Hawaii since the 50's.

Regardless - you lost the point, people in their teens, 20's 30's, 40's, early 50's can't even relate to anything you are saying of this simple, aloha lifestyle - they don't even know what that is. They didn't live it.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:51 PM

@whtviper1

I disagree im in my mid 40s ok, ive lived part of it, Anyone before late 1980s in oahu lived part of it. I was fortunate my generation in oahu got the tail end of old local Hawaii, that time in transition between old and new. Where construction cranes were called the new Hawaii state bird but we still had simple things and local things and laidback attitudes. Today people in the big island, kauai, know what that old simple aloha lifestyle is.

As for the rising homeownership. The population is twice it was back then and as the cost of living rises alot people are being pushed out for richer people from the mainland and other areas of the world. This explains the more homeowners because you have a far richer Hawaii today then 40 or more years ago.

Further i also believe people lived more simpler lives back then with different values as people today. Life wasn't so much about money and material as just enjoying being and experiencing life. Its very difficult to understand or experience what im

Old 10-23-2014, 02:53 PM

^^^^^

constantly clamouring for this or that or the next big thing. Thats the point.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:55 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
People in their teens, 20's 30's, 40's, early 50's can't even relate to anything you are saying of this simple, aloha lifestyle - they don't even know what that is. They didn't live it.

I agree. The so-called "simple, aloha lifestyle" that some folks lived 30 or 40 years ago is pretty much long-gone. While it's fine to occasionally reminisce about how things "used to be" and take a trip down "memory lane" -- Hawaiʻi didn't remain stuck in some sort of romanticized time warp. Like it or not, "memory lane" was "widened and paved over." However, it is the duty of folks that live in and care about Hawaiʻi to have their voices heard in how "memory lane" is developed.

As for embracing change, opportunity, technology, and progress, let's not forget that ʻIolani Palace had electricity and telephones years before the White House did.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:04 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,515,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
....As for embracing change, opportunity, technology, and progress, let's not forget that ʻIolani Palace had electricity and telephones years before the White House did.
Good point, indeed. Real Hawaiians didn't try to stop progress - they embraced it as early adopters.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:09 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,575,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post

As for embracing change, opportunity, technology, and progress, let's not forget that ʻIolani Palace had electricity and telephones years before the White House did.
And Lahaina had the first High School and printing press west of the Rockies. I found one of Ka Lama Hawaii's original ads from 1840 at the Smithsonian website.

I don't know about HBH, some things NEVER change
Attached Thumbnails
Sam's Club on BI-spam-recipe.jpg  

Old 10-23-2014, 03:16 PM

@Jonah K, mdand3boys

While it's fine to occasionally reminisce about how things "used to be" Reminisce? Sorry lived it, my ohana lived it. Theres nothing made up about it.

And still they spoke olelo hawai'ian and praticed the hula in everyday life. And had alot of Hawaiian values in culture. Today not so much eh? Even local culture going bye bye. No living side by side with others cultures or beliefs, unless it benefits our goals. Total assimulation. No balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island