Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2014, 10:51 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times

Advertisements

HPM and Honsador (local building supply stores) seem to be doing just fine with Home Depot located just down the street?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 10:58 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I agree - it is depressing to go to Hilo.

But, soaring population?????

41,000 in 2000 to 43,000 in 2010 is hardly - soaring.
I specifically referenced 1990, when Hilo was 37,804 population vs today it's about 45,000, that's 16% right there, plus the population growth of Puna has far exceeded that of Hilo proper. And apparently everyone in Puna shops at Walmart, by the looks of things on a Saturday afternoon.

Maybe soaring was too strong a word, but the population growth has been strong, allowing well funded mainland corps with deep pockets to backfill other businesses into DHHL properties, sucking corporate profits out of the community and raising the ante beyond local proprietors' ability to compete.

I can see how those rents benefit the Homelands operations, and I wish them only well with that, but it did effectively gut the value of much of the other commercial property in the town.

Last edited by OpenD; 10-19-2014 at 11:39 PM..

Old 10-19-2014, 11:01 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I specifically referenced 1990, when Hilo was 37,804 population vs today it's about 45,000, that's 16% right there, plus the population growth of Puna has far exceeded that of Hilo proper. And apparently everyone in Puna shops at Walmart, by the looks of things on a Saturday afternoon.

Maybe soaring was too strong a word, but the population growth has been strong, allowing well funded mainland corps with deep pockets to backfill other businesses into DHHL properties, sucking corporate profits out of the community and raising the ante beyond local proprietors' ability to compete.

I can see how those rents benefit the Homelands operations, and I wish them only well with that, but it does effectively gut the value of much of the other commercial property in the town.
It has actually raised commercial rents in Hilo. Have you actually tried to rent space? I have. It certainly isn't cheap, anywhere, no matter how bad the shape of the building.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
HPM and Honsador (local building supply stores) seem to be doing just fine with Home Depot located just down the street?
Just fine? Ever been in HPM on a weekend, when Home Depot is knee deep in customers and the lines are long at the registers? Kinda snoozy, in my experience. HPM is not getting much of the DIYer business any more, but instead are hanging on by specializing in professional tools and tool rentals, contractor accounts and working long standing relationships, by offering design services and custom millwork and manufacturing, like the custom roofing they make in Hilo, whereas Home Depot has to order roofing material from the mainland.

HPM President Michael Fujimoto was successful in making the transition to competing with big box corporate business because he began planning for it before Walmart opened the floodgates, studying what his company's strengths and weakness were, and looking for ways to build the company in areas where they were most competitive and would not go head to head on specific items, as well as joining a national buyers co-op in order to secure better prices on merchandise.

And that is the pattern of all the pre-Walmart small businesses that made it through to today... like Paradise Plants and Hirano's Stationers Corp... they were smart enough to make changes to their businesses before the "Walmart Effect" hit them, like Paradise plants dropping product lines and vendors which were carried by Walmart, and concentrating on what they had exclusively... and they each had the courage and the money to stick it out through a major disruption of the local market... and they each sought out the advice and support of the SBA and the local business owner's association... and they had the tenacity and strength to hang on for enough years that things could stabilize again in the new community market configuration... and they kept high service levels and personal relationships in sharp focus.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
It has actually raised commercial rents in Hilo.
Today, perhaps, but I'm talking about the late 90's after Walmart showed up. The rising population is apparently refloating those old boats now, but there was a long time when most of those properties were simply vacant and unwanted.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:41 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Today, perhaps, but I'm talking about the late 90's
So - 15 years ago - what does that have to do with 2014?

Old 10-19-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
So - 15 years ago - what does that have to do with 2014?
The same as it did before... it's about mainland corporations displacing locally owned small businesses and altering the culture and character of an entire small town... and not for the better.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
The same as it did before... it's about mainland corporations displacing locally owned small businesses and altering the culture and character of an entire small town... and not for the better.
Well - since it happen in the 90s, I'd suggest it is time to move on. Sometimes you have to let things go and this seems to be a good example. It is - what it is.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:56 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:
And they won't end intill they have every island and town. Thats what ive been saying. Theres no compromise or middle ground. 1 billion is to much money but 100 billion is never enough. Assimilate or be conquered. 100 years ago to now no difference, same spirit of intent. Call me a radical or whatever. The truth is the truth.

Im also glad uncle you know and see this issue well, most are sleepwalking.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
I specifically referenced 1990, when Hilo was 37,804 population vs today it's about 45,000, that's 16% right there
I hate to break it to you - but 16% population growth since 1990 lags the state by quite a bit in that time period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island