Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 08:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
That's simple. It's in the original source you quoted. It's the part you left out.

Now again, presumably you pay taxes in Hawai'i, so WalMart's "corporate welfare takes money takes money out of your pocket rather than raising prices a percent or two so they could pay livable wages to ALL their employees. So why are you defending them? They're costing you money!
I didn't leave it out - you edited your post.

Anyway, looking at the numbers you provided, Walmart pay doesn't look bad at all - for Hawaii.

How is $14.50/hr. not a livable wage for high school educated or high school dropouts?

Raising prices won't help wages - they'll just keep the profit. If you want to raise the wages - people shouldn't accept the job to begin with, that is one way wages go up - or the state can mandate higher wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 10:06 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I didn't leave it out - you edited your post.
No. I wasn't talking about the Rolling Stone quote. You missed the point.

OK, here's the missing phrase from the official WalMart site: *For regular, full-time hourly associates in Walmart Discount Stores, Supercenters and Neighborhood Markets, as of August 11, 2014

In other words, not including all employees.

In other words, not including the 1/3 that are not full time employees. Why? Quite obviously because they would drag that average down so far that people wouldn't think they were good guys.

Quote:
Anyway, looking at the numbers you provided, Walmart pay doesn't look bad at all - for Hawaii.

How is $14.50/hr. not a livable wage for high school educated or high school dropouts?
If they had created new jobs at that rate, we wouldn't be having this conversation. But remember, all the studies show that for every two jobs Walmart offer, three jobs from local business get destroyed. So if they just paid the same... and all the studies show they don't, remember?* But setting that aside for a minute, two Walmart jobs totaling $29/hr does not bring the same benefit to the community as the $43.50/hr being paid before.

*Remember, the studies also show they lower average wages at other businesses in the area.

Lower wages and fewer jobs, just so they can charge lower prices to the customers. The overall economic harm to the community is quite real, which is why so many communities now are getting organized to keep WalMart out of town, or to cut back its size so that it doesn't complete wipe out independent local businesses.

Quote:
Raising prices won't help wages - they'll just keep the profit. If you want to raise the wages - people shouldn't accept the job to begin with, that is one way wages go up - or the state can mandate higher wages.
Exactly why the state should raise the minimum wage, yes. I agree. Desperate people take what they can get, but companies with social responsibility don't take advantage of their desperation.

And for those still in denial that WalMart does pay some entry level workers minimum wage, here's their CEO's announcement from Wednesday that sometime next year they plan to stop doing that.

Walmart Says It’s Phasing Out Minimum Wage Pay
Walmart eliminating minimum wage pay

Last edited by OpenD; 10-17-2014 at 10:20 PM..

Old 10-17-2014, 10:57 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,006,984 times
Quote:
In other words, not including the 1/3 that are not full time employees. Why? Quite obviously because they would drag that average down so far that people wouldn't think they were good guys.
The bolded portion is confusing because it’s based on Walmart’s version of full-time employee. Walmart classifies any employee who works 28 hours or more per week as 'full-time'. Because they don’t report based on the hour range, their 'full-time' employees include a majority that would otherwise be classified as part-time in just about every other industry and reporting method. It’s estimated that 70% of Walmart’s employees are technically part-time employees working under 30 hours per week by design. So although they may appear to have high hourly wages, they are artificially paid low wages because they are scheduled to around 28 – 30 hours only.

When the wage range is reported, it does not take into consideration that other industries report based on 35 -40 for full time while Walmart is 28 - 30. So the $14.50 per hour would equate to $580 a week at Safeway or any other company that classifies full time at 40 hours, but at Walmart it really is only about $406 based on the policy of limiting hours to 28.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:39 PM

Hmmmm, so Hilo has been "devastated" by Walmart. Interesting perspective.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:35 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Quote:
...You name it... appliances, clothing, linens, sporting goods, toys, books, housewares, toys, tvs, cameras, tools... there were specialty stores in Hilo which served those markets then, but which no longer exist because they could not compete with WalMart...
That's a real stretch.
Walmart, who doesn't sell books, displaced book stores in Hawaii?

Funny thing is, the Borders Book Store was built right after Walmart opened in Hilo, on the outlot site that the developer leased to them. Now Sports Authority has opened up next door, in Prince Kuhio Plaza. Safeway opened their giant mega-grocery store directly behind Hilo Walmart with KTA Superstore (grocery) and Foodland, next to each other, across the highway from Walmart. Always crowded too! Target opened up theirs, next door to Safeway. Home Depot across the street from Target! Ross who sells clothing and merchandise just like Walmart, is across the parking lot as well! Office MAX is next door to Ross and sells computers and office supplies, even though Walmart does too. Walmart has a large souvenir and T-shirt business in Hilo, but yet, Hilo Hatties is located across the street? There are dozens more not even mentioned! Look at all of the small food places nearby too! This has been great for Hilo!

But wait! How can all this be if Walmart kills off the competition like some people claim?

Even Walgreens, who competes HARD against Walmart for the prescription business, is in the former Borders building, basically sharing a parking lot with Walmart! Don't forget the Long's Drugs a block away across the street. They all seem to be doing great.

So Walmart opening in Hilo helped create additional stores and many, many jobs in may industries. By building the store on vacant, Hawaiian Home Lands and paying a huge annual lease payment, creating the market for additional goods to be sold, additional jobs at the ports have been created as well, additional truck drivers, mechanics for those trucks. Airlines, car rentals, hotels and restaurants for all those corporate people coming and going.

Those mom-and-pop stores were generally open 9-5 and the new stores are open double those hours, if not 24x7, creating the need for multiple, additional shifts of employees and managers - FAR more employees than were ever needed by the little stores that underpaid their 19 hour a week part-time employees. I bet the managers at all of these stores really like their big, corporate pay and perks too and that some of them are those poor, displaced shop owners who make more now than they ever did.

We can now get items, in Hilo, at reasonable prices, at more convenient hours that we simply couldn't get in the past! Walmart has actually boosted Hilo's prosperity! OMG, the horror? Walmart really isn't evil? Who shall we complain about instead?

Old 10-19-2014, 12:37 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
From what I've heard, it's not so good to work at Walmart. How many Walmart "associates" can support themselves only on the amount they make at Walmart? Do any of the "associates" have families being supported by their Walmart job? How many of them are on food stamps? How many of them are still living at home? A Walmart "full time" employee doesn't work enough to get health benefits from what I've heard.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
From what I've heard, it's not so good to work at Walmart. How many Walmart "associates" can support themselves only on the amount they make at Walmart? Do any of the "associates" have families being supported by their Walmart job? How many of them are on food stamps? How many of them are still living at home? A Walmart "full time" employee doesn't work enough to get health benefits from what I've heard.
I'd go with things are great as a Walmart employee in Hawaii unless we hear differently. I definitely think a Walmart employee makes more than a small business employee in Hilo.

I haven't found a single negative article or post about Walmart in Hawaii on the internet except speculation here on this forum.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:19 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'd go with things are great as a Walmart employee in Hawaii unless we hear differently. I definitely think a Walmart employee makes more than a small business employee in Hilo.

I haven't found a single negative article or post about Walmart in Hawaii on the internet except speculation here on this forum.
According to a 2006 study, for every retail job created at Walmart, communities lose 1.4 retail jobs.[2] Based on the findings of this study, we estimate that, if Walmart had no stores in Hawaii, there would be an additional 1,696 retail jobs in the state.

The Walmart 1 Percent: The Facts on Hawaii

Chronology of a retail giant in the Islands | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper

I found two and wasn't trying. Keep it real?

Old 10-19-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post

According to a 2006 study,
Have anything current?

Old 10-19-2014, 11:23 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
In any company in Hawaii, how many of the employees are possibly receiving food stamps? Hawaii has the highest (easiest to qualify for) wage ceiling for qualifying for food stamps in the country.

A Walmart "full time" employee works more than 19 hours a week, so in Hawaii, qualifies for the "free" health insurance coverage, so if people told you that they don't get health benefits - they were not telling you the truth.

As whtviper mentioned, one just doesn't hear of people that work at Walmart, in Hawaii, complaining about their job. I assume that if one didn't like it, they would simply apply somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island