Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 05:46 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Having locations in China, Japan, and New Zealand makes L&L a little more than a "regional chain."
Oh, come on... one in Japan, three in China, a couple in New Zealand...it's not exactly a towering institution, especially when the startup costs for an L&L plate lunch stand can't be more than 10% of what a McDonald's store costs. And lets not forget, those local owners in South Point never could have gotten a Mickey D franchise... not enough traffic, not enough potential income. The folks in Deerfield would never approve.

I'm not knocking L&L, not in any way, I'm just saying they're not even in the same game as WalMart and KFC and the rest of the mega corps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Walmart employees make the most per hour on average in Hawaii, about $14.50/hr.
Most per hour of all states they operate in? (which is what that meant, in context) Big whup, Hawai'i also has the the highest Cost of Living, and the highest poverty level.

Besides, that figure is only for full-time employees, as I said earlier, and as they say on their website. It's far lower for the other third of their workforce.

Just for fun, let's look at what the Labor Department statistics say about statewide mean (average) wages...

Sales & Related Occupations... $15.94
First line supervisors of retail salesworkers..... $22.74
Retail salespersons..... $12.74
Laborers and freight, stock, and material movers(warehouse)..... $14.76
Customer service representatives....... $16.58

So no, the average they give for the top 2/3 of their employees doesn't seem overly generous.

Here's what puzzles me... it's an extremely well documented fact that WalMart is the biggest user of "corporate welfare" in the country, and they factor the public assistance their lower paid employee get into their business model. This much is absolutely beyond debate.

So why are people who have to pay the most out of their own pockets for this... whether they ever set foot in a Walmart store or not... the people with the higher taxable incomes are defending WalMart's socially irresponsible mode of doing business... what kind of sense does that make?

Last edited by OpenD; 10-17-2014 at 07:19 PM..

Old 10-17-2014, 06:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Most per hour of all states they operate in? (which is what that meant, in context) Big whup, Hawai'i also has the the highest Cost of Living, and the highest poverty level.

Besides, that figure is only for full-time employees, as I said earlier. It's far lower for the other third of their workforce.
$14.50/hr. for high school educated or high school dropouts isn't bad - why would a person expect more if they never bothered acquiring marketable skills in a trade or in school? People should not feel entitled to high wages when they've done the minimum in life required to get by.

Walmart also doesn't start employees in Hawaii at minimum wage. And I'd likely be correct you make a lot more money than the local mom and pop retailer.

If you have a source that Walmart doesn't pay $14.50/hr. on average in Hawaii lets see it.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:33 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Quote:
Technically, maybe not, although they pay less than a livable wage... by their own admission. It is part of their business plan. I've seen their ads in the local paper for new hires at substantially lower rates than the ones they claimed in that PR piece you posted.

And let's not forget the way they manipulate schedules to keep most employees on a part-time schedule so they get no perks, no benefits, and don't even make a decent paycheck.

So let's compromise and say they pay a minimal wage.
That business plan (wow, you have access to Walmart's business plan?) sounds like every single mom-and-pop small business in Hawaii? These are the same little companies that invented the 19 hour work week, so they don't have to pay for health coverage in Hawaii! Direct your anger at them maybe?

I sure don't know of any local retail stores that pay a "living wage" anyway, so why do you continually harp upon Walmart for doing the same as their competition, even for paying more than the competition?

"Manipulating schedules" ??? Sounds just like every retail part-time job in the country? When a person applies for a part-time job, they should expect to work a part-time job, not be forced to work more than that.

No perks or benefits? You mean like the matching 401k plan that even part-time workers can utilize? How many "small businesses" offer that? Even employee stock purchase discounts, payable thru payroll deduction. Before you nitpick that a part-time worker cannot afford to do this, realize that not all workers live alone and are supporting themselves (just like in any other business).

And I would love to see proof of these local ads that Walmart has placed that have starting pay listed.

Oh, never mind...

Old 10-17-2014, 06:36 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Quote:
$14.50/hr. for high school educated or high school dropouts isn't bad - why would a person expect more if they never bothered acquiring marketable skills in a trade or in school? People should not feel entitled to high wages when they've done the minimum in life required to get by.

Walmart also doesn't start employees in Hawaii at minimum wage. And I'd likely be correct you make a lot more money than the local mom and pop retailer.

If you have a source that Walmart doesn't pay $14.50/hr. on average in Hawaii lets see it.
whyviper - some people just don't like the truth cause it interferes with their agenda.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:12 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,953 times
I don't shop at Walmart because I saw what they did to Eastern Oregon and based on that, I find them to be an unethical company. However, it's not up to me to decide if Walmart stays in Hawaii. It's up to the people living in Hawaii to decide if they want Walmart there. If the people don't want Walmart in Hawaii, stop shopping there and they will go away. I doubt that will happen though.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:26 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times
It really doesn't matter educational level or market its all an excuse to justify a position. The reality is employers are paying less wages while workers productivity keeps rising. To pay on anything other then productivity is classist.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/su...-stagnate.html

Old 10-17-2014, 07:36 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,348 times
Quote:
Oh, come on... one in Japan, three in China, a couple in New Zealand...it's not exactly a towering institution, especially when the startup costs for an L&L plate lunch stand can't be more than 10% of what a McDonald's store costs. And lets not forget, those local owners in South Point never could have gotten a Mickey D franchise... not enough traffic, not enough potential income. The folks in Deerfield would never approve.

I'm not knocking L&L, not in any way, I'm just saying they're not even in the same game as WalMart and KFC and the rest of the mega corps.
Although L&L isn't quite in the same "league" as McDonald's, they're in the same "game."

I'd say that L&L is almost comparable to Panda Express, Yoshinoya, and Jolibee at this particular stage in its development. However, its growth has been somewhat hindered by imitators, such as "ʻOhana Hawaiian BBQ," "Ono Hawaiian Barbecue," "Ono Ono Hawaiian Barbecue & Veggies," "Aloha Hawaiian BBQ," "Da Lūʻau Hawaiian Grill," "Aloha BBQ," and countless others that have adopted the concept. The founders of L&L should have trademarked "Hawaiian Barbecue" prior to 2004.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:48 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I don't shop at Walmart because I saw what they did to Eastern Oregon and based on that, I find them to be an unethical company. However, it's not up to me to decide if Walmart stays in Hawaii. It's up to the people living in Hawaii to decide if they want Walmart there. If the people don't want Walmart in Hawaii, stop shopping there and they will go away. I doubt that will happen though.
I shop at Wal-Mart because hackers haven't managed to steal customer debit and credit card data from them yet, unlike Target, Home Depot, K-Mart, and several other large retailers.
Big-Box Breach: The Inside Story of Wal-Mart's Hacker Attack | WIRED

Old 10-17-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
That's simple. It's in the original source you quoted. It's the part you left out.

Now again, presumably you pay taxes in Hawai'i, so WalMart's "corporate welfare takes money takes money out of your pocket rather than raising prices a percent or two so they could pay livable wages to ALL their employees. So why are you defending them? They're costing you money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island