Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 11:51 PM

133 posts, read 182,326 times

Advertisements

To the OP, If you can afford the move and are prepared, why not? We moved to Oahu from the Northeast for the same reason. (We love Kauai and Big Island is cheaper to live in but, it would just be too rural to be a resident.) We're also in our 30s and needed a change. We haven't had a problem with jobs so we haven't had to use our savings (outside for paying for the move).

I'd go with a short-term lease, too. Or if you have someone on-island, maybe they can help you secure a place.

Go for it and make it work for as long as it works for you. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 04:39 PM

14 posts, read 16,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
It is illegal to prepay rent for several months in advance in Hawaii.

They can collect the first month rent - security deposit up to the first months rent - and pet deposit.
Is this a fact ,where is this law?

Old 01-31-2015, 07:13 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Yes, it's the law. We've discussed it many time here. Here's the tenant/landlord handbook from the Hawai'i gov.

http://files.hawaii.gov/dcca/ocp/lan...t-handbook.pdf

Of course, people do make requests for landlords to do this under the table, but I think most will shy clear, for this simple reason... if there is a legal dispute, and more than the legal deposit has been accepted, the assumption will be that the landlord has broken the law. And they can be penalized by the court for 3X the amount illegally accepted. I think that is a pretty strong incentive to follow the law.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:50 PM

Sorry only see one post for prepay rent . Anyway someone that is retired would not have a job. I do see in your Hand book that 1 month security deposit max . I don't see were I can't (its illegal) enter into a lease for say 6 months and pay 6 months rent in advance . Is there some logic to this.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:39 AM

10 posts, read 8,988 times
LOL .do you have 'connections'? because obtaining a rental with no employment doesnt usually work in Hawaii

Old 02-09-2015, 11:02 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salemlampworks View Post
Sorry only see one post for prepay rent . Anyway someone that is retired would not have a job. I do see in your Hand book that 1 month security deposit max . I don't see were I can't (its illegal) enter into a lease for say 6 months and pay 6 months rent in advance . Is there some logic to this.
You cannot legally prepay rent in Hawaii.

Q. How much advance rent or prepaid rent is allowable by law?
A. One month. A Landlord cannot accept more than a month’s rent and a security deposit equal to one month’s rent for any reason.

Landlord Tenant Q&A | Hawaii Real Estate - A complete listing of Hawaii Homes on Oahu Honolulu

Old 02-14-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You cannot legally prepay rent in Hawaii.

A. One month. A Landlord cannot accept more than a month’s rent and a security deposit equal to one month’s rent for any reason.

Landlord Tenant Q&A | Hawaii Real Estate - A complete listing of Hawaii Homes on Oahu Honolulu
I think it actually says a landlord cannot require more than first month and (security deposit) last month rent.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:15 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
I think it actually says a landlord cannot require more than first month and (security deposit) last month rent.
No. It does not say that.

It says - a landlord cannot accept more than a month's rent for any reason. So, if a tenant wants to prepay more than a months rent and the landlord accepts more than a month's rent, that would be illegal.

Is it possible a landlord would go along with this arrangement. Sure, some don't know the law. Some don't care about the law. It can be a risky proposition especially for the landlord in case they get sued. M

Old 02-14-2015, 08:02 PM

(2) The landlord may NOT REQUIRE or receive from or on behalf of a tenant at the BEGINNING of a rental agreement any money other than the money for the first month's rent and a security deposit as provided in this section. No part of the security deposit shall be construed as payment of the last month's rent by the tenant, unless mutually agreed upon, in writing, by the landlord and tenant if the tenant gives forty-five days' notice of vacating the premises; in entering such agreement, the landlord shall not be deemed to have waived the right to pursue legal remedies against the tenant for any damages the tenant causes.(d) If a tenant submits notice of early termination in compliance with this section, the landlord shall: (1) Return all security deposits and PREPAID RENT recoverable by the tenant under section 521-44 following the tenant's surrender of the dwelling unit, except as otherwise provided in subsection (c); provided that the landlord may withhold an amount of the security deposit for payment of damages which the landlord has suffered by reason of the tenant's noncompliance with section 521-51;

I wonder what the word beginning means or prepaid rent ? It says what it says
unless mutually agreed upon, in writing,by the landlord and tenant.I guess after you sign the lease you can make any changes to it you want.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:03 PM

268 posts, read 383,026 times
Quote:
(2) The landlord may NOT REQUIRE or receive from or on behalf of a tenant at the BEGINNING of a rental agreement any money other than the money for the first month's rent and a security deposit as provided in this section. No part of the security deposit shall be construed as payment of the last month's rent by the tenant, unless mutually agreed upon, in writing, by the landlord and tenant if the tenant gives forty-five days' notice of vacating the premises; in entering such agreement, the landlord shall not be deemed to have waived the right to pursue legal remedies against the tenant for any damages the tenant causes.(d) If a tenant submits notice of early termination in compliance with this section, the landlord shall: (1) Return all security deposits and PREPAID RENT recoverable by the tenant under section 521-44 following the tenant's surrender of the dwelling unit, except as otherwise provided in subsection (c); provided that the landlord may withhold an amount of the security deposit for payment of damages which the landlord has suffered by reason of the tenant's noncompliance with section 521-51;

I wonder what the word beginning means or prepaid rent ? It says what it says
unless mutually agreed upon, in writing,by the landlord and tenant.I guess after you sign the lease you can make any changes to it you want.
You're like a dog with a bone and won't let go. What does predaid rent mean? Really? You agree to rent a house and the owner asks you to pay the first month's rent up front. At the beginning of each month rent is due for the coming month. Rent in advance. That is prepaid rent. You keep twisting the words and implying a different meaning where there is none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island