Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 04:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,343,415 times

Advertisements

Will probably take a tour, any tour groups better than others?
How dependent on the weather are these tours?
Where are the tours based? bottom of the mountain or in Kona?
How long are the tours?
Thinking of going mid March.
Apart from the Observatories and Volcano National Park what other must see destinations should be considered?
How long does it take to drive around the Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 06:40 AM

575 posts, read 1,199,629 times
jambo, I don't live there, but can share my experiences with visiting Mauna Kea. We didn't go with a tour group, but rented a 4WD vehicle in Hilo and went on our own. Everyone has to stop at the visitor center at about 9000 ft to acclimate to the height and the final push to the top. I sorta recall you have to stay there for 45 - 60 minutes. From the visitor center we then became part of a caravan to the top and led on a tour by the caravan leader.

As for myself, the stop below didn't help very much. I did experience some altitude sickness, light headed, dry mouth, a little nausea, but nothing serious. I could tell the difference! My wife was fine!

Wish I could tell you more about tour companies, but we really don't use them. We plan our own activities and have more enjoyment that way. I would guess, however, that most are very reliable, but probably some that are considered the major tour operators.

It's a fascinating trip and you will be wowed. The last time we were on top was in late June and there was still patches of snow. You definitely need to dress in layers...no shorts and slippahs!

Old 11-16-2014, 05:01 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,457,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I suggest checking the reviews on sites like Yelp! and TripAdvisor for the best answers to that kind of question. Other tourists usually have a better handle on what's good for tourists. Personally, it's hard to get into that mode of thinking any more.

Quote:
Very. The main thing you go for is the view, so when visibility is poor there's little reason to go. With rare exceptions you don't actually see much of the observatory except for the outside of the buildings.

Quote:
There's nothing at the bottom of the Observatory Road except a rural intersection, and I guess the bottom of the mountain, as long as you aren't talking about deep water exploration, would be either Kailua-Kona or Hilo. There are tours from each.
Quote:
Apart from the Observatories and Volcano National Park what other must see destinations should be considered?
It entirely depends on what your interests are... historic Hawaiian sites? Coffee or macadamia nut farms? black sand beach where the sea turtles come up to sun? green sand beach that is is the southernmost point in the southernmost state in the country? rainbow falls and the bamboo forest? the formerly largest cattle ranch in the world with authentic paniolo cowboys? lazing on the sundeck watching for whales? hula for days? You can easily spend two weeks on the Big Island without seeing everything. So you need to do some basic research to see what appeals to you. I recommend you start with the State Tourism guide..

Hawaii Island Travel Planner 2014-15

Quote:
If you keep moving, with no long stops anywhere, you can do it in a single day, but it's likely to be a blur when you're done. It's only about 220 miles, if I recall correctly, but with speed limits of 55 and 45 most of the way, and slower moving traffic much of the way, three days is a lot reasonable and more fun, with stops for the night twice along the way. For sure I'd make one of those stops in the Volcano area, because the lava lake at Kilauea and the current lava flow out of Pu'u 'O'o in the distance are most dramatic at night, and the night view of the Milky Way in a black sky from 4,000' altitude is so astonishing. Take long pants and a warm jacket and rainhat... weather on the Big Island is unpredictable.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:40 PM

133 posts, read 182,532 times
Not my thread but, useful for me also since we are going for Thanksgiving weekend. Now off to find recommendations for Thanksgiving dinner.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:00 PM

Here's an earlier post I wrote on doing a circle tour of the Big Island. A few of the references may be a little dated, but on the whole I think it holds up pretty well...

//www.city-data.com/forum/29950840-post34.html

and here's another

//www.city-data.com/forum/36450020-post4.html

Old 11-16-2014, 11:19 PM

47 posts, read 57,923 times
We were just there a couple of weeks ago. Rented a 4x4 and went ourselves. Didn't follow anyone, actually the goal was to head out from the visitor's center before all the Japanese tourists on the buses so we could get a prime viewing spot. There's only one way you can go (up!). We spent about 30 minutes at the visitor's center for acclimation and my husband got some altitude sickness but the rest of us were fine. After, we drove back down to look through the telescopes and have some hot chocolate (and snacks we had brought with us) and then when we were done with the experience, we left. It did get pretty chilly although not quite parka cold. 2 days later it snowed! I think that's about the only time you won't get a good view, if they even let you up there.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:56 AM

133 posts, read 182,532 times
thanks for the tips, opened and modogs. i have asthma, so i'm worried about the air up there. we may not stay very long but, will try to see all that's possible.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdlette View Post
Not my thread but, useful for me also since we are going for Thanksgiving weekend. Now off to find recommendations for Thanksgiving dinner.
You didn't say where you'll be, so it's hard to recommend. Keep in mind that some restaurants are closed on Thanksgiving... I know, right?... so that the ones that are serving tend to be crowded and require reservations that fill up fast, so i wouldn't dawdle. Once you have your travel schedule worked out, make some phone calls. I know off hand that Ken's in Hilo will be open, while Cafe Pesto will be closed. In Volcano both Kilauea Lodge and Volcano House will be open, In Waimea, Merrimans will be open... very nice place, expensive. Also, my impression is that restaurants in big hotels are more likely to be open than stand alone places.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:10 AM

575 posts, read 1,199,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
How long are the tours?
Thinking of going mid March.

Should be of some help:

Welcome to MKVIS - Maunakea Visitor Information Station

Old 11-17-2014, 02:44 PM

42 posts, read 64,843 times
We took the tour last year, with Hawaii Forest & Trail. I have mixed reviews.

The good: 1. The guide was very knowledgeable and personable
2. The food was good.
3. Jackets and gloves were clean and of good quality

The not-so-good: 1. Not many stars out. I have seen more stars while camping. (not their fault, but STILL, you pay that
much money, you want to see a BLANKET of stars.
2. The cost. We paid $200/person, and didnt even see that many stars.
3. The tour guide got REALLY uncomfortable when I asked him questions he thought were too
controversial, like did he ever see any UFOs. He acted irritated and mocked me.

If we ever go again, we'll drive ourselves. I don't think it's worth the cost, although the guide knows a LOT about stars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island