Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2014, 09:29 AM

48 posts, read 62,095 times

Advertisements

The research continues, I saw something about the banana belt and was wondering what area that is. I couldn't find much info about it. It made reference to it being dryer than Hilo and even had the sun shining when it was raining in Hilo. I guess its north of Hilo? Can anyone give me more info on the towns of the "banana belt" and is that statement true. Maybe Hotzcatz is perusing the forum and has an idea I believe she's up on the north-northeast side of the island. Mahalo
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 10:23 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,682,760 times
Half of the island is sunnier and drier than Hilo. I assume from your post, however, that you are interested in staying on the Hilo side? How close to Hilo do you want to be?

Old 11-16-2014, 01:46 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,918,822 times
The island is full of microclimates. Virtually every subdivision has it's own "banana belt".

Old 11-16-2014, 06:57 PM
Due

245 posts, read 380,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
The island is full of microclimates. Virtually every subdivision has it's own "banana belt".
This is true:
we have apple bananas (4 bunches on now) frequently in Kohala. Our "banana belt" is assisted with drip irrigation...
also have oranges, tangerines, limes, lemons, coconut, mango, okra.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:06 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,762,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Due View Post
This is true:
we have apple bananas (4 bunches on now) frequently in Kohala. Our "banana belt" is assisted with drip irrigation...
also have oranges, tangerines, limes, lemons, coconut, mango, okra.
Dang due that has got to be a blessing, but hard work too?

Old 11-16-2014, 09:36 PM
Due

245 posts, read 380,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Dang due that has got to be a blessing, but hard work too?
Not hard: working with our landscape, flower, fruit and vegetable gardens is very satisfying plus great stress reliever, and exercise.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:51 AM

I had not heard of it before and thought I would put it out there to see from someone in the know. I thought it might have been an author taking liberty with the expression.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:14 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
The "banana belt" is the area that bananas like to grow in. Which is usually an area people find comfortable, too. Bananas like warm, moist areas. Usually up to about 2,000 foot elevation to maybe 2,500 foot elevation and then it gets too cool for bananas to be happy. The Realtors use the term "banana belt" usually to signify a warmer and sunnier than the surrounding non-banana belt areas. But bananas will grow in lots of places outside of their designated "banana belt".

There's an area below Volcano - around Mountain View/Kurtistown/Keaau which could be a banana belt. There's a swath through Paradise Park with that designation, although why one part of that subdivision would be better than the other for growing bananas, I don't quite know. Most of lower Puna - Pahoa/Ainaloa/Nanawale/Lelani Estates/Kapoho, etc. are great for bananas and papayas. They will also grow in not too much soil, which works well in the Puna district which is known for more rocks than soil in some places. And in some places the rocks are very fresh, too.

Laupahoehoe has a "banana belt" area according to some Realtors as well as Paauhau and parts of Honokaa. Once you get above the highway in Honokaa and you're in the Ahualoa area, there's less bananas. Mostly because it's a higher elevation and cooler weather. But, you can still grow bananas if you really want, they just won't do as well. Loads of bananas in Waipio, but Realtors don't call that a "banana belt". Maybe because there's more taro, do you think?

Well, they're Realtors and not gardeners, I guess. But "banana belt" isn't a designated geographic area, it's sort of a real estate sales person's term. Kinda in there with "rustic", "cozy", "has loads of potential", etc.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:43 AM

Hotcatz aloha and I appreciate your very informative input, much mahalo

Old 11-20-2014, 11:30 AM

189 posts, read 261,165 times
Some of the areas you mentioned are well below 2000ft. From my personal experience, on BI areas above 2000ft are usually cooler and darker but the temps are indeed comfortable for humans since they tend to stay in mid 70's. I noticed bananas actually have a pretty wide range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island