Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 01:07 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,585,685 times

Advertisements

Aloha - So, when we move to the BI in January I'll be bringing my little Harley Davidson with me. (It's a 2009 883 Sportster.) We don't have vehicle inspections here in the Sunshine state, and I'm not sure what to expect or how picky they will be. I've read the state booklet about motorcycle inspections and what they look at. My only real issue is the noise level. My bike is 5 years old and still has the original factory mufflers/exhaust. It is louder than it was when new, for certain.

Should I have the exhaust replaced here or just wait to see how the inspection goes? What happens if it fails? Do they impound or ??

Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 01:41 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Do they impound or ??
It won't be impounded.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:14 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
You can download the entire motorcycle inspection manual here, to see what they check for...

http://hidot.hawaii.gov/highways/fil...otorcycles.pdf

Here's the part about exhausts, in its entirety...

Quote:
EXHAUST SYSTEM (Line 6 of Form)
Components must be securely mounted, have no leaks or an unacceptably loud
sound level. Welding cracks is an acceptable method of repairing an exhaust pipe.

Fail exhaust system if:
►It is leaking.
►Any component part is not securely fastened.
►Any component part is missing, equipped with exhaust cut-outs, by-pass or
similar devices or lacks a muffler. Installing a baffle in an open pipe is acceptable
provided it reduces the noise level to about that of a stock exhaust system.
►Emits a much louder noise than that emitted by the vehicle as equipped from
the factory, or
►Exhaust gas is not exiting beyond the passenger.
They are unlikely to fail a bike that been well maintained. IF the bike fails, get that fixed. No biggie.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:25 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,676,166 times
Ka'u Auto Repair in Na'alehu does vehicle safety inspections between 2:00 and 4:00 every day, first come first served. While they do a thorough inspection, they aren't over-the-top picky. However, if they do fail something, you just get it fixed and come back for a re-inspection.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,381 times
You shouldn't have any problems as long as you have all the basics (turn signals, reflective stickers in the right places, lights, horn, insurance). The noise shouldn't be a problem at all, it's BI. Aloha

Old 11-18-2014, 11:45 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valken View Post
You shouldn't have any problems as long as you have all the basics (turn signals, reflective stickers in the right places, lights, horn, insurance). The noise shouldn't be a problem at all, it's BI. Aloha
They use a checklist, on their iPad, to ensure they don't miss anything. That list can be found at the beginning of the Inspection Manual I linked to previously.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:58 AM

Mahalo for all the good info. I think I'm safe.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:46 PM
Due

245 posts, read 380,306 times
My favorite inspection/Safety Check is Kona Coast Customs (motorcycle shop) near COSTCO. Jim 325-2500

Old 11-18-2014, 10:11 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,165,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Ka'u Auto Repair in Na'alehu does vehicle safety inspections between 2:00 and 4:00 every day, first come first served. While they do a thorough inspection, they aren't over-the-top picky. However, if they do fail something, you just get it fixed and come back for a re-inspection.
Ka'u Auto Repair is where I went. If you do go and are in a hurry, plan to get there about an hour early as they take lunch from 1:00-2:00 and when they get back, there can be a substantial number of folks waiting for inspections.
But if you aren't in a hurry, it's a good chance to talk story with folks while waiting.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:42 PM

Talking The bike is finally here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Due View Post
My favorite inspection/Safety Check is Kona Coast Customs (motorcycle shop) near COSTCO. Jim 325-2500
Mahalo everyone for the info. Kau Auto Repair did the safety inspection on my wife's car today, but they do not do inspections for motorcycles. Looks like I'll follow Due's advice and take a ride to Kona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island