Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 12:55 PM

11 posts, read 19,545 times

Advertisements

I rarely see the police doing anything but give speeding tickets. The other day I saw a pickup with bogus "sovergn nation" plates, no safety sticker, driving in town and on the highway. I see all sorts of vehicle violations, suspicious activity, etc. What is the deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 01:15 PM
Due

245 posts, read 381,971 times
They do much more.
Including DUI roadblocks and patrols: DUI stats 11-10-14

Old 11-24-2014, 01:44 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,539,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkabout2014 View Post
I rarely see the police doing anything but give speeding tickets. The other day I saw a pickup with bogus "sovergn nation" plates, no safety sticker, driving in town and on the highway. I see all sorts of vehicle violations, suspicious activity, etc. What is the deal?
There has to be a balance struck between public safety costs that taxpayers are willing to pay for and what it would cost to achieve 100% compliance with traffic rules.

And need I say it? Lots of people already complain that traffic enforcement is too harsh now, especially if they've just gotten dinged with a ticket themselves. People complain now about roadblocks and patrols being too intrusive, even though they clearly produce results.

Traffic enforcement has always operated on a "percentage" basis... the idea that if 100 cars are speeding and you write a ticket for one of them, it has a deterrent effect on the other 99. Roadblock DUI checks operate on the idea that if they catch a few drunks, in addition to getting them off the road, it will be a deterrent to a lot of others.

Police can't be everywhere, and can't see everything, and nobody would actually like it if they could. But as a concerned citizen, if you see something that the police should know about, pick up the phone and report it.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:14 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,130,980 times
Oh, I dunno, we get our officers out walking among the folks keeping track of things. If we have an issue, we can find Officer Jody and he'll look into it for us or tell us how we can get it resolved. They do a lot more than merely write out traffic tickets. I think it's good that the community has it's police officers out and about so when you need them you already know who they are and they know you, too.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:30 PM

312 posts, read 1,377,596 times
Perhaps you see people getting speeding tickets, but you may not be seeing them getting other types of tickets? I mean, speeding tickets are the most visual for others to see happening...not much else is detectable or really look like anything but someone getting a speeding ticket. I mean, how do you know.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:00 PM

834 posts, read 1,223,720 times
Household abuse is the most common 911 call in HAwaii (Drug or alcohol related, child abuse, sexual abuse, or violence).

Old 11-26-2014, 07:03 AM

575 posts, read 1,202,741 times
Quote:

I would think if a person is not breaking a law they wouldn't have to be concerned about law enforcement. I'm actually thankful they give tickets for speeding violations. As to the other violations you observe it's possible you're not around law enforcement addresses the issue.

I've driven to Alaska and back home six times. On the drive through Canada I'll see only 1-3 police cars!

Old 11-26-2014, 09:38 AM

8,912 posts, read 4,635,891 times
Default Police

Quote:
Just count your blessings that you aren't in Ferguson MO

Old 05-30-2015, 08:12 PM

11 posts, read 19,545 times
Yep, saw another truck today without plates or safety sticker. On each side of the back window were "Defend Hawaii" stickers. Where the plate should be was a written statement that was too small for me to read at a safe distance. Seems like they don't like the U.S. Remember; "One nation, under God, indivisible...". Like it or not, the U.S. is here to stay.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:30 PM

18,466 posts, read 19,107,245 times
your rant about cars without safety stickers seems more about your opposition to people showing support of hawaiian sovereignty. you too should remember in america we have the right to free speech even if you don't like what is said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island