Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 02:34 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
WOW!
You can teach an old dog new tricks!

I'm not sure what you mean. There was certainly nothing disrespectful in my comment - just an honest question. No hidden meanings. Sometimes it just is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 12:39 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Perhaps he meant he learned something himself? Most folks post things relating to themselves, after all.

Back to the OP's topic:
How long of a time frame is best to consider when trying to determine a "real estate sales trend", anyway? Sometimes it will bump and bobble, yet show a general overall trend one way or another. Are we supposed to look back six months, a year, two years or what to actually figure out which way it's going?

Currently, the Big Island has the lava heading off towards Pahoa and threatening to cut off most of Lower Puna from easy access to Hilo and the rest of the island. That has really dropped prices in the Puna area which is one of the largest housing areas on the island. So, that would modify the sales stats, although, only on part of the island and not the whole thing.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:32 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Here's the notice that Trulia has on their website: Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.

And here's the headline from the Terms of Service here...

Terms of Service: Use descriptive titles, no advertising, no copyrighted material, post in the correct forum/sub-forum

https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Just because something is pasted with copyright messages doesn't mean that every ASCII character on their web site is copyrighted. We're not lawyers and aren't qualified to make these distinctions. If everybody followed that advice the only thing on the internet would be spam. Take some of your own advice and RELAX.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:43 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Just because something is pasted with copyright messages doesn't mean that every ASCII character on their web site is copyrighted. We're not lawyers and aren't qualified to make these distinctions.
But everyone on this site is qualified to follow the rules the owners have posted here. And they say, at the top of every forum "No copyrighted material," with additional details about what they mean in the Terms of Service.

Just follow the simple, plain English rules here and everyone can relax.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
But everyone on this site is qualified to follow the rules the owners have posted here. And they say, at the top of every forum "No copyrighted material," with additional details about what they mean in the Terms of Service.

Just follow the simple, plain English rules here and everyone can relax.
I have read your post on "No copyrighted material" and conducted an investigation of my own behavior here and have come to the conclusion that I may have failed to meet the Terms of Service.

Because I lack all of the degrees, certifications, licensing, and experience required to be a lawyer specializing in intellectual property laws, I cannot recognize every instance of "copyrighted material" when I see it. I am excited that you meet all of these requirements. Please, continue to offer your expert legal opinions when you see us scofflaws violating copyright laws, international intellectual property treaties, patent and trademark infringements, or any other violations that you feel needs policing. We appreciate the service that you are offering all of us, and it will help us to be more compliant in the future. I will re-read the Terms of Service, maybe even print them out for future reference, and moving forward, it would be my wish to consult an expert intellectual property rights attorney before posting any information that could help others. Unfortunately, I can't actually afford to do that. I will have to continue to defer to the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America. Until of course, an expert tells me I am in error.

I understand the concept that copyright laws were put into place to protect the intellectual property of others, however I also understand the concept of public domain, and that just because something is labeled as intellectual property, doesn't always make it so. Thank you for being here to help us navigate this difficult legal conundrum. Without you, I'm not sure if I could ever post information again.

Moving forward, I will consider the potential legal ramifications before being helpful to others.

Again, thank you for this opportunity to demonstrate my dedication to compliance. I take the Terms of Service seriously, and will endeavor to meet them fully in the future.

Last edited by terracore; 12-19-2014 at 09:17 PM..

Old 12-20-2014, 11:19 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Because I lack all of the degrees, certifications, licensing, and experience required to be a lawyer specializing in intellectual property laws, I cannot recognize every instance of "copyrighted material" when I see it.
Let me simplify it for you... if someone else created something... wrote something, took a picture, drew a chart... they have a copyright on that work, and you need to get their permission to copy it legally. Or to post it here.*

A copyright notice is not required for the copyright to be valid. A notice simply makes enforcement easier.

In any case, what I was referring to are the rules on this forum, which everyone posting here has agreed to.

*Exceptions: Government information is copyright free. Brief excerpts from articles may be posted, with link back to the source.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:24 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Quote:
Let me simplify it for you... if someone else created something... wrote something, took a picture, drew a chart... they have a copyright on that work, and you need to get their permission to copy it legally. Or to post it here.*

A copyright notice is not required for the copyright to be valid. A notice simply makes enforcement easier.

In any case, what I was referring to are the rules on this forum, which everyone posting here has agreed to.

*Exceptions: Government information is copyright free. Brief excerpts from articles may be posted, with link back to the source.
Glad you clarified that, I was reading through the thread and also didn't know what you were talking about. Actually, I bet most people don't understand the terms of service required by CD, even after reading it. We have many uneducated folks on here, like me!

But I digress, good thread, interesting to learn about the local real estate market on the Big Island.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:

I wrote three small poems today:

Thanks OpenD (c)

Thank you OpenD (c)

OpenD, thanks (c)

Three small poems, all three copyrighted by myself. I appreciate that if you see any of them posted here, or anywhere, you will have them deleted under the Terms of Service. Also, under trademark laws I also claim any logical variances.

Again, thank you for helping all of us come into compliance.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:53 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Quote:

Thanks OpenD (c)

Thank you OpenD (c)

OpenD, thanks (c)

Three small poems, all three copyrighted by myself. I appreciate that if you see any of them posted here, or anywhere, you will have them deleted under the Terms of Service. Also, under trademark laws I also claim any logical variances.

Nice try, but
By registering and posting on City-Data.com's Forums you grant owners ofCity-data.com forum a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive right to license,use, modify, or publish your posts in any media and manner whatsoever.

Not sure why a thread about real-estate prices devolved into a tiff about terms of service, which are reasonably straight forward.

Have a great day! And Merry Christmas.

Last edited by Buckeye77; 12-21-2014 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: font size

Old 12-21-2014, 08:39 AM

552 posts, read 1,056,256 times
Quote:

Thanks OpenD (c)

Thank you OpenD (c)

OpenD, thanks (c)

I applaud your creativity!

Rust
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island