Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 10:04 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times

Advertisements

They are pricey. The system drops you out frequently, usually just a few seconds here and there. I know because we have them at work.
Please read the other posts and contact MobiPCS which will be much cheaper and more reliable, plus it is portable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 01:50 AM

6 posts, read 21,227 times
Just to chime in on internet in Fern Acres again. I live pretty far back towards Anthurium on Plumeria, & the cable stops at pole #90. Its been that way for a few years, & unsurprisingly the cable company offers many answers on when exactly they'll extend it, ranging from 'within the year' to 'we have no plans at this time'. I guess they divine their answer by throwing darts or reading tea leaves, or something. Anyway!

I have Hele Mobile Broadband (hardeharhar...) from Mobi PCS, & its pretty much the best option. Its not nearly as fast as cable, but it is faster than dialup. Is it worth $34 (the cost with direct withdrawl option) a month? Depends on how often you use your internet at home versus going & finding a hotspot in town, & how much you hate dialup & tying up your phoneline with it.

Very important note! I have a car antenna for a cell phone hooked up to the USB antenna device you use to connect to Hele that is up on my roof, which is about 20 ft up. I got it from Cellular Enhancements down by KTA. They have a lot of different versions there, opt for the cheapest, then work up if that one doesn't do the trick. Or, go on eBay & find one for waaay cheaper. I also don't have many trees on my lot. With my antenna, I get 3 out of 5 bars. Without it, I only get 1 or 2 - with only 1 bar, the internet is technically connected, but won't actually do anything.

Another note - I've heard around that the new Hele USB antenna does NOT have the port for an external booster antenna, meaning you couldn't hook up the car cell antenna. If so, I'd avoid getting Hele to use here in the Acres, & only get it if you're down around Keaau & Hilo a lot. This is just a rumor though, I haven't checked out if there is a new antenna. My own antenna is quite old, I bought it used.

Mobi does allow you to test Hele out for seven days, & return it for a full refund if it sucks in your area. They'll also be upfront about how well it may or may not work where you are!

Old 10-02-2010, 03:34 AM

6 posts, read 21,227 times
Just to update, I asked a few questions at the Mobi store in the mall - the new antennas do include the external antenna port, they don't get any better/worse reception than the older antennas, & the reception is the same for Fern Acres.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:06 PM

115 posts, read 471,476 times
Here is what I ended up with in HA, AT&T and purchased a repeater from jdteck dot com and now I have great cell and internet service. I didn't want to go with the little antenna you plug into your laptop. This really worked out great,

Not as good as DSL but that will be a few years before they get it to my property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: