Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 11:39 AM

83 posts, read 129,748 times

Advertisements

Well we are coming in May to find a home.

I would like Hawaiian Rec Shores but in zone 2 that might be hard to buy there.
I want to live in Puna area and I don't want to live in a "city" you know close neighbors.
Anyway we are going to look in HPP what are the "good" areas?
I heard that good internet (high speed) is available near the main road Paradise Rd?
Can anybody give me some helpful hints?
We are going to stay on the waters edge end of Paradise Rd
How close to the water can you be without needing flood insurance?

Thanks to all
Aloha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 01:09 PM
Due

245 posts, read 382,198 times
This might help with your flood insurance questions:
Know Your Risk - County of Hawaii - Flood Awareness

Try searching this forum for your other questions too.

Aloha

Old 01-11-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Due View Post
This might help with your flood insurance questions:
Know Your Risk - County of Hawaii - Flood Awareness

Try searching this forum for your other questions too.

Aloha
I did search for the topic homes in HPP, Internet in HPP.
Am I not allowed to ask specific questions?

Old 01-11-2015, 06:30 PM
Due

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.vick View Post
Sure you are: just trying to help save you time....

I don't have any real-time experience with HPP, although we considered the area: along with many others.

Best

Old 01-11-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Due View Post
Sure you are: just trying to help save you time....

I don't have any real-time experience with HPP, although we considered the area: along with many others.

Best
I appreciate that ..... Any suggestions with high speed internet?

Thanks

Old 01-11-2015, 08:45 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,552,905 times
Quote:
Absolutely you can ask anything, any time. The question is how how quickly you will get the information you desire.

Using the Advanced Search feature here can tap into many weeks, even months worth of previous input on your topic here in mere moments.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:09 AM
Due

Quote:
I appreciate that ..... Any suggestions with high speed internet?

Thanks
Time Warner Cable for internet (Turbo) and it's reliable.
For TV: DirecTV, which is also reliable.

AT&T for cell, but in our area the reception is poor.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:47 AM

I'm just looking for as much info I can get on HPP.
I WILL continue to SEARCH the site.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:59 PM

130 posts, read 235,516 times
Just wondering how familiar you are with the vog situation on Big Island and if you have studied it are you satisfied ignoring it ?

Old 01-12-2015, 06:51 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,144,451 times
Ah, not that vog is not a possible problem, but have you been keeping track of the lava? Some parts of HPP could become covered in lava at some point fairly soon, perhaps. Hawaiian Shores and Hawaiian Beaches are too close to the current path between the lava flow and the ocean for me to be comfortable buying a house there, perhaps you're not as worried about such things. Currently, at least, the lava seems to be running out of steam (or whatever drives lava) before it gets down that far, but it's lava and nothing to get too close to, especially with something that doesn't move well such as a house. The lava ran all the way to the ocean when it was coming down the other side of the ridge. I don't know if the current volume of flow is enough to push it past the Keaau-Pahoa highway and down through the subdivisions to the ocean, but do you want to bet the price of a house that it won't?

Isn't Paradise Road in Nanawale? I guess you mean "Paradise Drive". In any case, if you were considering HPP, if it were me, I'd stick to the far end towards Hilo due to the possibility of lava nibbling on the Pahoa edges of HPP within the next several years.

Also, be careful of what you wish for. There is no "city" anywhere on the island, so you don't really have to worry about living in a city. Not having close neighbors also means you won't have close amenities, either. No shopping without driving somewhere, no parks without driving somewhere, no doctor's offices without driving somewhere, etc. In some parts of Hilo or other towns, there are neighborhoods with houses spaced away from each other yet still close enough to town that you can get to and from easily. In some very few areas, you can even walk to places. From what I've also noticed, closer neighbors seems to equate to less property thefts. When you get houses spaced far apart or not visible from the street, then they seem to have more break ins. Neighbors can be helpful in keeping a watch on properties. But, mostly, I think the having to drive everywhere is what makes the most impact on your life on a day to day basis. Of course, at this point, most folks chime in on how nasty their commute is now and how a commute of less than XX number of minutes will be a lot better. IMHO, that's a lot like saying hitting your thumb with a lesser hammer is better. I mean, it probably is, but why hit your thumb at all?

The water's edge in lower HPP is a rocky bluff and a lot of it isn't accessible so being close to the water may not mean you can actually reach the water. HPP also flattens out so there aren't a lot of views unless you are really close to the water, either. Just my two cents, but if it were me, I'd wait to choose the house buying area I was interested in after running around on the island for awhile.

Not sure if the water's edge in HPP is that far into a flood zone, it may have high enough bluffs that it isn't. But, an insurance company could probably give you the most accurate information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island