Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 04:43 PM

11 posts, read 17,224 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement! And yes I will be happy when she's happy.. I'm going to miss her a ton..Its a 16 hour flight from here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 06:45 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,052 times
Maybe she could find woofing opportunities in the area. She could then have a low cost place to stay all the time, but she would probably have to work seven days a week, probably for very low pay. It seems that surviving on a extremely minimal income is the underlying current of this story.

There seems to be something missing from this story. Your daughter graduated from college. I assume there was a significant investment in time and money to obtain the college degree. What was the major interest of study? Is this job opportunity a good start to her working years and to advance her career? Does the job opportunity allow her to improve her future income earning potential and to improve her future? Or, is the job opportunity in Hawaii only present the opportunity to live in Hawaii while sacrificing her future?

Old 01-24-2015, 11:33 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,665,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Maybe she could find woofing opportunities in the area. She could then have a low cost place to stay all the time, but she would probably have to work seven days a week, probably for very low pay. It seems that surviving on a extremely minimal income is the underlying current of this story.

There seems to be something missing from this story. Your daughter graduated from college. I assume there was a significant investment in time and money to obtain the college degree. What was the major interest of study? Is this job opportunity a good start to her working years and to advance her career? Does the job opportunity allow her to improve her future income earning potential and to improve her future? Or, is the job opportunity in Hawaii only present the opportunity to live in Hawaii while sacrificing her future?
Don't be disparaging Pacific Quest. It is kind of like a therapy camp for troubled teens, and the work can be very challenging. For someone just out of college, it could be an excellent opportunity, despite the harsh living conditions and low pay. There's no way that anyone working there is "sacrificing their future".

I spent three years as a ski bum when I graduated from college, and went on to have a successful career. Successful enough that I was able to retire in Hawaii, so don't be so quick to judge!

Old 01-24-2015, 11:38 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Successful enough that I was able to retire in Hawaii, so don't be so quick to judge!
I thought you were married?

Old 01-25-2015, 09:38 AM

This in kind of getting a little crazy..don't mean to cause any arguments. I was just asking advice on housing. She's very excited to have this opportunity with PQ..I'm just being a crazy mom who will survive it all and so will she..Thanks everyone for all the help and advice

Old 01-25-2015, 10:11 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
No worries about getting crazy, there are some regular posters here who occasionaly get sidetracked. Once you get used to them, you'll be able to follow their conversations.

Will you be able to fly out for a visit while she's working on the island? Maybe she should find housing with room for visitors so you'd be able to visit. Especially while it's cold and winter time on the mainland.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:42 AM

It's a long and expensive flight, but I'm hoping to be able to

Old 01-31-2015, 01:51 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
40 miles north of Na'alehu is Volcano Village, at the gateway to the National Park. The Hele-on Bus Service connects the two towns, as well serving Kea'au and Hilo. The bus doesn't run very often, and not at all on Sundays, but it's clean and cheap.

In the Village, maybe a mile walk up Haunani Rd from the Volcano Store, and a little jog over, is Holo Holo In, a hostel somewhat in the style of a Japanese Country Inn run by a very nice Japanese man and his wife. Current rate for dorm style sleeping is $24/night, comes to $27 and change with taxes. That's the cheapest accommodations in the area.

It's very clean, has very hot showers, and a big kitchen/common room with lots of counter and table space, lots of food storage space, free coffee, tea, and hot chocolate, wonderful handmade raku tableware, free wifi and a computer to use. It's very popular with academics who come up to the volcanic observatory in the park, with hikers, and with Japanese tourists. I recommend it, with only one caveat... like all hostels it has a daily "lockout" from 11-4:30, which is when they do their cleaning, but also is designed to encourage guests to get out and see the area rather than hanging out in the hostel.

Also, no shoes inside. You leave them at the door. It's very common with BnBs and private residences on the Big Island.

In any case, it's a handy place from which to explore the park, and it's halfway to Hilo from the south.

Here's their info:
Our Inn and Hostel rates in Volcano on the Big Island of Hawaii

And here's the bus info,

Hele-On Transit Services General Information — Hele-On - A Service of the County of Hawai'i Mass Transit Agency

and the schedule for the Hilo-Ka'u side

Ka'u-Volcano-Hilo — Hele-On - A Service of the County of Hawai'i Mass Transit Agency

and the Kona side

Pahala-Kona-South Kohala — Hele-On - A Service of the County of Hawai'i Mass Transit Agency

Old 01-31-2015, 07:25 AM

Thank you so much for this wonderful and helpful information!! The bus information is very helpful too. But I have one more question? I'm guessing the best airport to fly into if we are staying here would be Hilo? And if so would it be an easy drive from Hilo airport in a rental car? Thanks again

Old 01-31-2015, 12:19 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
It's almost exactly the same time and distance to Na'alehu from either Hilo or Kailua-Kona airports... roughly 66 miles, an hour and a half travel time. But Kailua-Kona gets far more traffic, has generally better connections, and typically lower fares. Still, it is best to check both for comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island