Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 07:17 AM

101 posts, read 138,420 times

Advertisements

You should double check to see if your insurance has window coverage. Worth a try.
$600 for a windshield or even two is pretty steep. I'd look into that again.
My buddy just replaced a 98 Jetta windshield for $130 brand new installed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 03:07 PM

83 posts, read 128,553 times
There is also some aftermarket glass available much cheaper than OEM and just as good quality.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:02 PM

42 posts, read 110,985 times
We got a quote for about $310, so it'll likely be what we go with…but probably just fixing one car, and not the second. The second car has between $1-$2k in repairs needed to get it to pass safety inspection (rear taillight cover, side view mirror cracked, windshield cracked).

Old 01-27-2015, 04:20 PM

83 posts, read 128,553 times
You can get a t/l and mirror used or after market check google or a Pick And Pull (used parts you can take off a salvage car). It's real easy to do.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:40 PM

Ya really. Those are things you could scoop off Ebay, local junk yard or whatever and replace yourself. You should get used to fixing things yourself if you're gonna live on the Big Island. You're money will go further with your own elbow grease.
If you're unsure about how to fix something there are plenty of forums on the web and youtube videos showing how to do want you want to accomplish.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:03 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonaunauLove View Post
Ya really. Those are things you could scoop off Ebay, local junk yard or whatever and replace yourself. You should get used to fixing things yourself if you're gonna live on the Big Island. You're money will go further with your own elbow grease.
If you're unsure about how to fix something there are plenty of forums on the web and youtube videos showing how to do want you want to accomplish.
To echo this sentiment, I brought over an old 4runner that needed a bumper and some parts to pass (passed in California without them, but wouldn't here). My need for parts was a good opportunity to ask around of the locals for any source. Ended up finding a guy with some old Toyotas who sold me what I needed.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:14 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backpackerchik View Post
KauaiHiker, Are you recommending buying a used one instead of shipping our 1995 Subaru over because of the gas mpg, at a minimum we'll need to replace the windshield, and we don't need two Subarus (similar type of car), then?
Sorry for the delay, I forgot to check back.

Yes, that was exactly my suggestion, which fit with option 2 in your original post (so I assumed you were already considering it). The main reason being that for a while, we needed 2 cars, so we bought a cheap Kia rio on island (somewhat rusty and worn out, which is why I recommended shopping on the mainland for a better value). But this car got 35 mpg and saved us a lot of money in gas--the impreza had a much nicer ride but became our second choice once we only needed one car again. In the end, we bought a nissan leaf electric car and sold them both.

Alternatively, you might see if you really need a second car. It mostly depends on where your spouse works and where you choose to live. He might be able to bike, carpool, or ride the bus. So then you only ship the free car, and if it really doesn't work out, you can buy a local used car with a bit of time to watch the listings. Or you might find you want a real 4wd with clearance for exploring the backroads on the BI (buy local or have family and friends help buy and ship one from the mainland).

Old 01-29-2015, 01:40 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
We have two cars only because they have different uses. We brought over my 1996 Mitsubishi Montero because it is high clearance four-wheel drive and there are a lot of places that we take it on the Big Island. That's our play car, and because it has over 200,000 miles and doesn't get good gas mileage, we decided to buy a second car. We decided on a Chevy HHR because it gets good mileage and because it is roomy inside and we can carry big loads from our bi-weekly shopping trips. We did some shopping around on the Big Island and found only one that was in decent shape (i.e., not too much rust) but they were asking $17,000. Long story short, we bought one in Los Angeles for $12,000 that was in great shape and, even with $1,100 shipping, it still cost a lot less. Did the whole transaction on-line and had a friend test drive it for us. We didn't see it until it arrived in Hilo.

There are many good mechanics here; the hard part is getting parts from the mainland for something that isn't very common. Interesting that the only official "Chevy dealer" repair shop is at Big Island Toyota in Hilo. Great customer service!

Old 01-29-2015, 02:28 PM

42 posts, read 110,985 times
Thank you everyone for your input, it has been helpful. I think we've made our decision, and that is to ship over the one car with lower miles/younger car and sell the older car because it has so many repairs that we think that the amount to get it up to safety inspection standards could be cost prohibitive. (i.e. someone told us that if the check engine light is on that some safety inspectors will not pass the car. The check engine light has been on for like the last 10 years and nothing we do turns it off! We currently live in a very remote place where there are no junkyards (within at least 200-300 miles) to be able to find parts.
I think the best solution is for us to sell the second car here on the mainland. If we have the time, and the situation (easily) arises that we are able to find a good used car here to ship, we will try to do that, but the situation currently seems to be that looking for another car will be another item we need to add to the long list of things to do before our departure and it's possible that we will wait until we get there to shop for a car. Since we do live in a remote location, getting to an area where there are car dealerships and plenty of cars for us to consider would be a 4-5 hour drive each way and would likely take us more than one visit before we were able to make our decision.

That's good to know about the Toyota dealership in Hilo!

Thanks again!

Old 01-30-2015, 07:36 PM

A check engine light for a car that old could be a pile of issues. A lot of times unsolvable, endless wire and sensor checking. Failed sensors mean big bucks even if you do it yourself. I had to replace 2 on my 2000 Outback. Set me back $140 at cost just to pass emissions. Total racket.
Good move on dropping it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: