Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 12:17 PM

42 posts, read 111,194 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the Big Island in April. He is a federal employee and as such they will pay for one of our cars to be shipped from the mainland (yea!) However we own two cars, and assume that we will likely need two cars there. We're struggling with ideas on what we should do for our second car, and I'd like some input from locals there.
A bit of background: We currently own two older Subaraus--one is a 1995 Legacy wagon with over 200k miles, the other is a 1999 Impreza with over 100k miles. We are opting to definitely bring the younger/less miles car over as the one free one. We live in a state that requires no safety checks, emissions checks or anything, so we do not know what their current state of "passing" inspections might be.

Here are our options as I see them:

1) Pay to bring the second car that we already own (assume about $1000 ish to ship from Seattle where our other car is being shipped from)
2) Buy a used car here in on the mainland and ship it.
3) Wait and buy a used car on the Big Island or on Oahu and have it shipped (but at a lesser cost). My understanding is that there are more options on Oahu and people might need to leave quickly and are willing to sell for a good price. Shipping from Oahu to Big Island is like $250? Is that right?

Here are the assumptions that I'm making and what I've learned so far:
1) we don't really need a new car in Hawaii because the salt water and vog/ lava aren't good for the car, and it's better to just have an old car there anyway.
2) gas is more expensive, so a car with excellent gas mileage would be good to have.
3) buying a car (used or new) is more expensive in Hawaii because they cost more to buy new, or the shipping from the mainland is assumed to be in the cost increase.

I've looked at some listings on Craigslist and some dealers. Dealers seem to be extremely high, and the Craiglist postings range widely, but not very many seem to be listed at or under the Kelley Blue Book value.

Should we buy a used car here on the mainland because we know what we're getting, we have more options, and so we can test drive it here first and then ship it?

I realize that getting parts for older cars might be difficult and perhaps expensive, which is why I think that the oldest car might be the highest risk to bring over (and pay the $1000 to ship, to only find out it needs a lot of new parts to get it to pass safety inspection). Everything seems to work okay on it (seat belts, windshield wipers, windows, brakes). The only one thing that I know would be an issue is the plastic on one of the rear tail lights is broken and we have it taped with red tape over it, which according to the safety inspection manual is not allowed, and that would require hundreds of dollars in a repair here before we would take it over. The windshield is cracked, but not enough to distract visibility (though I'm not sure if they consider any cracked windshield to distract visibility or not).

Our main interest here is saving money and having a car that runs. We don't care about comfort or whether the car is old (aesthetics).

Thanks for your help with your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 01:09 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,612,658 times
Cracked windshield is a no-no- It will not pass.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:11 PM

Even if it's down low like below where the windshield wipers sit? It still won't pass?

Old 01-23-2015, 01:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backpackerchik View Post
Even if it's down low like below where the windshield wipers sit? It still won't pass?
The shipper probably won't take it either.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:29 PM
Due

245 posts, read 381,687 times
In our case the shipper said they wouldn't accept it if the glass has rock or similar impacts.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:43 PM

Good to know. Matson's website says that you need to contact them and show them a photo of the windshield before they decide whether they will take it. Both of our cars have cracked windshields.

Other than the cracked windshields…which obviously might be a deterrent to even getting it on the boat…what other suggestions might you make regarding whether to buy a used car on the mainland, on Oahu or on the Big Island?

I doubt we'll go through the process of replacing two windshields (they're like $600 to replace!), but it's not out of the question, I guess. Fixing an old car sometimes is still better than buying a new one! But it's still a higher risk to bring a 20 year old car over and pay the $1100 to ship it.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:47 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,175,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backpackerchik View Post
Good to know. Matson's website says that you need to contact them and show them a photo of the windshield before they decide whether they will take it. Both of our cars have cracked windshields.

Other than the cracked windshields…which obviously might be a deterrent to even getting it on the boat…what other suggestions might you make regarding whether to buy a used car on the mainland, on Oahu or on the Big Island?

I doubt we'll go through the process of replacing two windshields (they're like $600 to replace!), but it's not out of the question, I guess. Fixing an old car sometimes is still better than buying a new one! But it's still a higher risk to bring a 20 year old car over and pay the $1100 to ship it.
Wow, I've replaced a lot of windshields out of pocket and don't think I have ever paid over $250. I have found Safellite is usually pretty reasonable.
We brought two cars when we moved, one simply as it was paid off and fairly low miles. The other was a first generation Toyota 4runner that I felt would be hard to find rust-free on the island. Since that time I have purchased another car on-island. Price wasn't bad, but selection is somewhat limited.
If you decide to buy here, be patient and you should find a decent vehicle. Seems a lot of folks just drive around with or park cars with for sale signs on them, Craigslist may not be used as widely here as in other places when selling cars.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:36 AM

941 posts, read 1,973,294 times
We shipped over a 96 impreza wagon with 150k because it was well maintained, ran perfectly, and was rust free. It did great over here (not so great mileage though, only 25 mpg), great little car for going camping. It had various repairs done here, and parts are always available, though often cheaper if you order them yourself on the Internet. I had bought it for 3700 with 90k on the mainland and sold it here in Hawaii 6 years later for 1800, still running strong (known to have good engines).

Oh yeah, it also had a tiny crack (1/4 inch) in the windshield that I did not declare to he shipping company, and I was a bit worried when dropping it off at the port of Oakland (declared it had no cracks), but it went through.

But my recommendation is to get another used car with good mpg to ship over. The subaru can be your AWD adventure car, but a smaller cheaper daily driver might be better. Something like a 6-8 year-old corolla, civic, Kia rio, scion xb, etc. those usually get in the 30's mpg. Or a Prius in the 40s. You can find them here on craigslist, but they are in demand here, so more expensive and usually more beat up. Craigslist is best for buying and selling cars, but a lot of people know and sell to each other without ever listing them, which is why the selection still isn't that great.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:13 PM

KauaiHiker,
Are you recommending buying a used one instead of shipping our 1995 Subaru over because of the gas mpg, at a minimum we'll need to replace the windshield, and we don't need two Subarus (similar type of car), then?

Both of our windshields are full cracks from the driver side to the passenger side the whole way.

Which company did you use to ship your car?
Thanks!

Old 01-25-2015, 06:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times
Generally it is always better to ship mainland cars. I wouldn't ship the Suburu as you don't need the 4 wheel drive penalty in Hawaii. Cars are more expensive in Hawaii.

You also get to deduct the cost of moving expenses on your tax return if you have work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: