Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 02:08 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,026,121 times

Advertisements

Yikes, saw a story tonight on KHNL about Rat Lungworm -be cautious if you decide to catch your own rain. Not the exact story below - but related.

"At least 60 cases of rat lungworm disease have been documented in humans in Hawai`i, most of them originating from the Puna district of Hawai`i Island. While symptoms can be mild and flu-like, there have been cases that have resulted in long-term disability and even death."

VIDEO: Rat Lungworm Disease Concerns Renewed – Big Island Video News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 10:10 AM

268 posts, read 386,416 times
So I read the article and tried to watch the video (got an error message that it was down). I'm trying to figure out the link between your statement of "be cautious if you decide to catch your own rain" and anything mentioned/written about in the article? It details nematodes deposited on produce from slugs (while the produce is growing on the ground), not from washing the produce with catchment water. Is there something in the video that connects to your statement?

Old 04-15-2015, 10:24 AM

308 posts, read 413,554 times
That's some nasty stuff! Is there no treatment for it that can safely kill it or remove it from the brain once it ends up there? Makes me reluctant to visit the Puna district because of it, since of course we'd want to eat fruit, there. I wonder how much washing you need to do to make sure your fruits/veggies have removed any trace of snails? Do they need to be dipped/soaked in bleach, for example?

Anyway, interesting, if rather terrifying, video! Thankfully, at least one of the commenters has given a link to a more specific article, which I'm getting ready to read just now. Thanks for posting the link to the video and article.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:28 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,026,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cam View Post
So I read the article and tried to watch the video (got an error message that it was down). I'm trying to figure out the link between your statement of "be cautious if you decide to catch your own rain" and anything mentioned/written about in the article?
The KHNL news story was about a guy who got it via rain catchment - looks like the story posted, and it is apparently also contaminated produce, but strange how it is all focused on the Big Island and not the other islands - perhaps to get produce off the island it gets washed?

Rat lungworm disease spreads fear across Hawaii Island - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Old 04-15-2015, 01:40 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,283,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The KHNL news story was about a guy who got it via rain catchment - looks like the story posted, and it is apparently also contaminated produce, but strange how it is all focused on the Big Island and not the other islands - perhaps to get produce off the island it gets washed?

Rat lungworm disease spreads fear across Hawaii Island - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
It must have been a slow news day -- rat lungworm disease is "old news." Over three years ago, the pharmacy school at UH Hilo held a "Rat Lungworm Forum." Here's a link to some of the FAQs about it…
Rat Lungworm FAQ - UH Hilo DKICP

Old 04-15-2015, 02:25 PM

Thanks! I'll read it now.

I have heard it mentioned, before, but didn't know what it was, nor that it affects humans. It always helps to be informed about such things, especially when someone may visit--or even move to--an affected area someday.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:34 PM

268 posts, read 386,416 times
I've seen it discussed before but do not recollect if standard catchment water filters and UV kill/filter it? What size micron filter would you need? There was a previous discussion about a filter that eliminates Bacteria, Protozoa, Cysts and everything else down to 0.1 micron. I think adding answers to those questions would be helpful to anyone who finds this thread in the future.

Edit: I read through the link posted above and found these answers -

Q. Where were the 9 documented cases in 2010? Who gathered the data? Would you mention (for catchment users) that a 20 micron sediment filter will block the 3rd instar?

This data was collected by the Hawaiʻi State Dept. of Health. Most cases were from the island of Hawaiʻi.

The CDC suggests that a 20 micron filter would probably be adequate. However, the 20 micron size pressure will only flatten the larvae against the filter, making them wider, which could still allow them to stretch out thin and get through when there was no pressure being exerted. Use of at least a 15 micron filter is preferred.

If chlorine is being used as water treatment, then one should also be using a 1-micron filter anyway for protozoa. If using a UV system, then it is recommended to filter down to a 5 micron plus have the UV rated to inactivate nematodes. (Class A). A 20-micron filter alone is really just a sediment filter and not adequate treatment for anything else.

Reference: Patricia Macomber, MPH, CTAHR/University of Hawaiʻi. Komohana Research and Extension Center.

Q. Will UV light kill slugs and snails and their nematodes?

We don’t think so; otherwise they would be dead in the environment. Studies would have to be completed using various intensities of UV light on isolated larvae to evaluate any effects.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:54 PM

I read those comments and links, too. Found the same info. But you're right--they didn't actually seem to cover catchment water or filters in the actual video. News stories often seem to get edited to leave out a lot of important or relevant stuff. Seems as if looking and researching further to get answers is always the way to go.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:57 PM

4,435 posts, read 4,976,489 times
All the cases I've read about rat lungworm traced the source back to insufficiently washed raw fresh produce. It also comes from eating raw freshwater prawns. The catchment water theory isn't new but you are probably much more likely to get leptospirosis from untreated water than you are rat lungworm, and they are equally unpleasant. Untreated water is untreated water whether it comes from your roof, well, or a stream. Don't drink it.

And yes, UV systems will kill 99.9999999% of the nasties so long as it's filtered down to 5 microns first. If filtered down to 10-20 microns, more like 99%. The less clear the water, the greater the chance the UV won't sterilize. I forget the exact number, but I seem to remember that a 0.5 micron filter will filter out the rat lungworm neotodes with no other sterilization effort, though not sure I would trust it.

Our catchment system uses a rough sediment filter, followed by a 20 micron filter, followed by a 5 micron carbon filter, followed by a UV sterilization unit, followed by a 0.5-1.0 micron filter. The smallest filter is only for the kitchen where the ice and drinking water comes from, but even our washing/bathing water is sterilized. I consider our treated water to be as good as anything you can buy in a bottle, and I don't worry about rat lungworm, leptospirosis, or anything else.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:05 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,144,451 times
Most folks say to stay out of the freshwater streams and waterfalls because of the possibility of leptospirosis. Something about pastures upstream or some such. It seems limited to fresh water, though.

You're supposed to really wash your fresh produce well to keep from rat lung worm. I was at a pot luck yesterday where one person didn't want to eat the salad because they didn't know if it had been washed enough. If they had prepared it, though, they would have eaten it.

Some of the reef fish are supposed to have ciguatera, not sure what you're supposed to do about that.

The hot ponds in Puna are supposed to be full of - at the moment, I can't remember which disease, it's late at night. Maybe it was hepatitis?

So, whatever we do, there's no hope of getting out of here alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: