Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 03:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,662 times

Advertisements

I am moving my family with 4 kids, 17, 13, 9, and 4 to Waimea area to attend HPA. Which neighborhood is the best atmosphere for raising children? 4 bedroom minimum, prefer 5. Other families nearby, parks, stores, riding bikes,etc. Is there one neighborhood which stands out as most desirable? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 12:45 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Nob Hill is considered desirable, but you may have difficulty finding a large enough house.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:19 AM

60 posts, read 63,587 times
There are three four bedroom homes for sale in the Lualai Subdivision from $465K to $545K. Nob Hill prices start at around $845K then go up to over three million. Lualai is very much a family neighborhood. A well planned subdivision "close to schools and shopping". I see kids riding their bikes in the streets all the time. I suggest you post your question on the Kona Web forum for more targeted responses from people who actually live in the area.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,662 times
Default Moving to Waimea with kids

Thank you! Now we are looking at shipping costs for cars, boat, etc. Also, does amazon charge more to ship there?

Old 06-26-2015, 12:56 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Anywhere from Vista View on the dry side to just before Lakeland on the wet side would be close to HPA and shopping and such. There is a shuttle bus that goes around in Waimea, but I'm not certain of it's route or times.

There's a newish subdivision being built over beside Waimea Middle School, is that Lualai? That one is nice and almost within walking distance to town if you're at the town end of the subdivision.

There's another one out on the dry side just before you get to the transfer station and I've chatted with someone who bought a house there and they weren't all that happy with their house, but they weren't happy about a lot of stuff so it may not have just been the house.

Right across from the park in Waimea are some new houses, but I don't know how big they are. In any case, find somewhere to rent first, when you are there you will be able to look around at the different areas and houses and find the one that fits. You'll also get a feel for what areas you go to the most and want to be closest to. As well as the climate. In Waimea it changes within a couple of miles so it's hard to find the exact sweet spot unless you're there.

Shipping for cars is all pretty much through Matson, Horizon or wasn't there another as well? But it gets discussed in detail here on the forum, a search would turn up loads of info.

Is this a boat that lives in a yard on a trailer? If it isn't, you may have a hard time finding a slip for it. Is it an ocean capable boat? If it's a lake boat you may as well leave it on the mainland since there's no protected waters to boat in, it's pretty much open ocean as soon as you leave the harbor. I suppose if it's a trailer boat and your rental doesn't allow trailers you could see about keeping it either at the boat yard over in Kailua-Kona or at a storage yard. There may be an area over by Kawaihae to keep it, too. I'm not certain, it's been awhile since we've had boats.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:39 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoldmom View Post
Thank you! Now we are looking at shipping costs for cars, boat, etc. Also, does amazon charge more to ship there?
Everyone charges more to ship to Hawaii! The best thing to do is join Amazon Prime. If you are looking for a new appliance at Sears, expect to tack on an additional $50 to their national ads, even when buying directly from the store.

Also, some places, like overstock.com, don't ship to Hawaii at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: