Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 07:54 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,165,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadhere View Post
Seems depressing (to me) if that's the case
It's not the case.
Kona is a large area extendeding from well above the airport (yes, hot, dry and lava fields) all the way down to past Kealakekua where it is wet, green and lush. I would guess that the majority of what is considered "Kona" is actually the green, tropical rainforest like area most people picture when thinking of Kona. May be the difference between whether you are talking about simply Kailua-Kona or the North and South Kona districts.

Last edited by Grassyknoll; 07-02-2015 at 08:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 06:12 AM

81 posts, read 182,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
It's not the case.
Kona is a large area extendeding from well above the airport (yes, hot, dry and lava fields) all the way down to past Kealakekua where it is wet, green and lush. I would guess that the majority of what is considered "Kona" is actually the green, tropical rainforest like area most people picture when thinking of Kona. May be the difference between whether you are talking about simply Kailua-Kona or the North and South Kona districts.
Yes I'm thinking of Kailua kona as the place in my previous posts. So is that more green then....

Old 07-03-2015, 10:40 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,165,076 times
Quote:
Yes I'm thinking of Kailua kona as the place in my previous posts. So is that more green then....
Kailua-Kona along the coast is dry and not very green. But as you drive inland and up mountain it becomes much greener. Most of the population lives up mountain and the higher you go, the cooler, wetter and greener it gets. A lot of days it is clear and sunny along the coastal beach area and cloudy and even rainy just a mile or two inland. You don't have to travel far for the climate and landscape to change.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:18 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
OOOPS. Of course, since I live there, I do know the difference. Where in the heck did THAT come from?
Hopefully, it was "auto-correct."

Old 07-03-2015, 12:49 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,348 times
Quote:
Google Maps might be helpful here…
Google Maps -- Kailua-Kona

The "coffee belt" which which starts "up mauka" at around the 1,500 foot level and extends south from Palani Rd. is relatively "green," compared to other parts of Kona. However, it's nowhere near as lush as Hāmākua, Hilo, and Puna.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:14 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,575,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
OOOPS. Of course, since I live there, I do know the difference. Where in the heck did THAT come from?
Another insidious and not well documented side affect of continuous exposure to VOG mixed with sunshine.

There's that, and the other one

I'd worry more about this;

Central Pacific Hurricane Center - Honolulu, Hawai`i

Old 07-03-2015, 01:34 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,344,985 times
Obviously you shouldn't move anywhere, especially Hawaii, w/o visiting first and staying a while to see if it suits you. It's money well spent. We're pretty sure we're moving from the Daytona Beach area of Florida to St. Pete, which is maybe 2 1/2 hours away, and you better believe we'll stay there for about a week before putting a for sale sign here. On paper it looks like a smart move, but we've been surprised before!

I've never used the Airbnb method for short term housing before, but we're going to go that route when we visit St. Pete. The rates look very attractive, and it should be nice staying w/ people that know the area. All the things you mention like VOG, a sense of isolation, boredom, wet and humid (although for sure not Florida humid), island fever, etc are legitimate concerns. You'll never know by depending on someone else's experiences, you have to see for yourself.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Google Maps might be helpful here…
Google Maps -- Kailua-Kona

The "coffee belt" which which starts "up mauka" at around the 1,500 foot level and extends south from Palani Rd. is relatively "green," compared to other parts of Kona. However, it's nowhere near as lush as Hāmākua, Hilo, and Puna.
I just want to see palm trees and a normal amount of "green".....not interested in living in a tropical jungle and being bathed in humid climate. But I'm getting the feeling that finding what I want on the big island is too difficult.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:34 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,676,166 times
The Big Island has something like 11 of the 13 climates found around the world. That's one of the reasons that we like living there!

Yes, there are beaches with swaying palm trees. There are also tropical jungles, fields of lava, green pastures, and even permafrost on top of Mauna Kea. Some parts of the island are very green, and some are drier. Heck, even Waimea has a wet side and a dry side (like a previous poster said). Just in my subdivision, which goes from 800 foot elevation to 1400 feet, we have differing amounts of rain and wind.

The amount of humidity varies, too. Where I live we have a constant breeze from the trade winds, but when I go to Kailua Kona it feels really muggy to me.

What is a "normal amount of green" to you?

Old 07-05-2015, 07:17 AM

Just balanced as far as green- not interested in a tropical jungle but don't want to see lava fields. I'm not really fond of the multiple climates since they change so rapidly in close proximity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island