Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 10:08 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadhere View Post
Just balanced as far as green- not interested in a tropical jungle but don't want to see lava fields. I'm not really fond of the multiple climates since they change so rapidly in close proximity.
Well, that pretty much rules out the Big Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 02:02 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Yup, doesn't sound like you'd be happy here. Where do you really want to live? Doesn't sound like it's gonna be here, though.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:58 AM

101 posts, read 138,620 times
The magic 8 ball is saying no.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:40 PM

81 posts, read 182,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Yup, doesn't sound like you'd be happy here. Where do you really want to live? Doesn't sound like it's gonna be here, though.
California

Old 07-08-2015, 02:40 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Can your husband's job transfer to California? Seems it would be better all around if you could go to where you want to be.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Can your husband's job transfer to California? Seems it would be better all around if you could go to where you want to be.
There are jobs in his field out there but he hasn't had any luck yet.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:36 AM

268 posts, read 383,433 times
Quote:
There are jobs in his field out there but he hasn't had any luck yet.
I'm curious, where in California would the climate be ideal for you?

Old 07-10-2015, 04:42 AM

95 posts, read 129,754 times
Quote:
How is the the city of kona....need more info
The first time I visited Kona, I LOVED it! But.. I was a tourist. Now... I avoid it. I usually go to Huggos.. maybe some shops that I can't find on the other side of the island, Costco.. and I book it out of town as fast as I can. That being said.. Kona is lovely. But its the tourist hub of the island, with the cute wharf like setting along the water. That is what drew me to Big Island to begin with. But.. at least for me.. it got old, and fast.. and I escaped to the other side where things are more quiet.

I do not think people move to the big island for a vibrant city or night life. They move to get away from it all, relax, enjoy nature and the beauty in front of you. To truly live your life.. and not have constant entertainment in front of you.. that you find on the mainland and in cities. I find myself pulling away from cities, and mainland ways.. more and more. I love Hawaii and the way of life. But it certainly is not for everyone.

Each area of the island is so very different. But drive 5-30 min, and you can be in a totally different area to your liking. That is actually what makes Big Island so incredible. You dont like the weather.. wait a bit, or take a drive. It wont take you long to find the weather you want. The entire island is beautiful.. each area unique and different from the next. But you have to really have an appreciation for mother nature to find all of these areas complexities equally interesting and wonderful.

Good luck on your decision..

Old 07-10-2015, 04:50 AM

95 posts, read 129,754 times
Quote:
I just want to see palm trees and a normal amount of "green".....not interested in living in a tropical jungle and being bathed in humid climate. But I'm getting the feeling that finding what I want on the big island is too difficult.
Basically.. if you dont want humidity.. you will have to avoid ALL tropical islands.. and quite honestly most coastal towns.. especially those in warmer climates.

I do not know what a normal amount of green is.. being I dont know what the area you live in looks like. But if you want green grass and lush growing plants... it requires rain. Rain mixed with warm weather.. gives you humidity.. no matter where you go.

It sounds like you want Utopia.. and you are only going to find that in yourself.. not a location. I have absolutely NO idea where you could find you wish list of perfect.. without something not fitting for you. You want a lively city with good dining and entertainment.. so I have gathered. You want a nice place with palm trees and a normal amount of green But you want to avoid being bathed in humidity. Well... most places who have palm trees native to the area.. are going to be humid. At the very least in summer months.

I could list tons of coastal cities which are wonderful between San Diego to Astoria.. but I suspect none would fit the wish list. So... either take a leap of faith and have a great experience and story... or dont. You may find that you love it on Hawaii.. but you wont know without visiting. If you dont like it.. leave. People do it all the time. But at least you tried something different, and something outside of your comfort zone. Risk taking is fun! lol

Old 07-10-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1heat4u View Post
Basically.. if you dont want humidity.. you will have to avoid ALL tropical islands.. and quite honestly most coastal towns.. especially those in warmer climates.

I do not know what a normal amount of green is.. being I dont know what the area you live in looks like. But if you want green grass and lush growing plants... it requires rain. Rain mixed with warm weather.. gives you humidity.. no matter where you go.

It sounds like you want Utopia.. and you are only going to find that in yourself.. not a location. I have absolutely NO idea where you could find you wish list of perfect.. without something not fitting for you. You want a lively city with good dining and entertainment.. so I have gathered. You want a nice place with palm trees and a normal amount of green But you want to avoid being bathed in humidity. Well... most places who have palm trees native to the area.. are going to be humid. At the very least in summer months.

I could list tons of coastal cities which are wonderful between San Diego to Astoria.. but I suspect none would fit the wish list. So... either take a leap of faith and have a great experience and story... or dont. You may find that you love it on Hawaii.. but you wont know without visiting. If you dont like it.. leave. People do it all the time. But at least you tried something different, and something outside of your comfort zone. Risk taking is fun! lol
Risk taking is not always fun....I moved to southern Vermont from ny because my of my husbands new job. I wasn't reluctant toward Vermont at first and thought it would be neat living there. Boy was I wrong. I had been to Vermont before visiting and thought it seemed nice.....a nice place to visit that is but I realized living here was a different story. It may have to do partly with location we chose even though it's only 10 minutes or so away from a busier town but overall I'm so sick and bored to death here. Everything gets old fast and it just feels so very isolating to me and to an extent it is kind of rural especially in comparison to where I used to live. You cant even get to a mall without driving over an hour. I'm not a mall person but sometimes you need to shop for clothes and do practical things that requires shopping and stores. Vermont is a very earthy place and requires a certain type of personality to fit in well as I soon learned. I'm just not that person- no I'm not an outdoors earthy physical adventurous person. I do certainly have an appreciation for nature and it's beauty- especially northern California- its beaches, wonderful trees....just something there that feels so nice. Vermont has its beauty but it just gets old to me- maybe because everything looks the same for miles and miles. I also hate the super long dreary winter and miss the sun.
I understand the perfect weather may not exist but I just would like something more consistent and not have to worry that the next mile in we'll land in a tropical sweaty jungle. I bet southern California would probably ft my liking as far as weather but I've never been there. Anyway obviously I would have to visit Hawaii before making final judgments but my gut is probably right as from the description a lot of it sounds eerily similar to where I am now with the rural factor. And aside from the rest, the vog thing disturbs me but maybe I'm wrong since noone else here seems to mind. Maybe I've watched too many movies on volcanoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island