Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2015, 04:31 PM

84 posts, read 152,843 times

Advertisements

How's Puna doing since all that lava scare? Did the Malama grocery open back up? We skipped Puna last year to give the residents their space during the crisis. Hurricane time at that time, too. But we are going to be back in November. I was wondering if things are back to normal. Red Road open? Ahalanui Park still awesome? Anything we should consider since we haven't been in the area since 2013? Also, is it pretty rainy beginning of November. My memory is that the weather is usually nice in the morning and goes downhill from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 01:10 PM

4,426 posts, read 4,957,385 times
Things are back to normal and everything is reopened. When you get here, check out the Pahoa transfer station. You can see where the lava came right up next to it. Regarding the rain, we have the wet season and the slightly more wet season. November might be a few degrees cooler than summer time but that's about it.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:08 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,612,658 times
Wait until you see the Albizia "forest" between Nanawale and Lava tree park. Some changes since hurricane Iselle.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:44 AM

101 posts, read 139,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Wait until you see the Albizia "forest" between Nanawale and Lava tree park. Some changes since hurricane Iselle.
Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I drove through. Looked like Gojira walked over it.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:50 PM

I remember seeing photos and was so disappointed because it used to be a beautiful drive. But I understand that the people who live near these trees found them to be a nuisance and dangerous at times.

Any chance of seeing the active lava? There really wasn't much viewing the last time I looked because it was not on public land and because it was so close to trees that it was dangerous. Or so the authorities said.

And, just because someone might know, any good vegan eats out there?

Old 07-05-2015, 04:24 PM

It's OK, the view has just changed, much more sun now. Unfortunately the powers that be have deemed hot lava too dangerous to see up close and personal. Twenty five years ago it didn't seem risky at all, (I remember standing over an active tube at Kalapana, talking to a cop and having my slippers melt.) The closest I come to vegan is a side salad with my steak.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:14 PM

Thanks Leilaniguy.

I got up close to a sky light with a guide back in '06. The only dangerous thing about it was when I looked up for a moment on the hike back to the car. I stepped between two lava rocks and sliced my leg open. But that was on me, not the lava. We need to take personal responsibility when we are out in nature. Too bad the powers that be won't let us.

Are there areas where we can walk on some of the new lava. Any websites that have good photos of the landscape so we can find it by landmarks or street names? I assume Google earth is up to date on their street view.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:19 PM

Go to the waste transfer station on Apa'a St. in Pahoa. It came within a few feet of destroying it. Great views of fresh lava you can walk on, plenty parking. Edited to add: Neither Google maps or Bing maps have updated photos, but USGS HVO has blow by blow aerial shots in their archives.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 07-05-2015 at 06:28 PM..

Old 07-05-2015, 09:24 PM

Great! Can't wait to hear that special crunch sound and feel the mana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island