Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 05:18 AM

5 posts, read 39,992 times

Advertisements

Aloha Everyone..
I bought a home last year in Pahoa..in the Hawaiian Beaches Sub-Division, and our family is planing a move here next year, we have at 5 year old that will start first grade when we move here to the big isalnd and I'm having a real hard time finding good information about what school I should enroll him in. I would like to go the Public school route..but want to make sure I pick the best for him.
I look forward to your suggestions and thoughts.
Mahalo,
Johnnycake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 01:43 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnycake View Post
Aloha Everyone..
I bought a home last year in Pahoa..in the Hawaiian Beaches Sub-Division, and our family is planing a move here next year, we have at 5 year old that will start first grade when we move here to the big isalnd and I'm having a real hard time finding good information about what school I should enroll him in. I would like to go the Public school route..but want to make sure I pick the best for him.
Mahalo,
Johnnycake
Keonepoko Elementary is almost adequate for a public school in the Pahoa area; however, your son probably won't receive a high-quality education via the public school route on the Big Island. Malamalama Waldorf School (a private school located in HPP) provides a better elementary education than the public schools in the area.

For more information on public schools in Hawai'i, here's a link...
http://doe.k12.hi.us/

Old 03-26-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Puna Schools

Thank you so much for the response..and advice..will take that to heart and check out the Waldorf School.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Keonepoko Elementary is almost adequate for a public school in the Pahoa area; however, your son probably won't receive a high-quality education via the public school route on the Big Island. Malamalama Waldorf School (a private school located in HPP) provides a better elementary education than the public schools in the area.

For more information on public schools in Hawai'i, here's a link...
http://doe.k12.hi.us/

Old 04-01-2007, 08:36 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
Just a second: don't send him to public school.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:36 PM

Mahalo...I got the picture..it's not the way to go on the island..The Waldorf was a great suggestion, he's currently in a wonderful Montassori school and I think Waldorf will be most like it.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 8,974 times
I am planning to move to the big island and I was wondering what high school would be best to send my 2 teenage boys

Old 04-03-2007, 04:47 AM

I recomend you post this question out there...also you should state what part ot the big island you are moving too.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 16,812 times
Default Drive from Pahoa to HPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnycake View Post
Aloha Everyone..
Mahalo,
Johnnycake
I could very well be in the same situation as you were. Youngster attending school in HPP and am wondering how it all worked out. How was the drive I imagine it to be approx to 30 minutes (was that excessive) and want to know how was your experience and whether you would recommend the Waldorf school or another school for that matter. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
Mahalo

Old 02-14-2008, 10:30 PM

126 posts, read 688,571 times
Malamalama Waldorf School is *wonderful*
Public school system is *awful*

I've been associated with both.

Cindy's school (now charter ) is also terrific, but the funding, infrastructure, and other supports are very fleeting for charters.

Drive from Pahoa to HPP is very short. Maybe 10 minutes.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:04 PM

2 posts, read 16,812 times
Thanks for the response IntotheMystic my son now 2 1/2 still has some time before we have to think about school but want to have that in mind when we buy our house. Our other alternative is St. Joseph's but that won't be until I join the workforce and are able to afford the tuition. Any thoughts on St. Joseph's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island