Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 07:08 PM

126 posts, read 688,833 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't hesitate to send my kid to St. Joe's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,068 times
I agree on St. Joes. Don't let Malamalama fool you. It is not a certified Waldorf school. Most of the teachers do not have college degrees. They fall back on the Waldorf philosophy of children learning at their own pace to disguise the fact that they don't teach or know how to teach children.

The totally sorry state of public schools in east Hawaii allows Mala to disguise itself as some sort of acceptable alternative. It is not. Believe me, I have experience with them.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:19 PM

14 posts, read 53,958 times
I wonder what non-religious schools would be good in the Puna area for elementary? Can be charter or private, after what I've read about public

Thanks

Old 09-18-2009, 12:23 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times
Some of what you have read is exaggerated. I am very pleasantly surprised at the Pahoa Elem. school and this is our first year in the school. I think that many of the negative comments have come from very old experiences.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:03 AM

432 posts, read 1,202,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Some of what you have read is exaggerated....
Completely agree.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:39 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
I was hoping the stories were being exaggerated. Maybe with the right attitude from the parents at home, the public schools would be sufficient?

Old 09-20-2009, 01:23 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times
It seems that while things may have been bad in the past, rather drastic changes have been taking place in the 2-3 years. We are very pleasantly surprised with what our boys are experiencing so far. No fights, bullying, etc. We talk to them daily about what is going on in their classes and social lives.

The huge numbers of video cameras and on-site security probably have a lot to do with the changes. Students may feel like they have to be careful since they are most likely on video. While that may sound like a sad commentary - if it works, I won't complain. Change takes time. If the schools can go several years like this, with changed attitudes, it will completely change the behaviors of the student body.
We also like the mandatory wearing of school T-shirts. This makes rich and poor students appear to each other to be on an equal level to each other.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,034 times
Before everyone panics about Hawaii's public schools, there are more important things to consider. If you have a family that will guide and support your child, he/she should do well in the public school. I speak as a retired teacher, a parent, and a grandparent. Save your money for the college years. The most important element in a child's success in school is the support of the parent.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:00 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanipuna View Post
The most important element in a child's success in school is the support of the parent.
If only that were true.

I know many parents who have despaired because despite all their loving support, they were fighting an uphill battle with public schools which could not maintain a learning atmosphere and classroom discipline, and teachers who were ill-equipped to keep young minds challenged and learning.

With all due respect to your experience, there is a reason Hawai'i consistently ranks behind most of the country in public school quality.

Also note that the thread is from 2009.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:10 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanipuna View Post
Before everyone panics about Hawaii's public schools, there are more important things to consider. If you have a family that will guide and support your child, he/she should do well in the public school. I speak as a retired teacher, a parent, and a grandparent. Save your money for the college years. The most important element in a child's success in school is the support of the parent.
As was pointed out, this is an old thread. But I will respond to the above recent posting, for the benefit of anyone in the future who read it:

The best of parenting is oftentimes not an adequate offset for a child being in a terrible public school, anywhere (not just Hawaii). I consider myself a great parent, and very involved with whatever schools my children attend. My children have 100% support from me, and I have always made it a point to meet all their teachers, as well as the principles, and to volunteer. That said, THERE ARE SOME PUBLIC SCHOOLS IN HAWAII THAT I WOULD NOT SEND MY CHILDREN TO. Those are the years we go for a district exemption or we pay for private school. Do not underestimate the importance, as a parent, of doing adequate research on the differences between the schools in Hawaii. K-5 campus might be great, while 6-8 campus awful, and 9-12 good ... or any combo of the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island