Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 06:09 PM
b_a b_a started this thread

20 posts, read 24,992 times

Advertisements

Longtime lurker here. Sometime next year, my wife (Hilo-born, with friends and family on-Island) and I are planning to move to Volcano from Oregon. We've decided upon this area for several reasons, but mainly proximity to her mother in Mountain View, temperate climate, and affordable housing. I've got some questions to start with (which I'm sure OpenD would tell me to do a search for, if he wasn't too busy to post here!) that hopefully I can get current answers to:

1. Do I need to be on-island to do a job search, or will I be able to do any preliminary work from Mainland? My experience is in automotive/truck parts mainly, but I have picked up some diagnostic competence, computer networking and electronics as well as a CDL with endorsements from working for a school district transportation department.

2. If we need internet, do we need to find a house (rental or purchase) with a current internet hookup and have it transferred into our name to get cable or DSL? Satellite is just an expensive PITA, from my experience at a VRBO rental in Aloha Estates last fall.

3. Is there any OTA TV up there? I see PBS has a translator in the area. Looked at an online tool and it seems like its pretty bad.

4. If we ship a 20' container, should we just buy an ocean-certified one here and sell it when we get there?

5. Any place for a guitarist to jam? I don't play slack key but am good with what I do...

Seems like a good place to pause. Thanks for reading - look forward to hearing from you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 02:03 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Can you live with your mother in law for a month or so while you settle in? Can she ask around for rentals for you?

You'll probably want to rent first, you may find that you prefer a different location than Volcano once you try it out. The climate can change within several miles, mostly because of a change in elevation. Or you may find that Volcano is perfect and then you'll have time to find the perfect house.

Mountain View is pretty central on the Hilo side, so you'd be able to rent pretty much anywhere from Volcano to Hilo and still easily visit with mom. For traffic reasons, if it were me, I'd stay somewhere along that Hilo - Volcano corridor and not do the Keaau-Pahoa highway.

For your job search, most of your talents seem to lie in the areas where employers want to see the prospective employees except perhaps for the computer work. You could see if DOE needs a school bus driver, that may not pay all that well, but it might be a start. I'm not sure if that would be through the DOE (our school system is a statewide system so there's only one) or if Roberts (a tour bus company) does their buses. You could ask DOE and find out, I suppose. Automotive and truck parts would be based out of Hilo so living on the other side of mom might be helpful for commuting if you ended up in Hilo. Or you may find you prefer living in Hilo itself. So until you find the job, you won't know your daily commute so renting would be best.

Does mom have a spot to park a container for awhile? Then you'd not have to unload and sell it immediately. If you get an insulated aluminum container they're the most useful afterwards. If it's a high cube (taller than usual) one, then you could even add windows and doors and convert it to living space. Most properties are allowed a guest house of less than 500 square feet.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:55 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
For your OTA channels check with the FCC OTA map of Mountainview HI. They say 5 channels, less the higher up you go.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:41 PM

We'll probably VRBO it for a month or so until we get rental/purchase figured out. Have you ever tried living with a older relative that lives alone? We really liked the climate in Aloha Estates over Mom's place in MV - cooler and less mosquitoes - so we figure near the Village ought to be better yet, plus in a more "urban" area.

School buses are all contracted out, so that would be working for Roberts. I'd rather get something in government since I'm used to working in that setting, but I'm afraid I may be too haole to be considered. Just scares me spitless to move somewhere without employment.

Not sure about parking a container at Mom's - can it be stored at Shipman Industrial Park? Anyone know what that costs? Haven't seen anything in an insulated aluminum container, or a hi-cube 20' either for that matter - just the regular steel ones that are graded from chicken coop up to certified ocean worthy. Wonder if it's better to order and buy one from Matson than our local container dealer.

leilaniguy, that FCC map completely ignores translators. I use tvfool.com and it shows a PBS translator (virtual channel 10) registered to Kilauea Military Camp on channel 41 that should be watchable. Anybody on here that can verify? I guess if we can get hi speed internet we can stream, or bite the bullet and pay Dish or DirectTV.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:54 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a View Post
I'd rather get something in government since I'm used to working in that setting, but I'm afraid I may be too haole to be considered.
Uh - "haole" - your racist term - mostly get premium jobs. It is what it is.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:00 AM

for myself, I've always considered haole more of a descriptive term than a racist term, although I suppose it does describe race so perhaps it is technically racist, but that term leaves a bad taste in folk's mouths. I figure folks use the Hawaiian word "haole" 'cuz "Caucasian" is hard to say and spell.

Well, for government jobs, other than being haole, the other drawback is being "not from around here". That's actually more critical. Government jobs are considered to be desirable jobs so they will frequently go to someone the person hiring knows if possible.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:14 PM

Perhaps I should have said "Mainland haole." I don't consider it racist either, just a way of saying "low on the melanin scale." Although my wife is local haole and was pretty badly treated back in the day at St. Joe.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:55 PM

There was a container for sale on Craig's List. I forget the details, but they were asking over $5K. So, that might give you an idea of what an empty container is worth. It was a high cube, although I forget how long it was.

Would some of the trucking companies or a storage place have a place to put a container? Every time you move them, though, it costs money so you don't want to be shifting them around real often.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:13 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Is there really a good reason for the OP to buy his own container? He said that he was thinking of selling it after he arrives. Is it really cheaper to buy your own container? What about all of the logistics of arranging to have it shipped?

Old 07-17-2015, 12:01 AM

Well, if I can purchase a container for $2600 here in the NW, and sell it on BI for $4000, seems like I'm money ahead, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island