Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 11:59 AM

11 posts, read 11,375 times

Advertisements

I'm going to the big island for the first time in October. There is some good information on this thread. Thanks guys!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 11:34 PM

28 posts, read 35,255 times
Thanks for the correction on Saddle road. I would have been needlessly scared away from it. I appreciate the future hours of my life back. Mahalo!

Old 08-14-2015, 06:20 AM

101 posts, read 139,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drey1891 View Post
Thanks for the correction on Saddle road. I would have been needlessly scared away from it. I appreciate the future hours of my life back. Mahalo!
Driving around the top and bottom are the only way to see many things but if you need to get to one side or the other with no stop offs, over the top is the way to go. Plus its insanely beautiful up there.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:24 PM

11 posts, read 11,375 times
I'm back from my trip to the Big Island. I stayed at they Marriott in Waikoloa. I am just amazed at the beauty of the island. I went zip lining in the botanical gardens and did an off-road Segway tour. I was the only one on the Segway tour and I saw the most beautiful scenery. Also tried a lot of local fruits that were growing wild. I also took a helicopter trip over the active volcanoes and coastal waterfalls. I especially liked the town of Waimea. I fell in love with this Island and I am seriously thinking of buying my retirement home there.

I'm back on the mainland, but I left my heart on the island of Hawaii.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:24 AM

15 posts, read 70,999 times
Hello, I lived in Hilo for 3 years (live on Maui now) and the Big Island is amazing - I've been to all the Hawaiian Islands (except Ni'ihau and Kaho'olawe of course)and the Big Island is by far my favorite. I would move back if I could. These are some of my favorite things to do on the Big Island. I am really outdoorsy but that's what the Big Island does better than any of the other islands.

1- Hiking Volcano NP - Kilauea Iki is popular but good, also check out the end of Hilina Pali road/Ka'aha trail - it is the best view in the state I think

2- Manta Ray snorkel/dive in Kona - just incredible. YouTube it.

3- Snorkel/dive "Two Step" (Pu'uhonua o Honaunau) and Captain Cook.

4- Stargazing Mauna Kea

5- Enjoying 100% Kona and/or Ka'u coffee

6- The Hilo Farmer's Market

7- Waipio Valley

8- Enjoy the food - Malasadas at Tex, Hilo Bay Cafe, the little Italian restaurant in Honoka'a, Cronies, Le Magic Pan French Restaurant (great place - I played jazz piano there for nearly three years)

9- Carlsmith Beach Park "4 mile" - Freshwater springs run into the ocean. What more could you want.

That's just a start, but hope it helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island